Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

A320 type rating

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

A320 type rating

Old 19th Jun 2018, 02:20
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Srilanka
Posts: 1
A320 type rating

I'm currently holding a Srilankan CPL/IR Multi endosement with ATPL subjects. I want to do a type rating on A320 in USA. Do I need to ATP course as well. Or is it possible for me to do just the type rating in the states?
nayo2714 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2018, 18:15
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 396
Well, the main question to consider is, does the State which issued your CPL license (Srilanka) approve a TR which is issued by the FAA (US)? Because some countries won't - e.g. the EASA (Europe) doesn't except FAA issued TR for certification purpose. However, if you hold an FAA license besides your Srilanka license, then you could add an FAA TR on your FAA license. In this case you should refer to the minimum requirements for a TR as stated by the TR provider (usually this info can also be found on the website). But I assume that for an FAA TR one must hold at least a R-ATP (R=restricted). Generally speaking this means that you need 1500hr and 200hr x-country time. See link(s) below:

The 1500 Hour Rule - Restricted ATP Requirements for First Officers Boldmethod

FAR PART 61.160 Aeronautical experience - airplane category restricted privileges
(f) A person who has 1,500 hours total time as a pilot, 200 hours of cross-country flight time, and otherwise meets the aeronautical experience requirements of 61.159 may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate under this section.
Source: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=45a1929b57508020762a6dd7a163deb2&mc=true&node=se14.2 .61_1160&rgn=div8
Transsonic2000 is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2018, 09:06
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,813
The FAA will issue a TR on a private or commercial certificate. The checkride will be done to ATP standards no matter what level certificate the candidate holds. The question is do you want the type on your Sirlankan license or do you want it on a FAA certificate? I don't know if any US training centers are set up with the Sirlankan CAA to issue TRs. If you want it on a FAA certificate you would go through all the hoops an American would go through.
MarkerInbound is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2018, 09:26
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,244
You don't have to do ATP. Just ask Sri Lankan CAA if they recognise FAA type rating training
pilotchute is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.