Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Air Cadets grounded?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Air Cadets grounded?

Old 2nd Feb 2018, 18:02
  #4181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 11 GROUP
Age: 72
Posts: 928
recovered airframes

It is 'rumoured' that SS have actually sorted around 20 airframes, but most of these have not 'filtered' back to a VGS (Gliding) unit.
I suspect that there is a shortage of both current and experienced staff to actually run several Viking operations other than at Syerston itself.
Many of the original staff will have 'aged out' and of course there has been little or no chance for serious training for any 'new influx'.
Much has been made of the use of the PTT, but of course no one is fooled to think that this is a serious replacement for actual flying.
Syerston seems to be growing into a mega centre with plenty of higher ranks and fancy titles, but the simple fact is THE PLOT HAS BEEN LOST,THE HORSE HAS BOLTED, and no one has a clue as to what to do to remedy this appalling situation. Without any credible leadership at the top and indeed any direction from anyone who has any idea of what they have thrown away the future must be slightly worrying for those left trying to hold the Cadet Squadrons together. The whole ATC 'Flying' theme is going to be a distant memory as the 'electronic' experience will become the future and replace the 'hands on' operation as we knew it.
POBJOY is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 19:38
  #4182 (permalink)  
Olympia 463
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
As I think I have said several times on here, the whole point of the ATC was to give some young men that tremendous lift to their personal confidence the day they flew alone in an aeroplane. There is NOTHING that can replace that. AEF is all very well, but hands on flying beats it every time.

I think it is high time that 'rumours' of whatever kind are replaced with honest statements about whether there is actually going to be any glider flying.
 
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 19:46
  #4183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Just over the road from Bicester airfield
Age: 76
Posts: 363
Shouldn't this post now read: Air Cadets STILL Grounded ?.
zetec2 is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 20:50
  #4184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 11 GROUP
Age: 72
Posts: 928
Airframes recovered

24+ airframes out of SS to date. Although SS are the only 'approved' company doing the actual work they have to 'work' under the auspices of the 'larger' fish in the system which does not speed things up.
So the airframes are out there, but not much in evidence yet.
Lots of 'containers' appearing at 626.
POBJOY is offline  
Old 2nd Feb 2018, 23:34
  #4185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: River Thames & Surrey
Age: 71
Posts: 8,390
Originally Posted by Olympia 463 View Post
As I think I have said several times on here, the whole point of the ATC was to give some young men that tremendous lift to their personal confidence the day they flew alone in an aeroplane. There is NOTHING that can replace that. AEF is all very well, but hands on flying beats it every time.
Totally agree.(But don't forget the girls too)
chevvron is online now  
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 08:44
  #4186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: north of barlu
Posts: 6,179
Olympia 463

Originally Posted by Olympia 463 View Post
As I think I have said several times on here, the whole point of the ATC was to give some young men that tremendous lift to their personal confidence the day they flew alone in an aeroplane. There is NOTHING that can replace that. AEF is all very well, but hands on flying beats it every time.

I think it is high time that 'rumours' of whatever kind are replaced with honest statements about whether there is actually going to be any glider flying.
Olympia it would seem to me that you are showing your age a bit with your young men comments, the ATC has been open to female cadets for as long as I can remember.

Take my advice and refer to the cadets as young people that way you can stay on the right side of the PC brigade and not offend males ,females and those who are not sure.
A and C is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 08:51
  #4187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cheshire, California, Geneva, and Paris
Age: 63
Posts: 823
"Higher ranks with fancy titles"
Retired RAF officers with military pensions and who are friends of the group captain?
Its only taxpayers money after all.
DC10RealMan is offline  
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 09:59
  #4188 (permalink)  
Olympia 463
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Sorry if I excluded the girls senior moment. I trained many girls to fly in civilian gliding clubs and was the 'go to' instructor for girls in one club.
 
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 13:53
  #4189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: River Thames & Surrey
Age: 71
Posts: 8,390
Originally Posted by A and C View Post
Olympia it would seem to me that you are showing your age a bit with your “ young men “ comments, the ATC has been open to female cadets for as long as I can remember.

Take my advice and refer to the cadets as young people that way you can stay on the right side of the PC brigade and not offend males ,females and those who are not sure.
I was authorised to recruit female cadets wef 1 Jan 85 (1811 Marlow Sqdn); other squadrons were a few years earlier. The criteria was the squadron HQ must have at least 2 toilets, one of which must be females only.
This meant those squadrons with 'new build' standard huts were the first to take on girls as they already had 2 toilets whereas my building being an old TA Centre had only the one toilet, so they converted a small storeroom next to it to a second toilet complete with an incinerator!
chevvron is online now  
Old 3rd Feb 2018, 16:30
  #4190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by POBJOY View Post
It is 'rumoured' that SS have actually sorted around 20 airframes, but most of these have not 'filtered' back to a VGS (Gliding) unit.
I suspect that there is a shortage of both current and experienced staff to actually run several Viking operations other than at Syerston itself.
Many of the original staff will have 'aged out' and of course there has been little or no chance for serious training for any 'new influx'.
Much has been made of the use of the PTT, but of course no one is fooled to think that this is a serious replacement for actual flying.
Syerston seems to be growing into a mega centre with plenty of higher ranks and fancy titles, but the simple fact is THE PLOT HAS BEEN LOST,THE HORSE HAS BOLTED, and no one has a clue as to what to do to remedy this appalling situation. Without any credible leadership at the top and indeed any direction from anyone who has any idea of what they have thrown away the future must be slightly worrying for those left trying to hold the Cadet Squadrons together. The whole ATC 'Flying' theme is going to be a distant memory as the 'electronic' experience will become the future and replace the 'hands on' operation as we knew it.
Over half are out in the "field" with more bunching to go to the next stand up site and a handful in acceptance checks. They aren't all sat at syerston doing nothing.

As for aging out not all the VGS were in the crusty zone at the start of the pause and even at the end have an average age in the late 20's not mid 60's

Last edited by Tingger; 3rd Feb 2018 at 18:33.
Tingger is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 09:17
  #4191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,008
Tinger

You seem to have your finger on the pulse. Which site(s) are stood up at the moment ?, which sites are next, how many aircraft and winches at each site, how many staff and can you give a picture of how things are going 'on the ground' ?

I'm genuinely interested.


Thanks

Arc
Arclite01 is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 11:13
  #4192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by Arclite01 View Post
Tinger

You seem to have your finger on the pulse. Which site(s) are stood up at the moment ?, which sites are next, how many aircraft and winches at each site, how many staff and can you give a picture of how things are going 'on the ground' ?

I'm genuinely interested.


Thanks

Arc
622 @ Upavon
637 @ Little Riss (621 embedded
644 @ Syerston
645 @ Topcliffe (631 embedded)

Are all cleared to fly cadets

632 are flying at Ternhill with CGS doing RTF, all of which is freely publicised on their Facebook pages. 3 ac assigned to the sites, varies with maintenance obviously.

No idea how many instructors at each site but enough to be operating autonomously
Tingger is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 13:53
  #4193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,008
Tinnger (spelt correctly this time)

That is encouraging news.

Thanks for the update.

Regards

Arc
Arclite01 is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 16:32
  #4194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hants
Age: 75
Posts: 359
Arclite

Try two G's and one N

ACW
ACW418 is offline  
Old 5th Feb 2018, 16:36
  #4195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,008
Doh !!

I was trying to be nice - honest Guv !!

Arc
Arclite01 is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 11:37
  #4196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere in England
Posts: 173
Only another 7858 hits and this thread reaches 1 million !
EnigmAviation is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 11:42
  #4197 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 55
Posts: 6,015
Well, I'll add to the total by saying it would be very nice to see 615 active again at Kenley before the swifts arrive this year. Please...
treadigraph is online now  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 12:21
  #4198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Head in the Clouds
Posts: 72
615? Not before JM builds his fence to keep the dog walkers out!
Freda Checks is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 13:05
  #4199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 11 GROUP
Age: 72
Posts: 928
The Kenley 'Fence'

Rather a conflict of interest's here as the City of London 'commons' own the land and want the public to have greater scope to explore this historic site.

No doubt even now someone will be 'reading' the lease to see who has the right to do what.
Because the public can now access the location from many different places the fencing would have to be 'comprehensive' and quite costly.
In fact they have already spent thousands on a previous fence which proved to be unsuitable.
In practice once ATC gliding starts again the public will get used to the situation and it should not be a reason to curtail activities.
The 'listed' blast bays are well away from the operational area and the old camp area under private ownership. Me thinks it is the responsibility of the City of London to 'secure' their area of interest without reducing the operational part of the airfield. Be interesting to see how 2FTS play this one as they are now the 'authority' for the MOD interest's at the location.
There are few safety case's for a fence as it could be said they are a hazard to aviation when close to an operational area, and the aviation interest should be paramount whilst the MOD keep the lease active.
POBJOY is offline  
Old 6th Feb 2018, 13:58
  #4200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 1,008
They should fence it in accordance with the old AM blocks which are still to be found in the undergrowth in my view :-)

Seriously though, there does need to be some sort of barrier because sooner or later someone will be hurt either because of operations or because of their own stupidity.................. either way it will put the tin hat on operations at Kenley and will have wider ramifications.

So lets get the fence built - I expect JM is currently saying 'We will build a fence - and the City of London will pay for it.....................' (one for all you Trumpsters out there)

Arc
Arclite01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.