Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

CANADA - UAE Tax Treaty

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

CANADA - UAE Tax Treaty

Old 30th Jun 2008, 06:55
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: North
Posts: 200
CANADA - UAE Tax Treaty

What are the tax implications for a Canadian pilot in the UAE.
747fanatic is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2008, 10:50
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Age: 44
Posts: 125
Yeah - that's right - but that means: You must sell Your property in Canada rightaway, and make sure, that you have no spouse, children whatever left over there - otherwise it can get REALLY nasty;
we have a colleague from america, who was taken into custody rightaway after arrivin' in JFK - for allegedly tax-fraud - he obviously didn't pay his dues on US-world-wide income & his ex-missus turned him in - he is now facing a massive 6-digit-tax-evadsion-bill & some court hearing for that - bad luck
note: never mess with the INS !! You've been warned, there's zero tolerance!
Cyberbird is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2008, 14:51
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: third rock from the sun
Posts: 153
Well are we talking Canada or USA? those are two different things.
Tintin is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2008, 15:40
  #4 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South of North
Posts: 656
The first issue is that Canada does not have a 'defined' method for deeming someone resident or non-resident. It depends on a series of variable factors and each case is looked at individually.

CCRA will look at all of your ties to Canada. For instance, if you own a home and it is empty or rented to a family memeber than you will most certainly be deemed a resident. If the home/property (or properties) are rented arms-length (ie. not family) then they are considered investments. You pay tax on any profit and that is it.

If you keep your health card then that would also deem you a resident. So the trick is to rid yourself as of as much as you need to in terms of ties to Canada. If you plan to rent property then it would be OK to keep a bank account (for example) to have the rental cheques deposited to. Otherwise close the bank account.

After we left we continues to get the family allowance cheques (all $8). We sent them bacj to CCRA with an expanation that we had left the counrty and they nicely sent us a letter saying we were considered non-resident and would not be recieving future cheques - VOILA - in writing, from the CCRA that we are non-residents
Trader is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2008, 05:14
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: not here
Posts: 3
Wrong Info

Cyberguy is out to lunch, you don't have to sell you property in Canada. If you rent it out you have to declare the rental income however if you have a mortgage it becomes a tax deduction and the two cancel each other out therefore no tax paid. Call John Mott Accounting in YYZ to sort it out and answer any questions. He specializes in Non Resident tax applicants.

go fetch is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2008, 17:53
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the way to the fridge
Posts: 88
Living over here now 5 years and only traveling back to Canada maybe once a year, after 2 years away on entering Canada I show my resident visa and I tell customs I live in the UAE. They tell me I'll a non-resident and no forms to fill out.
Eng AW139 is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 12:55
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 20
Non -Resident Status

This question is for anyone who has gone this route. Would it be advisable to have an International Tax Lawyer formilarize your Non-Resident Tax Status rather than an Accountant? Significant cost difference!
Scenario, wife and son won't be coming over for about a year. Schooling involved. Finishing High School.


Last edited by JETZ Tech; 3rd Jul 2008 at 12:58. Reason: Spelling
JETZ Tech is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 17:37
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South of North
Posts: 656
Hmmmm......I don't know about the lawyer vs accountant. But, in your case, if the family is still in Canada then you are still a resident and your first years income will be taxable.

If the lawyer can guarantee you that he can, somehow, get you out of the tax requirement then he is well worth it.!!!!!!
Trader is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2008, 19:30
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in a van, down by the river
Posts: 284
If you are outside of the country for over 6 months (182 days I believe is the exact figure) the your world wide income is still taxable but at a reduced rate, 25% i believe.

Once you declare yourself a non-resident, then no tax issues.

I consulted an accountant to handle my case, went smoothly, never questioned about it since.

As for investments, i.e. RRSP's etc, there is a 25% tax treaty in pace with the UAE. You have 2 choices; cash them in when you retire, or cash them in when you are living in the UAE and pay 25%. One note is that if you do decide to keep them while abroad, you cannot contribute to them at all.
JoeCo is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2008, 08:20
  #10 (permalink)  
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Middle East
Posts: 6
Non-Resident status

Please look at the following document from Revenue Canada:

T4056 - Emigrants and Income Tax - 2007

I would suggest not trying to get a non-resident status through a lawyer. I tried this way and was denied....This is a very unpleasant uphill battle with Revenue Canada (also expensive).

Just follow the guidelines and you will have no problem. I have become non-resident from Canada twice. The first time was very difficult, for the reasons given above. The second time was a piece of cake.

I hope this help.
Layover is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2008, 12:35
  #11 (permalink)  
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 20
Tax Lawyer versus Accountant

May I PM you as I am in a similar situation as yourself in regard to Non Resident status. Nixed the Lawyer and contact John Mott for meeting.

JETZ Tech is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2008, 11:51
  #12 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Canada
Posts: 17
Canada Tax

Hi Guys!

Is there any Canadian citizen out there who's permanent residence is still Canada but is working for Etihad or any middle eastern airline? Are you declaring your world income and paying taxes in Canada? Does Etihad give out a Tax certificate or not?

As of now I'm working for an airline in a country with tax treaty with Canada and there are no issues whenever I file my world Income tax return with CCRA.

I'll surely appreciate if anyone can enlighten me on this matter. Happy landings!

Constellation is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2008, 16:20
  #13 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Earth
Posts: 22
Smile Canadian Tax John Mott

Would love to know how you got on with John Mott? I am going to try and contact him when he returns from his vacation next month. Do you reckon he was worth it? Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited by sandbunny; 10th Aug 2008 at 16:23. Reason: Typo
sandbunny is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.