Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

AAC Helicopter Pilots - Minimum Rank Lowered To Private

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

AAC Helicopter Pilots - Minimum Rank Lowered To Private

Old 1st Feb 2022, 15:39
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 1,370
AAC Helicopter Pilots - Minimum Rank Lowered To Private


https://www.forces.net/news/british-...licopter-pilot
RAFEngO74to09 is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 16:20
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,951
That will confuse those complaining about Private Flying on Government business.
MPN11 is online now  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 16:37
  #3 (permalink)  

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England
Age: 75
Posts: 3,733
That will confuse those complaining about Private Flying on Government business.
Spot on!!

Doesn't the AAC have Sgt pilots anymore?
Herod is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 16:52
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by Herod View Post
Doesn't the AAC have Sgt pilots anymore?
Yes, it just means the pool of potential candidates has become more inclusive which is very good news in my book. The rank/age restrictions of old meant plenty of potential candidates were outside of the parameters.
trim it out is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 17:11
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,951
How do the pay scales work? I assume the usual Flying Pay, or whatever it's called now. But they must be among the cheapest Pilots going ... albeit with interesting career options after 8 years [or whatever].
MPN11 is online now  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 17:12
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Darling - where are we?
Posts: 2,553
I wonder if the AAC will now be able to chose Dir AAvn on 2050 on the basis of someone’s hand eye coordination when they were a 20 year old Private soldier?

Or will just the RAF persist in that as being a criteria for advancement to the most senior ranks?
Melchett01 is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 17:16
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,951
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Melchett01 View Post
I wonder if the AAC will now be able to chose Dir AAvn on 2050 on the basis of someone’s hand eye coordination when they were a 20 year old Private soldier?

Or will just the RAF persist in that as being a criteria for advancement to the most senior ranks?
"Do you hunt?"

"Naah, mate, Well, only tottie. But I can fly at 5 feet with the best of 'em."
MPN11 is online now  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 17:32
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by MPN11 View Post
How do the pay scales work? I assume the usual Flying Pay, or whatever it's called now. But they must be among the cheapest Pilots going ... albeit with interesting career options after 8 years [or whatever].
For an example:
Sgt pilot, year 1, supplement 4: £39,896 + RRP(F)
Capt pilot, year 1: £44,096 + RRP(F)

So a £4200pa cheaper option at a rough guess.
trim it out is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 19:56
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 23,403
I’m assuming that is for the training side and they will be promoted to Sgt when qualified?
NutLoose is offline  
Old 1st Feb 2022, 20:15
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
I’m assuming that is for the training side and they will be promoted to Sgt when qualified?
They are local Sgt on course (unless already substantive) and become substantive on wings or CTT, I can't remember, probably CTT as that's when they transfer to AAC if an E3.
trim it out is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 11:43
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 1,734
How do the pay scales work? I assume the usual Flying Pay, or whatever it's called now. But they must be among the cheapest Pilots going ... albeit with interesting career options after 8 years [or whatever].
The remainder of the AAC Twitter thread on the subject notes that there will be a recommendation to promotion to Lance Corporal, so whatever current Lance Corporal pilots are paid I'd imagine. Actually, if this is the case in truth there won't actually be any Private pilots.
melmothtw is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 13:24
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by melmothtw View Post
The remainder of the AAC Twitter thread on the subject notes that there will be a recommendation to promotion to Lance Corporal, so whatever current Lance Corporal pilots are paid I'd imagine. Actually, if this is the case in truth there won't actually be any Private pilots.
They won't be LCpl pilots.

All that has changed is the rank requirements to apply for the pilot course. It used to be LCpl recommended Cpl. Now you can apply as Pte or equivalent recommended LCpl.

They will be granted local Sgt (paid at the rank/trade they were on application) on course and promoted to substantive Sgt on wings with supplement 4 and RRP(F) on completion of CTT
trim it out is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 15:48
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,951
And now it makes sense! Thank you!

RAF ATC followed a similar route to Sgt ATC Controller, without the candidates having to wait for years to reach sgt and go on the course.
MPN11 is online now  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 16:28
  #14 (permalink)  
Below the Glidepath - not correcting
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,810
It does make sense to widen the selection pool to the spotty youth community, but the rank criteria (whatever NCO level it was) was previously predicated on pilot applicants having acquired a reasonable knowledge of how the Army works. AAC was always required to operate in All-Arms environment, so a knowledge of wider operations than those acquired from your original branch made sense. Does this mean DAAvn think that knowledge base is less critical, or that the (junior and less experienced) pilots will always be supervised by a grown up?

Having flown with newly qualified pilots from Corporal to Major, amazingly enough, rank was never an indicator of ability!
Two's in is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 16:38
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South East of Penge
Age: 72
Posts: 1,673
I remember Corporal F104G Starfighter pilots in the German Air Force..............
Haraka is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2022, 16:57
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Alles Über
Posts: 278
Originally Posted by Two's in View Post
It does make sense to widen the selection pool to the spotty youth community, but the rank criteria (whatever NCO level it was) was previously predicated on pilot applicants having acquired a reasonable knowledge of how the Army works. AAC was always required to operate in All-Arms environment, so a knowledge of wider operations than those acquired from your original branch made sense. Does this mean DAAvn think that knowledge base is less critical, or that the (junior and less experienced) pilots will always be supervised by a grown up?

Having flown with newly qualified pilots from Corporal to Major, amazingly enough, rank was never an indicator of ability!
As you've said, the rank requirement was to make use of the experience gained as soldiers progressed towards Cpl. Why they had this rule for soldiers but a 2Lt with no experience outside of Sandhurst was a suitable candidate (when in times past they would do a detachment with a field Army unit before the pilot course) was never clarified. I think now common sense has prevailed and experience outside of aviation doesn't necessarily make a better Army Pilot.
Again, as you've also said, the junior pilot regardless of rank will always be supervised by a "grown up", who could also be any rank.
trim it out is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2022, 16:31
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: North of East, South of West
Posts: 36
They said it was 'progress' when they introduced Cpl Pilots in the mid 80's. As usual just another ploy to increase the numbers applying and giving them hope of a career.
At the current rate of progression through the course, they'll be getting their wings and pension on the same day.
Squat switch is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2022, 17:10
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 341
The other way to view this is that with the size of the army shrinking, there isn't the breadth of applicants anymore at the appropriate rank with suitable experience. This doesn't overcome the experience issue but it does capture talent before they get disillusioned and bang out....
HEDP is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2022, 18:48
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where-ever nav's chooses....
Posts: 738
I’d also note that this is also open to OR1s in the RN and RAF. Convert to AAC on Wings.
alfred_the_great is offline  
Old 14th Feb 2022, 19:03
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,951
And surely a skip-load of RAF Officer pilots still get into the FT system with bugger-all experience of All-Arms warfare but with a 2-2 in Ancient Greek? At least, that was the view of my DE aircrew mates at Tengah about their Graduate Entry mates on the squadrons.
MPN11 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.