Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Getting Civvy Instructor Quals?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Getting Civvy Instructor Quals?

Old 21st Sep 2007, 14:41
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 150
Getting Civvy Instructor Quals?

Has anyone got any information on getting civilian instructor qualifications. My local flying club is in need of part time instructors.
I am a CFS QFI (Single Piston) and a ME FI.
I have an ATPL (Multi Crew only). My PPL has lapsed for more than 5 years but I understand that as I have flown single eng piston within the last five years and have an ATPL I would just need a check ride to fly SEPs again. I was wondering if anyone knows what is required in order to get an Instructor Rating.
bayete is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2007, 15:37
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South England
Posts: 106
I take it since you have an ATPL etc, then you are no longer in the service.
If so then I believe it could be a more difficult process to get your instructor rating back.
For other people who are still in the service before you leave for the airlines it is worth converting your CFS QFI rating to a civi one, since after you have left, if you want to convert it is more tricky.
Sorry cannot remember the exact rules.
Lasors07 has all the answers!
abbotyobs is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2007, 16:12
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wiltshire
Age: 53
Posts: 597
If you are a CFS A2 then it is gratis (less the 108 CAA fee) on single engin, solo pilot craft that you are qualed on.

Well on rotory any way
Gnd is offline  
Old 21st Sep 2007, 16:52
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 25,379
1. To obtain a SEP Class Rating, you will merely need to take the Renewal LST with a PPL Examiner, then send the application off to the CAA to have SEP Class Rating privileges added to your ATPL.

2. If you have a current service aeroplane IR, get an IMC Rating added to your ATPL as well. See http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20E.pdf page 13. Your ATPL multi-pilot IR does not give you any instrument privileges on single pilot aircraft any more.

3. For QFI-to-FI accreditation, see http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20H%20.pdf section H1.8 on page 8. If you're an A2 or A1, then the 'no aerobatics' and 'no applied IF' restrictions will not apply.

If you need somewhere to do the appropriate training, http://www.ontrackaviation.com/ at Wellesbourne Mountford (near Stratford-Uponavon) are highly recommended. Mostly ex-CFS and very familiar with mates in your situation.
BEagle is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.