Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > North America
Reload this Page >

JAA IR to FAA IR requirements

North America Still the busiest region for commercial aviation.

JAA IR to FAA IR requirements

Old 8th Apr 2014, 20:32
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: europe
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JAA IR to FAA IR requirements

Hi everybody,

I have completed my JAA IR flight training in Europe, passed the skills test there and did my IR renewal in August 2013.

What do I need to do now in order to obtain an FAA IR? Do I have to do a checkride with an FAA examiner, or is it sufficient to pass the written test?

airman44 is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2014, 13:37
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: atlanta georgia
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's being twenty plus years since I did it so it may have changed.I belive you will have to get a private or commercial license first.Not a licence validation based on your foreign licence but an actual private / commercial then the faa instrument written exam and a flight test.I sure someone on here will have more up to date info.You could also contact one of the many EASA/FAA schools in the US and I'm sure they will tell you exactly what is required.
candler is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2014, 14:42
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Europe
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looked into this myself,if you have enough experience for ATP then 1 written test pick cheap type rating and get both together.
otherwise CPL written ,IR written and check flights,a few hours with FAA CFI for sign offs required also.not to mention medical and security clearance.Can all be done for around 6K GBP I think based on previous experience.
justasmallfire is offline  
Old 9th Apr 2014, 18:07
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,886
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. You will have to get either a 61.75 (based on) private or go the full route and get a regular FAA private certificate.

2. If you get the 61.75 you then complete either the foreign pilot instrument written or the regular instrument written. The instrument rating is added to the based on certificate and you are good to go as long as the JAA license is good.

3. If you get a stand alone FAA private, you would then complete the regular FAA instrument written, get the required training and do a regular checkride.
MarkerInbound is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.