PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

SWBKCB 20th Aug 2019 14:48


Let's let the EU figure a solution out then.
They'll just implement full border controls, so not "frictionless"?

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 14:53


Originally Posted by SWBKCB (Post 10549894)
They'll just implement full border controls, so not "frictionless"?

Nor in keeping with the GFA I'd imagine...

wiggy 20th Aug 2019 15:08

Ok, so the cunning being suggested here appears to be for the UK not to take back control of the UK/NI Border at all....and to "crack on as normal"..."normal" of course being that state of affairs which exists currently with the UK in the EU..:confused:

So do you folks want to take back control or not?

Fly Aiprt 20th Aug 2019 15:10


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549888)
Let's let the EU figure a solution out then.

Isn't that admitting that you rely on the very EU the UK pretends to leave to find solutions for your domestic problems ?



Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549888)
In the meantime we just crack on as normal.

Hmm, seems somehow yet another delay appears on the horizon... Just to be able to crack on as normal a little longer...


Sallyann1234 20th Aug 2019 15:21


Originally Posted by SWBKCB (Post 10549885)
Spot on - even without bringing the Irish border in to it, nobody has ever really squared the circle of how we have free trade agreements with the rest of the world and "frictionless" trade with the EU.

No doubt after Boris has told the EU what they must do to secure a suitable exit deal, he will tell them how the trade deal is going to be. He did promise "the easiest trade deal in history" after all.

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 15:23


Originally Posted by wiggy (Post 10549904)
Ok, so the cunning being suggested here appears to be for the UK not to take back control of the UK/NI Border at all....and to "crack on as normal"..."normal" of course being that state of affairs which exists currently with the UK in the EU..:confused:

So do you folks want to take back control or not?

Take back control of what? Some Irish backwater? There's really no need for the UK to be imposing stringent (or indeed any) border controls between Eire and NI.

I can see why the EU would want to, in order to protect the crown jewels that is their FTA. The commonsense answer is simply to have a FTA in place with the UK from day one, but then that opens the floodgates to anybody else that wants to leave the EU, hence why they're so reluctant to be pragmatic on this issue.

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 15:25


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10549916)
No doubt after Boris has told the EU what they must do to secure a suitable exit deal, he will tell them how the trade deal is going to be. He did promise "the easiest trade deal in history" after all.

No reason for it to be difficult, unless the EU wish to make it so, of course...

Fly Aiprt 20th Aug 2019 15:43


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549917)
The commonsense answer is simply to have a FTA in place with the UK from day one,

Are we not having an FTA with the UK at this very moment, according to the Single Market ?
And precisely this is this agreement that 'holds the UK in shackles', so gravely that it is urgent to leave it, 'no if's, no but's'.

If you're happy with a free trade agreement with the EU, why reject it ? If you're not, why come back ?

Sallyann1234 20th Aug 2019 15:47


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549918)
No reason for it to be difficult, unless the EU wish to make it so, of course...

Ah yes, the "it's all the EU's fault" argument.

We'll be hearing that a lot over the coming months.

Fly Aiprt 20th Aug 2019 15:49


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549918)
No reason for it to be difficult, unless the EU wish to make it so, of course...

'Unless the EU'
'The EU should'
'The EU must'...

Forget about Mother EU, you're leaving, remember ?

As you say, no reason for things to be difficult : the UK leaves, commerce and industry boom, the soars, and everyone is happy ever after ;-)


Krystal n chips 20th Aug 2019 15:54


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10549916)
No doubt after Boris has told the EU what they must do to secure a suitable exit deal, he will tell them how the trade deal is going to be. He did promise "the easiest trade deal in history" after all.

Small point of order perlease.....you are doubtless 66% correct with the first two statements, albeit you omitted "copyright D.Trump " as to the content.

Sadly, t'was not Boris who uttered those memorable words...easy mistake to make though with the same smug self adoring smirk on the fizzog.........it was a close relation of Mr Grayling when it comes to incompetence ( see "negotiations" ...... ..EUphemism ) ...enter then, ......................

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-406...-human-history

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 16:00


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10549938)
If you're happy with a free trade agreement with the EU, why reject it ? If you're not, why come back ?

I doubt most who voted Leave did so because of the FTA, it was more FMoP, ECJ, ECHR, federalist agenda, etc, etc.

I'd expect most would be quite happy if the existing FTA with the EU continues, post Brexit. However, if the EU choose not to be pragmatic on this they need to be aware of the consequences, especially for Eire.

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 16:06


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10549942)
Ah yes, the "it's all the EU's fault" argument.

We'll be hearing that a lot over the coming months.

All depends on whether they want to play ball or not!

They've had 3 years to get their thinking caps on, no excuse for not being prepared for a variety of scenarios. The WA take it or leave it stance wont wash anymore.

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 16:14


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10549944)
'Unless the EU'
'The EU should'
'The EU must'...

Forget about Mother EU, you're leaving, remember ?

As you say, no reason for things to be difficult : the UK leaves, commerce and industry boom, the soars, and everyone is happy ever after ;-)

This wasnt about me or anybody else demanding a free trade deal, or anything else from the EU. No deal is fine by me.

The issue is the Irish border that the EU has created an issue out of, in order to score political points. They created this issue, it's now up to them to resolve it.

Fly Aiprt 20th Aug 2019 16:17


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549951)
I if the existing FTA with the EU continues, post Brexit.

Viewed from a foreigner, this might appear a bit contradictory.
Isn't Brexit all about leaving the EU ?


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549951)
However, if the EU choose not to be pragmatic on this they need to be aware of the consequences, especially for Eire.

Ah, the 'if the EU' once again^^!
Just a naive question :
Wasn't it the onus of the Brexit party, to 'be pragmatic and be aware of the consequences' before proposing to leave ?
Had they done so, maybe they wouldn't be praying for the EU to sort out the fix your country is now in.

I can tell you that the first thing that came to mind in Europe during the Leave campaign was 'what are they gonna do with Northern Ireland ?'.
Too bad this didn't occur to your leaders and voters before...




Sallyann1234 20th Aug 2019 16:25


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549956)
All depends on whether they want to play ball or not!

It's the EU's ball, and in future they will decide who can play with it. It was the UK that decided to leave the team.


They've had 3 years to get their thinking caps on, no excuse for not being prepared for a variety of scenarios. The WA take it or leave it stance wont wash anymore.
:E:E:E Which side has been prevaricating for three years and still hasn't come to an agreed position amongst themselves? The EU decided their position long ago and are prepared for it. No Yellowhammer for them.

Fly Aiprt 20th Aug 2019 16:28


Originally Posted by andrewn (Post 10549965)

The issue is the Irish border that the EU has created an issue out of, in order to score political points. They created this issue, it's now up to them to resolve it.

The EU created an issue with the Irish border ?
Tell that to the Marines !

Nobody in Europe will object if the border between the EU and the UK is somewhere in the Irish sea, where do you see an issue ?

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 16:37


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10549975)
It's the EU's ball, and in future they will decide who can play with it. It was the UK that decided to leave the team.



:E:E:E Which side has been prevaricating for three years and still hasn't come to an agreed position amongst themselves? The EU decided their position long ago and are prepared for it. No Yellowhammer for them.

I do agree Sally we wasted an ordinate amount of time ourselves by pandering to the EU and effectively surrendering our position before the WA talks even started. But you cant change the past, we now need to move on and ensure the EU understands that WE are prepared to go No Deal if they wont budge on the backstop.

andrewn 20th Aug 2019 16:39


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10549976)
The EU created an issue with the Irish border ?
Tell that to the Marines !

Nobody in Europe will object if the border between the EU and the UK is somewhere in the Irish sea, where do you see an issue ?

High stakes game the EU would be playing, up to them if they want to go down that route...

Sallyann1234 20th Aug 2019 16:41

Is this wasn't so tragic it really would be funny. It's been blatantly obvious for three years that there would never be a satisfactory exit agreement, for the achingly simple reason that what the UK wants from the EU can only be obtained by being in the EU.

Boris and company are not stupid. They have known this too, but chose to deny it all along to keep their flock of sheep following obediently. Now it has come to the crunch and the only excuse they can come up with is to blame the EU. Again, just as predicted.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.