PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Pontius Navigator 16th Apr 2019 12:28


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10448773)
It would be interesting to know what criteria they used for that analysis.

Interesting that of all these, only Ireland and Finland are not monarchies or duchies etc.

Pontius Navigator 16th Apr 2019 14:52

TR, OTOH remainers could argue that many non voters were happy with the status quo and thus did not want to leave.

WingNut60 16th Apr 2019 15:19


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10448773)
It would be interesting to know what criteria they used for that analysis.

Easy enough to get from Wiki.

Interesting to note that the USA is classed as a Flawed Democracy.
I bet there are a few vocal contributors who would disagree with that.

Harley Quinn 16th Apr 2019 15:26


Originally Posted by WingNut60 (Post 10448901)
Easy enough to get from Wiki.

Interesting to note that the USA is classed as a Flawed Democracy.
I bet there are a few vocal contributors who would disagree with that.

Thanks for that. It'll be interesting to see how far down the table the UK falls in the aftermath of Brexit.

Exrigger 16th Apr 2019 16:04


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10448915)
Thanks for that. It'll be interesting to see how far down the table the UK falls in the aftermath of Brexit.

The UK would have to actually leave to find that out, and would suspect that if they left after a democratic vote that the Government claimed they would honour it is possible that a rise up the table would be on the cards, and fall if they don't leave. :E

The Nip 16th Apr 2019 16:42

It looks like BREXIT is causing job losses in Spain and Germany!!!!

The clouds looming over the global automotive industry have darkened this week with Volkswagen’s former CEO being charged with fraud over the Diesel emissions scandal. Already tumbling German business confidence will not be improved…

Now beleaguered car company Nissan will cut 600 jobs in two plants in Spain, on top of Ford’s announcement last month that it is slashing 5,000 jobs in Germany. If this was happening in Britain the media would be falling over itself to blame it on Brexit…

This is copied from Guido.

wiggy 16th Apr 2019 16:45

It seems that to some extent the Economist Index is actually based on the subjective views of a large panel of contributors plus ticks in boxes or not depending on the checks and balances in place.

It will be interesting to see how the UK fares next time around, regardless of whether Brexit has happened or not....PM propped up by a small number of hard core MPs in return for a bung subsidy to Northen Ireland, a small number in the ERG blocking progress.. I'm not sure how "flawed" can't come into it...

Krystal n chips 17th Apr 2019 05:38

Remember the time when those nasty immigrants were mentioned as an inducement to leave the EU ? .......

It's rather unfortunate then, that, this report sheds a different light on matters.....thank you Mr Banks, as always, and also worthy of mention are two rags who happily used this "evidence " to delude their avid readers ....no prizes for guessing said rags were the Mail and Excess by the way.

Isn't technology wonderful !

https://www.channel4.com/news/reveal...igrant-footage

CargoMatatu 17th Apr 2019 08:14


Originally Posted by Training Risky (Post 10448888)
Ah - but to which Leavers would argue that the undecided didn't feel that strongly about the status quo, or they would have voted Remain!

Or were so complacent that no-one in their right minds would vote to leave, so couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. Or idiots like my brother who says he never votes because he reckons his vote would make no difference! There's a lot of both around! :ugh:

yellowtriumph 17th Apr 2019 08:33


Originally Posted by Krystal n chips (Post 10449304)
Remember the time when those nasty immigrants were mentioned as an inducement to leave the EU ? .......

It's rather unfortunate then, that, this report sheds a different light on matters.....thank you Mr Banks, as always, and also worthy of mention are two rags who happily used this "evidence " to delude their avid readers ....no prizes for guessing said rags were the Mail and Excess by the way.

Isn't technology wonderful !

https://www.channel4.com/news/reveal...igrant-footage

Indeed.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tors-broadcast


Krystal n chips 17th Apr 2019 08:42


Originally Posted by yellowtriumph (Post 10449398)

Very good, well not really, quite risible actually......shame this is seven years old news.....not to mention attempting to influence voters with a fallacy specifically intended to influence a vote of national importance ....can you spot the difference here ?

Sallyann1234 17th Apr 2019 08:51


Originally Posted by Krystal n chips (Post 10449410)
Very good, well not really, quite risible actually......shame this is seven years old news.....not to mention attempting to influence voters with a fallacy specifically intended to influence a vote of national importance ....can you spot the difference here ?

Only a difference of scale. The intention to deceive was the same.

Bergerie1 22nd Apr 2019 12:24

Fake news or an uncomfortable truth?

https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_cad...cy?language=en

Pontius Navigator 22nd Apr 2019 12:31


Originally Posted by Bergerie1 (Post 10453153)
Fake news or an uncomfortable truth?

https://www.ted.com/talks/carole_cad...cy?language=en

Or a theory in search of funding?

Krystal n chips 23rd Apr 2019 06:03

There's nothing quite like an emotional outpouring to reveal the heart, soul and mind of the source and what better place to express these emotions than as a member of a party that is a magnet for every extremist attempting to masquerade as being rational........also contains rude words...

It wants to be an MEP by the way, hence the inclusion on this thread to save any combination of confusion and perplexed bewilderment.

Strangely, I have never felt marginalised by women for being male....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-male-violence

Sallyann1234 27th Apr 2019 11:41

The Brexit gravy train continues...
After the Government gave 103m contracts to three ferry operators, and 33m to Eurotunnel to cover their disappointment at not being included, P&O are the next company to feel they would like a share too and are suing for some compo.


Krystal n chips 28th Apr 2019 04:59

A few sage words of advice for Corbyn......please note the source of this advice.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-jeremy-corbyn

Cornish Jack 29th Apr 2019 20:42

Unsurprisingly, much of the preceding has passed me by, but, a question, if I may?
Where would one find precedence for the wishes of 37.179% of a State's voting population imposing their wishes on the remainder?
Couldn't happen in these Blessed Isles, of course ... 'cos we're a 'Democracy', Unfortunately, we're also the home of the author of 'Alice through the Looking Glass' and his character Humpty Dumpty ... "words mean just what I want them to mean" so, it seems that Democracy is a moveable feast!!:yuk:


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.