Wikiposts
Search
Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Typhoon T1/T3

Search this Thread

Old 24th Jun 2020, 16:25

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Typhoon T1/T3

I spent a very enjoyable day on the fences at RAF Coningsby yesterday, watching Her Majesty's finest perform. Thanks to all for that!

Having seen a couple of T birds amongst the jets I thought I'd pose this question to those in the know in the PPrunosphere.

The RAF decided to get rid of most of the 2-seater jets a few years ago. Did they ever consider using them as either:
1: Laser designator carriers;
2: Wild weasel aircraft.

That would seem to be a rather large waste to just part-out these aircraft. Especially so when you wonder what happened to all the AN/ALQ 101 pods, Boz
Phimat and Skyshadow pods when the Buccaneer, Jaguar, Harrier and Tornado fleets closed down.

I'm just an aging spotter, with next to no technical knowledge, so be gentle. However, looking ay my old income tax returns, I think I owned at least one T-bird, if not two.
Over to the experts!
Thanks
B
Old 24th Jun 2020, 17:07

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might get more results in "Military Aviation" perhaps?
Old 25th Jun 2020, 08:16

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about that, and decided to try here first!

Mods: what is your view? Fell free to move if appropriate.
Old 25th Jun 2020, 12:02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suspect not enough frames to justify a niche role for them like wild weasels. Reducing your ‘costs’ by minimising ongoing servicing and the bonus of gaining a load of ‘part used’ spares would also have been an attractive option given continual cost saving focus. Plus if you say you need a back-seater to operate the kit, undermines your argument that single seat is the way ahead (FGR variant and F35).
Old 25th Jun 2020, 16:12

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Less requirement for them with the fidelity of modern Sims. After all, there are no 2 seat F35s.....
Old 25th Jun 2020, 19:15

Received 146 Likes on 28 Posts
Without the T-birds you can’t give pax trips to those you want to impress - politicians, Blue Peter presenters etc.

I was fortunate enough to get one myself, most enjoyable and worth all the income tax I’ve paid over the years!
Old 26th Jun 2020, 15:36

Coningsby had three T3's operating on Tuesday. Although one had only a single occupant both times it flew.
Thanks all, curiosity satisfied!