Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

ECR Typhoon

Old 7th Nov 2019, 07:12
  #1 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,361
ECR Typhoon

https://www.janes.com/article/92377/...an-requirement

Airbus proposes ECR/SEAD Eurofighter, emphasises German requirement

Airbus Defence and Space (DS) has showcased a new electronic attack and counter-ground-based air defence variant of the Eurofighter combat aircraft as it looks to secure Germany's Tornado replacement requirement.

Speaking at the company's Manching facility in southern Germany on 5 November, Kurt Rossner, head of Air Combat, provided the first insight into Airbus DS plans for an Electronic Combat Reconnaissance (ECR)/Suppression of Enemy Air Defences (SEAD) version of the Eurofighter to replace the Luftwaffe's Tornado ECR aircraft. This Tornado ECR replacement covers 40 aircraft as part of the wider Tornado IDR/ECR replacement programme for 85 aircraft.

As noted by Rossner, the ECR/SEAD configuration is a collaborative German industrial effort and forms part of the key technology roadmap for the aircraft. An ECR/SEAD Eurofighter offers the possibility of combining the escort and stand-in jammer platforms of any strike package, with an initial capability to be gained through podded systems before a more integrated solution is developed.

The ECR/SEAD configuration shown by Airbus comprises a pair of escort jammer pods on the underwing stations currently typically used to carry drop tanks, while three 1,000 litre tanks would be carried on the centreline and two inboard underwing pylons. These three stations are currently 'dry', and would need to be plumbed to carry fuel tanks. The aircraft is also shown carrying the SPEAR-EW weapon recently showcased by MBDA as a future SEAD weapons system, wingtip emitter locator stations, and both short- and long-range air-to-air missiles.

As noted by Rossner, the ECR/SEAD Eurofighter would "almost certainly" be a twin-seat aircraft with the rear cockpit devoted to operating the complex mission systems.

The ECR/SEAD configuration is part of a wider long-term capability development plan for the Typhoon combat aircraft that will span the coming decades. Announced at the Paris Airshow in June, this project that has been agreed with the NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency (NETMA) on behalf of the partner countries, is called the Long-Term Evolution (LTE) plan.


ORAC is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 12:38
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 220
Drone work

Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
https://www.janes.com/article/92377/...an-requirement

Airbus proposes ECR/SEAD Eurofighter, emphasises German requirement

Airbus Defence and Space (DS) has showcased a new electronic attack and counter-ground-based air defence variant of the Eurofighter combat aircraft as it looks to secure Germany's Tornado replacement requirement.

Speaking at the company's Manching facility in southern Germany on 5 November, Kurt Rossner, head of Air Combat, provided the first insight into Airbus DS plans for an Electronic Combat Reconnaissance (ECR)/Suppression of Enemy Air Defences (SEAD) version of the Eurofighter to replace the Luftwaffe's Tornado ECR aircraft. This Tornado ECR replacement covers 40 aircraft as part of the wider Tornado IDR/ECR replacement programme for 85 aircraft.

As noted by Rossner, the ECR/SEAD configuration is a collaborative German industrial effort and forms part of the key technology roadmap for the aircraft. An ECR/SEAD Eurofighter offers the possibility of combining the escort and stand-in jammer platforms of any strike package, with an initial capability to be gained through podded systems before a more integrated solution is developed.

The ECR/SEAD configuration shown by Airbus comprises a pair of escort jammer pods on the underwing stations currently typically used to carry drop tanks, while three 1,000 litre tanks would be carried on the centreline and two inboard underwing pylons. These three stations are currently 'dry', and would need to be plumbed to carry fuel tanks. The aircraft is also shown carrying the SPEAR-EW weapon recently showcased by MBDA as a future SEAD weapons system, wingtip emitter locator stations, and both short- and long-range air-to-air missiles.

As noted by Rossner, the ECR/SEAD Eurofighter would "almost certainly" be a twin-seat aircraft with the rear cockpit devoted to operating the complex mission systems.

The ECR/SEAD configuration is part of a wider long-term capability development plan for the Typhoon combat aircraft that will span the coming decades. Announced at the Paris Airshow in June, this project that has been agreed with the NATO Eurofighter and Tornado Management Agency (NETMA) on behalf of the partner countries, is called the Long-Term Evolution (LTE) plan.

Ludicrous waste of a fighter interceptor.
Minnie Burner is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 13:05
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 438
Ludicrous waste of a fighter interceptor.
On the contrary, if, as the story says, this ECR/SEAD platform would "almost certainly be a twin-seater, it seems like a good way to utilise the current training fleets as that role is increasingly being taken on in the simulator.
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 13:11
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Perth
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man View Post
On the contrary, if, as the story says, this ECR/SEAD platform would "almost certainly be a twin-seater, it seems like a good way to utilise the current training fleets as that role is increasingly being taken on in the simulator.
Aren't these going to be new aircraft? Rumours of 90 or 36 aircraft for Germany have been floating around Samlesbury for a while.
Speedywheels is online now  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 16:23
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 529
Originally Posted by Minnie Burner View Post
Ludicrous waste of a fighter interceptor.
You won’t like it trucking bombs around Syria and Iraq then!
Timelord is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 18:15
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 323
Would they be able to use the conformal fuel tanks, instead, or perhaps in addition to the external jugs?
57mm is offline  
Old 7th Nov 2019, 22:09
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 220
Trucking bombs? Yes. Also ludicrous.
More drone work.
Minnie Burner is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 08:16
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,136
Yes indeed. Should be doing practice intercepts over the North Sea, not actually doing a job. After all, when they get the once in a generation chance to splash another aircraft they need to be ready.

Editted to add: Just remembered...the USN got the once in a generation air to air kill so prob best that the Typhoon keeps going with other stuff.

orca is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 10:47
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by orca View Post
Yes indeed. Should be doing practice intercepts over the North Sea, not actually doing a job. After all, when they get the once in a generation chance to splash another aircraft they need to be ready.

Editted to add: Just remembered...the USN got the once in a generation air to air kill so prob best that the Typhoon keeps going with other stuff.

Still wouldn't use my Ferrari to take rubbish to the council tip.
Minnie Burner is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 13:12
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 566
Originally Posted by Minnie Burner View Post
Ludicrous waste of a fighter interceptor.
not really if one needs something to stay with the Mudmovers.
Doctor Cruces is offline  
Old 8th Nov 2019, 15:48
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Bar.
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by Minnie Burner View Post
Still wouldn't use my Ferrari to take rubbish to the council tip.
You are a hopeless troll. Imagine being rubbish at being a troll, that has got to be demoralising.

Mr Vice
Mr. Vice is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.