PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

ATNotts 9th Nov 2021 16:15


Originally Posted by Ninthace (Post 11139647)
They do if they have a mind to. On the other hand, in the good old days, out of date tax discs did not seem to bother them if the car parks at French regional airports were anything to go on.

Given the manner in which the UK is expected to act over the Irish border I can see the French and others becoming rather more robust with the rules where British vehicles are concerned.

Ninthace 9th Nov 2021 16:45


Originally Posted by ATNotts (Post 11139671)
Given the manner in which the UK is expected to act over the Irish border I can see the French and others becoming rather more robust with the rules where British vehicles are concerned.

I don't think that would bother les flics. They have their own agendas and can be nearly as colour as die Polizei. If they are out to get you ...

wiggy 9th Nov 2021 17:14


Originally Posted by Effluent Man (Post 11139640)
I have never used a country identifier. I don't think French police care. I have got a blue and yellow Ecosse sticker, although I'm not a Scot.


For info

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210902/uk-...ing-in-france/


It is important to note who is introducing the new requirement….

Ninthace 9th Nov 2021 18:16


Originally Posted by wiggy (Post 11139696)
For info

https://www.thelocal.fr/20210902/uk-...ing-in-france/


It is important to note who is introducing the new requirement….

Utterly ridiculous. The UK introduced the requirement - for driving abroad. So who is going to care and who is going to enforce it? Will there be checks when leaving the UK?

Deltasierra010 9th Nov 2021 18:31


Originally Posted by pug (Post 11139669)
I don’t feel I know enough to make a solid argument for or against;

CAP seems on face value to be quite wasteful so I’d have to agree with you there. In an ideal world what would you replace it with?

CFP, was under the impression this was mainly positive for EU member states? After all, the U.K. population don’t tend to consume much more than cod and haddock, so most of their catch is shipped overseas. Does erecting trade barriers therefore not have a detrimental effect on the U.K. fishing industry which far outweighs not being a part of CFP?

The CAP was designed so that Europe could be self sufficient in food, also the quality and environmental impact was good,
within that framework each state had flexibility how that was applied, the priorities are entirely different in Spain compared to Sweden.
The UK took the Cap options and “gold plated” them making them all but impossible to administer and hopelessly wasteful.

pug 9th Nov 2021 18:34


Originally Posted by Deltasierra010 (Post 11139739)
The CAP was designed so that Europe could be self sufficient in food, also the quality and environmental impact was good,
within that framework each state had flexibility how that was applied, the priorities are entirely different in Spain compared to Sweden.
The UK took the Cap options and “gold plated” them making them all but impossible to administer and hopelessly wasteful.

Interesting to know, thanks DeltaSierra010. So another concept made to be unworkable from within the U.K.?

Going back to my question this morning, I wonder what other EU laws we will be good to be rid of now out of the EU.. Anyone got any more?

Mr Mac 9th Nov 2021 18:34

I do hope so, as it would be fun to see some of the confrontations, though if the EU reciprocate by making you take them off to drive in the EU it could become more farcical.

Cheers
Mr Mac

SWBKCB 9th Nov 2021 18:37


Originally Posted by Deltasierra010 (Post 11139739)
The CAP was designed so that Europe could be self sufficient in food, also the quality and environmental impact was good,
within that framework each state had flexibility how that was applied, the priorities are entirely different in Spain compared to Sweden.
The UK took the Cap options and “gold plated” them making them all but impossible to administer and hopelessly wasteful.

Some evidence on the beneficial environmental impact (especially an evaluation against the cost) would be good.

Also any back up to the "gold plated" comment. Disallowance rates were higher than most other M/S.

blimey 9th Nov 2021 23:13

Ninthace

Yes. Still waiting for any Brexiteer to point to the delivery of any one of the so called advantages that made it all worthwhile. Shouldn't be too hard, just pull out any of your old leaflets and go through them. Come on, there has to be something positive you have achieved. Anything?
Though not being classed as a Brexiteer, I presume you don't drive an HGV or work in hospitality. Both areas where wages have increased due to a lack of cheap EU labour. All as predicted by Lord Rose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...endum-35707955

I dip into Jet Blast occasionally to read stories relating to aviation. Wouldn't this particular echo chamber find a more natural home on another site?

nomilk 9th Nov 2021 23:33


Originally Posted by blimey (Post 11139861)
HGV or work in hospitality. Both areas where wages have increased due to a lack of cheap EU labour.

You do realise that the wages in these jobs have gone up in the EU as well the past year? EU labour is not cheap anymore that's way they won't come on special visas, it is not worth it.

pug 10th Nov 2021 06:54


Originally Posted by blimey (Post 11139861)
Ninthace

Though not being classed as a Brexiteer, I presume you don't drive an HGV or work in hospitality. Both areas where wages have increased due to a lack of cheap EU labour. All as predicted by Lord Rose https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-pol...endum-35707955

I dip into Jet Blast occasionally to read stories relating to aviation. Wouldn't this particular echo chamber find a more natural home on another site?

Neglecting the fact that you’ve obviously missed the point of the Jet Blast forum, it’s quite frustrating to see nobody wanting to enter a debate, rather to see the thread closed or removed from the forum for it being a so called echo chamber. It’s open to anyone to come on and debate, but for some reason no Brexiteer tends to stay the distance on here. It should, by now, be glaringly obvious why.

Ninthace 10th Nov 2021 07:27

Thinking back, I don’t actually recall a campaign that said let us precipitate a supply chain crisis or drive the hospitality industry to the wall by causing a labour shortage but if you say it is a good thing, I believe you.

Hands up who voted for Brexit to put truck drivers’ wages up?

Just a spotter 10th Nov 2021 08:33

Some analysis on how things Brexit have panned out and the current impasse from Martin Wolf in The Financial Times, 9th Nov 2021


On the UK economic performance;


In its Economic and Fiscal Outlook last month, the Office for Budget Responsibility concluded that “since . . . November 2016, our forecasts have assumed that total UK imports and exports will eventually both be 15 per cent lower than had we stayed in the EU. This reduction in trade intensity drives the 4 per cent reduction in long-run potential productivity we assume will eventually result from our departure from the EU.” To put this in context, this is twice the estimated long-run costs of Covid and, in today’s value, is £80bn a year.

So far, outcomes are close to the earlier forecasts. The UK’s trade with the EU is shrinking relative to what would otherwise have happened. This will not be offset by other trade. That will impose costs in perpetuity.

On the impasse over the Northern Ireland Protocol


Particularly striking is the implication that this protocol — consciously and, one must assume, knowingly agreed by Johnson himself two years ago — was somehow “uncertain” and drawn up in “extreme haste”. In fact, its consequences were quite foreseeable. That is why Theresa May, his predecessor, rejected the idea of splitting Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK in this way. If Johnson did not understand what he was signing he was incompetent. If he did, but had no intention of abiding by the deal he signed, he was dishonest.
https://www.ft.com/content/5aed7bce-...9-1e345da4cec2

JAS

PDR1 19th Nov 2021 08:08


Originally Posted by blimey (Post 11139861)
Ninthace
I dip into Jet Blast occasionally to read stories relating to aviation. Wouldn't this particular echo chamber find a more natural home on another site?

Of course - when you can't discuss (let alone refute) a point the natural reaction is to prohibit discussion. Then burn all the books, and send all dissenters to political prisons in Siberian Gulags (or worse - Milton Keynes) pausing only to order the execution of any journalists who refuse to regurgitate your official lies from The Glorious Leader (may the world bow down at the slightest waft of His Sacred Flatulence).

Look, we get it. You made a bad choice and you are embarrassed by it. Why not man-up and admit it rather than trying to stop others discussing just how cretinous the decision was and what we might try to do to mitigate the monumental stupidity of those who got us here.

PDR

Krystal n chips 19th Nov 2021 08:37


Originally Posted by PDR1 (Post 11144350)
pausing only to order the execution of any journalists who refuse to regurgitate your official lies from The Glorious Leader (may the world bow down at the slightest waft of His Sacred Flatulence).

Whilst not quite your optimistic execution, it does help if, as you say, there are those available who will not be critical of the cult of Boris. Hence this departure and, as reported, a job spec being constructed for Mr Dacre at Ofcom (you can imagine the "interview " " are you Paul Dacre, former editor of the Daily Mail who published the headline "Enemies of the people ! " ) " yes" " congratulations on your appointment ! " ...Mail readers will be delighted of course because now they will be getting the regular feed of vituperation, fallacies and hyperbole...and des res house prices again.

Always nice to have a tame media outlet for propaganda disinformation purposes...

Geordie Greig ousted as editor of the Daily Mail | Geordie Greig | The Guardian


Bergerie1 19th Nov 2021 08:42

I am a remainer and happy to be so. While I recognise there are many things wrong with the EU, I think the evidence shows there are many more things wrong with Westminster and Boris and his followers. I can understand, but do not agree with, the desire to regain our independence - whatever that may mean, because we were always a sovereign nation even when within the EU.

What I find foolish beyond belief was, for mainly ideological reasons, to leave the single market, the customs union and, for aviation, EASA. I wonder how many Brexiteers are now having second thoughts.

Cornish Jack 19th Nov 2021 09:09

I wonder how many Brexiteers are now having second thoughts.

Pedant to the last, I must question if there was ever a first thought ? :ugh:

Bergerie1 19th Nov 2021 09:57

Ha! Ha! Cornish Jack. Very good!!!

Torquetalk 19th Nov 2021 10:55


Originally Posted by Bergerie1 (Post 11144359)
I am a remainer and happy to be so. While I recognise there are many things wrong with the EU, I think the evidence shows there are many more things wrong with Westminster and Boris and his followers. I can understand, but do not agree with, the desire to regain our independence - whatever that may mean, because we were always a sovereign nation even when within the EU.

What I find foolish beyond belief was, for mainly ideological reasons, to leave the single market, the customs union and, for aviation, EASA. I wonder how many Brexiteers are now having second thoughts.

That depends on who you mean Bergerie. If you mean the majority of Brexit voters; not many. The conviction of the Brexit vote was always the heavyweight compared to a large, lukewarm “suppose I’d better vote reman” contingent amongst the 48%

But if you mean the less committed Brexit voters, then I’d guess the 4% margin would be gone, or wafer thin. Were a political party with some conviction and vision were to offer the public a series of solutions to apparently interminable problems (such as a more balanced and perhaps fairer economy, less stressed “communities”, a fair and believable immigration policy and positive trade and political relations with the EU), I think they could carry a lot of the electorate with them. And then the swivel-eyed loonies and faux peoples’ politicians would have to crawl back into their holes. Because they have absolutely nothing to offer in substance on the issues listed above. And I am sure people know that in their hearts.

charliegolf 19th Nov 2021 12:11

The thing is, accepting that you got something very important wrong is a very high level, almost emotional, ego step. Many, being bright enough to see the evidence will know, but just won't concede. That's pride. Thicker people (the, take back control, fund the NHS, secure our borders con victims) will never concede they were wrong. The former, were there a vote down the line...mmm.

CG


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:50.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.