PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Cornish Jack 24th Mar 2022 17:27


Originally Posted by golfbananajam (Post 11205208)
Sorry Ninthace , no matter how often I read this, I can't translate Devonian into English.

Lack of understanding, in matters Brexit, would seem to spread from the top echelons.The Buffoon, obviously, understands little of anything and, in a recent interview, one of his 'gofers' - Frost, kept referring to 'country' rather than 'Nation'. One could have hoped that someone tasked with negotiating on behalf of Great Britain (the NATION), would understand that England (however self-important its citizens may feel), is just one country, part of the Great British Nation !

golfbananajam 24th Mar 2022 17:35


Originally Posted by Cornish Jack (Post 11205232)
Lack of understanding, in matters Brexit, would seem to spread from the top echelons.The Buffoon, obviously, understands little of anything and, in a recent interview, one of his 'gofers' - Frost, kept referring to 'country' rather than 'Nation'. One could have hoped that someone tasked with negotiating on behalf of Great Britain (the NATION), would understand that England (however self-important its citizens may feel), is just one country, part of the Great British Nation !


seems you may suffer the same malaise, the Brexit negotiation was on behalf of the United Kingdom. Great Britain is the official collective name of of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with 'UK' – something you see all too often .

Ninthace 24th Mar 2022 17:42


Originally Posted by golfbananajam (Post 11205208)
Sorry Ninthace , no matter how often I read this, I can't translate Devonian into English.

I edited it, try again

Cornish Jack 24th Mar 2022 18:44


Originally Posted by golfbananajam (Post 11205235)
seems you may suffer the same malaise, the Brexit negotiation was on behalf of the United Kingdom. Great Britain is the official collective name of of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with 'UK' – something you see all too often .

Congratulations !! :ok: ... both tests passed !

SWBKCB 24th Mar 2022 19:11


One could have hoped that someone tasked with negotiating on behalf of Great Britain
Surely the negotiations were on behalf of the United Kingdom - of which Great Britain is a part?

Krystal n chips 3rd Apr 2022 10:00

For those who prefer to openly denigrate Germany, for reasons only they know, and others for whom the EU per se was simply an abomination, probably because the UK wasn't, as the UK fervently wished, in charge of matters, here's a report that kindly demonstrates why all those who were / are so fervent about leaving a bloc which we formerly gained many advantages from being a member of,...can bask in self admiration as to the results of their efforts

Thankfully, as the UK is no longer a member, we can continue our rapid descent into social and economic deprivation unimpeded and with the panache only the UK can demonstrate when it comes to the proverbial "shooting ourselves in the foot "..and every other part of our anatomy

Ukraine war: Europe's new security era, faced with Russian threat - BBC News

Mr Mac 3rd Apr 2022 21:34

KnC
Well put though I think you may have some input from Right 20 Degree on this. As for EU it would appear the Ukrainian issue as well as tightening NATO has had the same results with EU, just a shame that UK is no longer in it, and appears to shout from the outside, though does supply arms and indeed logistical support.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Right20deg 4th Apr 2022 08:32

Best we leave shooting oneself in the foot to germany austria and italy who, as we speak, are rather busy undoing Mutti Merkels legacy with some haste. Not pretty to watch.
While they were busy eee- oooing , before the invasion , the British Canadians and USA special forces and trainers were over in the Ukraine training up their ground forces and supplying them with some of the best f- off kit in the market, with more to come. Way to go chaps. It is because of that important early training and support that they have held up in defence.
Very pleased to see the French sorting out the issue over lack of intel by sacking the individual concerned. Appearances are always important to the french. One does not wish to appear as the objet sexuel at the end of a long table. Oh bless. Yup.....your cookin on gas......

Cornish Jack 4th Apr 2022 09:32

Sigh !! .....
Q. Is written gibberish an unavoidable consequence of warped thought ? The English speaking nations have the advantage of a most glorious vocabulary and exemplary classical uses of such, and yet ... :ugh::{

Ninthace 4th Apr 2022 17:46

I am still waiting for that list of realised Brexit benefits, preferably in the Queen's English rather than gibberish.

Ninthace 4th Apr 2022 17:52


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11210298)
Best we leave shooting oneself in the foot to germany austria and italy who, as we speak, are rather busy undoing Mutti Merkels legacy with some haste. Not pretty to watch.
While they were busy eee- oooing , before the invasion , the British Canadians and USA special forces and trainers were over in the Ukraine training up their ground forces and supplying them with some of the best f- off kit in the market, with more to come. Way to go chaps. It is because of that important early training and support that they have held up in defence.
Very pleased to see the French sorting out the issue over lack of intel by sacking the individual concerned. Appearances are always important to the french. One does not wish to appear as the objet sexuel at the end of a long table. Oh bless. Yup.....your cookin on gas......

Perhaps a little more water in the glass with your tincture until after you have posted? Even BabelFish.com could not make your post any easier to understand.

Right20deg 4th Apr 2022 20:29


Originally Posted by Ninthace (Post 11210518)
Perhaps a little more water in the glass with your tincture until after you have posted? Even BabelFish.com could not make your post any easier to understand.

Many thanks for that ! Hope the following may assist :
From Forces.net "Many of the Ukrainian forces currently engaged in fighting against Russia's invasion will have been trained by the British Military. Under Operation Orbital, the UK provided training to the Ukrainian Armed Forces after the illegal annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014."
From the Times...." Merkels legacy is in ruins"... etc. Austria amd Italy. From the F T : "Russia supplies 80 per cent of Austria’s domestic gas needs and the country is one of Europe’s biggest hubs for Russian gas imports."
From the Independant: "France's military intelligence chief has lost his job just seven months after he was appointed because he failed to predict the war in Ukraine, according to reports. French media outlets said General Eric Vidaud’s departure came after the army had judged his briefings "insufficient", claiming he lacked "mastery".From France 24..." Senior figures from President Emmanuel Macron's government insisted there was no suggestion of a full-scale invasion and Macron kept diplomacy going to the last minute, meeting Putin in person in the Kremlin and trying to set up a summit with US President Joe Biden. The issue is particularly sensitive as Macron has largely avoided campaigning for the presidential election in April to focus on dealing with the war, aiming to burnish his image as a global statesman. "
"Cooking on gas" used to be the British Gas catch phrase back in the day. Now used more often with a nervous First Officer seeking confirmation that the gear is up, the flaps are fully retracted, his meal is in the oven and the lass in the rear galley really likes him. He is "cooking on gas".
Hope this makes it easier for you. It was fun translating. R20d



Torquetalk 4th Apr 2022 21:31


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11210566)
Many thanks for that ! Hope the following may assist :
From Forces.net "Many of the Ukrainian forces currently engaged in fighting against Russia's invasion will have been trained by the British Military. Under Operation Orbital, the UK provided training to the Ukrainian Armed Forces after the illegal annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014."
From the Times...." Merkels legacy is in ruins"... etc. Austria amd Italy. From the F T : "Russia supplies 80 per cent of Austria’s domestic gas needs and the country is one of Europe’s biggest hubs for Russian gas imports."
From the Independant: "France's military intelligence chief has lost his job just seven months after he was appointed because he failed to predict the war in Ukraine, according to reports. French media outlets said General Eric Vidaud’s departure came after the army had judged his briefings "insufficient", claiming he lacked "mastery".From France 24..." Senior figures from President Emmanuel Macron's government insisted there was no suggestion of a full-scale invasion and Macron kept diplomacy going to the last minute, meeting Putin in person in the Kremlin and trying to set up a summit with US President Joe Biden. The issue is particularly sensitive as Macron has largely avoided campaigning for the presidential election in April to focus on dealing with the war, aiming to burnish his image as a global statesman. "
"Cooking on gas" used to be the British Gas catch phrase back in the day. Now used more often with a nervous First Officer seeking confirmation that the gear is up, the flaps are fully retracted, his meal is in the oven and the lass in the rear galley really likes him. He is "cooking on gas".
Hope this makes it easier for you. It was fun translating. R20d

Oh you meant that. Well, everyone knows all of that stuff and in substance there is not that much to crow about if you think this is some collapse of some old order. It will be the same democratic consensus, with a new political kick up the butt because Putin broke the rules good and proper. This will mean more EU, not less in case you were tempted to salivate at the fall of Rome and the rise of Blighty and a libertarian rennaisance.

By-the-way, a read of GrottyYotty's posts might be worth a peep for style. He is so knowlingly OTT that it is funny, even if he uses an excessive style to make points he actually means. Most of all, he doesn't read drunk.

Right20deg 4th Apr 2022 22:47


Originally Posted by Torquetalk (Post 11210590)
Oh you meant that. Well, everyone knows all of that stuff and in substance there is not that much to crow about if you think this is some collapse of some old order. It will be the same democratic consensus, with a new political kick up the butt because Putin broke the rules good and proper. This will mean more EU, not less in case you were tempted to salivate at the fall of Rome and the rise of Blighty and a libertarian rennaisance.

By-the-way, a read of GrottyYotty's posts might be worth a peep for style. He is so knowlingly OTT that it is funny, even if he uses an excessive style to make points he actually means. Most of all, he doesn't read drunk.

I am reassured that you "know all this stuff". But why resort to personal insults about drinking ? It is a very difficult time for all, but you really could deal with the points made and not just get so upset. It is going to get a lot worse over the next few weeks. But you know that , don't you?

Torquetalk 5th Apr 2022 06:35


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11210615)
I am reassured that you "know all this stuff". But why resort to personal insults about drinking ? It is a very difficult time for all, but you really could deal with the points made and not just get so upset. It is going to get a lot worse over the next few weeks. But you know that , don't you?

I did not insult you ; I implied that your posts read drunk, as in ebulliant, but not really coherent.

Nor do I think you have really made any points. You have just reiterated the editorial positions of a right-wing press that is gleeful at the system-shock to European complacency and jingoistically asserting Anglo-American ascendency. The US and the UK have indeed played an important role; but the EU has also learnt a hard lesson in security and not having too much faith in trade solving everything.

Right20deg 5th Apr 2022 07:29


Originally Posted by Torquetalk (Post 11210689)
I did not insult you ; I implied that your posts read drunk, as in ebulliant, but not really coherent.

Nor do I think you have really made any points. You have just reiterated the editorial positions of a right-wing press that is gleeful at the system-shock to European complacency and jingoistically asserting Anglo-American ascendency. The US and the UK have indeed played an important role; but the EU has also learnt a hard lesson in security and not having too much faith in trade solving everything.

Good to see corrections made and a well revised summary. Good work. I did not know "posts read drunk". Is that a term of phrase that one uses ? My garden fence posts never look drunk, but they do lean to the right in a strong wind. Do you ever watch the Oxford Union debates?

Torquetalk 5th Apr 2022 08:08


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11210710)
Good to see corrections made and a well revised summary. Good work. I did not know "posts read drunk". Is that a term of phrase that one uses ? My garden fence posts never look drunk, but they do lean to the right in a strong wind. Do you ever watch the Oxford Union debates?

Rarely. It is a debating format in which is adversarial/dialectic with each party arguing for their position. It therefore does not result in a useful exchange of information or mutual understanding.

Not one of the debates itself, but it was sad to see Steve Banon being invited to speak by the Students’ Union only then to hold a monologue followed by a rout of the students asking questions. He was drilled; the format did not allow for the objections to his view to be effectively challenged, and it was thus just an prestigious propaganda platform for his dangerous ideas. But he “won“

Cornish Jack 5th Apr 2022 08:37

TT - a valiant attempt and to be applauded, but your strictures, rightfully, should have been inculcated by a (demonstrably absent) secondary education. Modern written, and spoken, communications have little to commend them, save for repetitious, unthinking phraseology ... innit ?

Krystal n chips 5th Apr 2022 09:17


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11210566)
Many thanks for that ! Hope the following may assist :
From Forces.net "Many of the Ukrainian forces currently engaged in fighting against Russia's invasion will have been trained by the British Military. Under Operation Orbital, the UK provided training to the Ukrainian Armed Forces after the illegal annexation of Crimea by Russia in 2014."
From the Times...." Merkels legacy is in ruins"... etc. Austria amd Italy. From the F T : "Russia supplies 80 per cent of Austria’s domestic gas needs and the country is one of Europe’s biggest hubs for Russian gas imports."
From the Independant: "France's military intelligence chief has lost his job just seven months after he was appointed because he failed to predict the war in Ukraine, according to reports. French media outlets said General Eric Vidaud’s departure came after the army had judged his briefings "insufficient", claiming he lacked "mastery".From France 24..." Senior figures from President Emmanuel Macron's government insisted there was no suggestion of a full-scale invasion and Macron kept diplomacy going to the last minute, meeting Putin in person in the Kremlin and trying to set up a summit with US President Joe Biden. The issue is particularly sensitive as Macron has largely avoided campaigning for the presidential election in April to focus on dealing with the war, aiming to burnish his image as a global statesman. "
"Cooking on gas" used to be the British Gas catch phrase back in the day. Now used more often with a nervous First Officer seeking confirmation that the gear is up, the flaps are fully retracted, his meal is in the oven and the lass in the rear galley really likes him. He is "cooking on gas".
Hope this makes it easier for you. It was fun translating. R20d

As an "accomplished" " albeit incoherent, troll, it comes as no surprise to note your omission of the desultory and tawdry humanitarian response to Ukraine by the UK Gov't..... in stark contrast to the responses offered by EU nations.

If you can take the time to construct a coherent response, preferably using the medium of the English language and not some RP derivative, could you kindly explain your open, well barely disguised, antagonism to Germany ?

Also, fascinating to read another fleeting reference to aviation....thus far, despite polite requests, you seem reticent to expand on this figment of your imagination .


Right20deg 5th Apr 2022 17:11

It is right and just that the EU and it's member states receive due criticism and comment on their spectacular gross failures and shortcomings from the worlds media and from those who choose to support our elected UK government. That would be me and millions of others who do not belong to pp gangland. It is even the title of this thread.
This, considering the EU's treatment in words and actions of the UK over the last few years. Think... 'big picture' if it helps !
Probably not a wise thing to use nasty insults and name calling in debate. It means that you have failed...does it not.. and is quite unbecoming. However you seem quite comfortable, so please do not change a thing.
The points you raise are covered previously.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.