Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Shadow Defence Secretary

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Shadow Defence Secretary

Old 14th Jan 2019, 13:56
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Lechlade, Glos.UK
Posts: 654
Shadow Defence Secretary

Watching the defence debate in the House today and thought I would look up the profile of the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nia_Griffith Can anyone a reassure me that she is perfect for the post. Otherwise I think I am losing the will to live. God help our armed forces if Labour win the next election.
sharpend is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 14:33
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: neither here nor there
Posts: 133
I’ve watched a lot of European cinema too but probably not the same kind.......
Lionel Lion is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 14:43
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 1,143
To be honest, no real difference to many other previous Defence/Shadow Defence Secreatries that had no real prior Defence expertise or interest. (George Robertson springs to mind
Davef68 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 14:46
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 276
What's the problem? She seems as bad as all the others.... I haven;t googled the list but name ONE decent UK Defence Secretary in the last 20+ years? Recently they've changed them every 6 months.......

Probably Healey was the last "Big" beast in the job altho friends of mine in Whitehall reckon that Portillo wasn't bad

it's not important in Cabinet, the incumbent is trapped between the Daily Mail & the Telegraph and the Treasury and any decent news is stolen by #10
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 14:48
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: DORSET
Age: 62
Posts: 625
She can spell as she was teacher
She can speak lots of Languages
She was rapped over her MP expenses (twice)

Divorced and now a lesbian
rog747 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 15:42
  #6 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,536
Originally Posted by sharpend View Post
Watching the defence debate in the House today and thought I would look up the profile of the Shadow Secretary of State for Defence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nia_Griffith Can anyone a reassure me that she is perfect for the post. Otherwise I think I am losing the will to live. God help our armed forces if Labour win the next election.
She has a bombing range next door.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 15:43
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Threshold 06
Posts: 359
Originally Posted by rog747 View Post
She can spell as she was teacher
She can speak lots of Languages
She was rapped over her MP expenses (twice)

Divorced and now a lesbian
oh.....

deep deep joy!


oldmansquipper is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 15:50
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Northern Territory Australia
Posts: 75
Why just tae shadow defence secretary?

From what I read, i'm not sure there are any decent MPs in the UK. Their referendum in 2016 was clear enough - Leave the EU.
The way the MPs are acting I wonder if anyone would bother to vote again.
Gove N.T. is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 16:10
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 193
She'll know all about LGBs, then, but not the exploding kind.....
57mm is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 17:16
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,661
Who is or is not Defence Secretary in the event of a Labour government is surely completely irrelevant. We will have a Prime Minister who has stated that while he is in favour of keeping the Trident boats, he would not authorise the use of nuclear weapons, thus making their whole raison d'etre completely pointless and at at one stroke removing the UK from the "top table". Some may argue that would be a good thing, and that we no longer need to be a nuclear power, but if that is going to be the case let's scrap the subs and save the country umpty ump billions, not keep them on to appease the unions in the defence industries, which seems to be Corbyn's plan.
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 18:14
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Darling - where are we?
Posts: 2,468
Well look on the bright side, Corbyn at least has one person doing the job. Unlike the Scottish idiot who thought it might be a useful secondary duty for the Scottish Secretary to pick up. Doesn’t change the fact that when I look at the photo on a Wiki, I think of my grandmother rather than one of the potentially most powerful females in the country, and have an overwhelming urge to sit her down in front of an afternoon show on the Drama channel and bring her a cup of tea rather than asking her to authorise military ops.

Of course, things could all change and by the end of the month Corbyn might be PM and she might be retitled Secretary of State for Peace and we can all go off to be re-trained in how to listen and understand terrorists.
Melchett01 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 18:30
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 15,548
I would sack her photographer, that photo makes her look like one of the muppets, she is probably charming, but that picture does her no justice. One of her main political interests is tackling climate change, that does not exactly sit well with having ones finger on the button.


NutLoose is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2019, 21:11
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Bar to Bar
Posts: 690
Who.......?

Last edited by Sloppy Link; 14th Jan 2019 at 21:14. Reason: Dunno
Sloppy Link is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 07:01
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by Melchett01 View Post
Well look on the bright side, Corbyn at least has one person doing the job. Unlike the Scottish idiot who thought it might be a useful secondary duty for the Scottish Secretary to pick up. Doesn’t change the fact that when I look at the photo on a Wiki, I think of my grandmother rather than one of the potentially most powerful females in the country, and have an overwhelming urge to sit her down in front of an afternoon show on the Drama channel and bring her a cup of tea rather than asking her to authorise military ops.

Of course, things could all change and by the end of the month Corbyn might be PM and she might be retitled Secretary of State for Peace and we can all go off to be re-trained in how to listen and understand terrorists.

Well of course history shows we almost always finish up talking and negotiating with terrorists on a political level so that's a good plan
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 08:12
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,878
+1 to TTNs post. Having a clueless defence secretary would be the least of our problems.
ShotOne is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 08:38
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,935
For all of the individuals lack of qualifications, I don't really think that being a lesbian should be pointed out as a reason why the individual can't do the job.

That is unless you live under a rock.
VinRouge is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 08:40
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 15,548
Originally Posted by VinRouge View Post
For all of the individuals lack of qualifications, I don't really think that being a lesbian should be pointed out as a reason why the individual can't do the job.

That is unless you live under a rock.
What has the regiment to do with this?
NutLoose is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 08:49
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Simply Towers.
Posts: 1
We need Diane Abbott as Defence Secretary that way we could have eleventy hundred squadrons of f35s for £26.
Simplythebeast is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:13
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,661
Excellent!
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2019, 10:20
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The back of beyond
Posts: 1,580
From what I read, i'm not sure there are any decent MPs in the UK. Their referendum in 2016 was clear enough - Leave the EU.
The way the MPs are acting I wonder if anyone would bother to vote again
Thank you for that insight from the Northern Territory.
melmothtw is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.