PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Sallyann1234 29th Mar 2019 15:09


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10433430)
If it's a case of them or us guess what?

I think you will find it will be them AND us.

racedo 29th Mar 2019 16:28


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10433371)
Methinks that bricks are being pooed in Dublin
ESRI warns disorderly Brexit could cost 80,000 Irish jobs
Taoiseach to meet Macron, Merkel amid Brexit uncertainty
(The 'land grab' attempt seems to be backfiring badly.)

Republic of Ireland is UK's 5 biigest export market at $25 Billion, UK imports $18 Billion. Great so you can celebrate where country we have a trade surplus of $7 billion is struggling. George Osborne said 10 years ago that Ireland trade accounted for close to 2 million UK jobs.

UK produces little that cannot be sourced elsewhere in EU, where exactly are we going to find a market worth this ?

racedo 29th Mar 2019 16:30


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10433430)
If it's a case of them or us guess what?

UK exports $500 million worth of goods every week to the UK. So where exactly can we sell it elsewhere ?

ThorMos 29th Mar 2019 16:39


Originally Posted by racedo (Post 10433509)
UK exports $500 million worth of goods every week to the UK. So where exactly can we sell it elsewhere ?

i just wanted to quote this before it gets edited. I know, it was a general mistake but maybe it was a freudian slip and t really shows the state of the UK... ;-)

Harley Quinn 29th Mar 2019 17:09

Not really sure what you see that's so wrong with what I wrote. If the UK leaves (increasingly doubtful), then the UK has to stand on its own two feet. Strangely enough that means being a bit more robust in its attitudes and trading arrangements. Someone give me a good reason why that's wrong.
Edited to add
And whoever suggested ROI would stop trading with the UK because of some job losses, well I think you are wrong.

racedo 29th Mar 2019 18:28


Originally Posted by ThorMos (Post 10433517)
i just wanted to quote this before it gets edited. I know, it was a general mistake but maybe it was a freudian slip and t really shows the state of the UK... ;-)

Not going to edit it. Just leave Jonny1post glorifying in his moment of fame.

Have you actually added anything to the debate ?

ThorMos 29th Mar 2019 18:35


Originally Posted by racedo (Post 10433607)
Not going to edit it. Just leave Jonny1post glorifying in his moment of fame.

Have you actually added anything to the debate ?

Oh, did i step on your toes? I'm so sorry, you Monster-Poster...
My comment was just a 'tongue-in-cheek' comment on your post and not serious in any form or shape, seems you are a bit touchy at the moment...

racedo 29th Mar 2019 18:43


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10433546)
Not really sure what you see that's so wrong with what I wrote. If the UK leaves (increasingly doubtful), then the UK has to stand on its own two feet. Strangely enough that means being a bit more robust in its attitudes and trading arrangements. Someone give me a good reason why that's wrong.
Edited to add
And whoever suggested ROI would stop trading with the UK because of some job losses, well I think you are wrong.

You really don't get it do you.

ROI gets hit hard because of Brexit means they buys less from UK, also collectively business and consumers take a view they would rather buy from EU than UK because recession is a result of UK action.

UK products and brands get replaced on the shelf and business buys from EU rather than UK. ROI did this before in 1930's, ultimately they went down the route of home grown industrys which kept them in good stead in WW2

Collectively Irish people will do it with little input from Government. UK will need to find even more trading partners.

NoelEvans 29th Mar 2019 19:06


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10433389)
You think it's amusing that Brexit may cause innocent people in the Republic of Ireland to lose their jobs.

Well good for you. :ugh:

What on earth makes you think that I think this is amusing?? I think it is very, very sad.

But let's look at who has caused that. The 'land grab' attempt by the south has brought about the detested 'backstop' that has caused the EU's deal (known to journalists as "May's deal") to be soundly rejected. Without that 'backstop' the 'deal' would have been amicably approved ages ago. And the future of the Irish economy would have looked a lot healthier. I wonder what Mr Varadkar would really prefer: the 'risk' of "chlorine washed chicken and hormone treated beef" (quoting him directly) coming into Ireland from the North (neither of those two are traded in Britain so where does he think the risk comes from?) or that serious risk of 80,000 job losses? Through his insistence on the backstop remaining in place he is putting those 80,000 jobs at risk. Less digging heels in about the 'backstop' could have left lots, and lots of people (primarily in Ireland but also in the UK and the rest of the EU) in much more secure job situations.

Mr Mac, not my opinion about the job losses, but people in Dublin who know a lot more than me (or, it appears, you).

Sally, maybe you see other people's misfortune as amusing but don't presume that others do.

yellowtriumph 29th Mar 2019 19:18


Originally Posted by ricardian (Post 10433314)

Assuming this is not your own original artwork, and it appears to feature characters who would almost certainly be subject to some sort of trademarking or copyright, would this sort of post be banned under the proposed EU enforcement? Genuine question and not an attempt at a wind up.

VP959 29th Mar 2019 19:25


Originally Posted by yellowtriumph (Post 10433653)


Assuming this is not your own original artwork, and it appears to feature characters who would almost certainly be subject to some sort of trademarking or copyright, would this sort of post be banned under the proposed EU enforcement? Genuine question and not an attempt at a wind up.

Yes.

This is exactly the sort of meme-ban that will be imposed when the new legislation comes into force (assuming that the copyright on the drawings by E.H. Shepard still applies).

Harley Quinn 29th Mar 2019 19:55


Originally Posted by racedo (Post 10433620)
You really don't get it do you.

ROI gets hit hard because of Brexit means they buys less from UK, also collectively business and consumers take a view they would rather buy from EU than UK because recession is a result of UK action.

UK products and brands get replaced on the shelf and business buys from EU rather than UK. ROI did this before in 1930's, ultimately they went down the route of home grown industrys which kept them in good stead in WW2

Collectively Irish people will do it with little input from Government. UK will need to find even more trading partners.

I agree there is a risk, but the 1930s situation included a global depression and a spat over whether the Irish should pay the debts they had signed up to in 1922.
I think basing future predictions of the sayings of gorgeous George is a bit perilous; his track record over the last 4 years or so isn't the best.
I suspect that most Irish are no different to most British; they are creatures of habit who prefer familiarity and value for money.

oldairphot 29th Mar 2019 21:22


Originally Posted by yellowtriumph (Post 10433653)


Assuming this is not your own original artwork, and it appears to feature characters who would almost certainly be subject to some sort of trademarking or copyright, would this sort of post be banned under the proposed EU enforcement? Genuine question and not an attempt at a wind up.

Naughty boy, D Tusk will be so cross with you for repeating such a misdemeanor, expect the dreaded 4am knock on your door once the EU Nazis have finally defeated us, with the able help of our quisling government

MFC_Fly 29th Mar 2019 21:30


Originally Posted by oldairphot (Post 10433741)
Naughty boy, D Tusk will be so cross with you for repeating such a misdemeanor, expect the dreaded 4am knock on your door once the EU Nazis have finally defeated us, with the able help of our quisling government

Is that 4am GMT or BST, or some other time zone that could be imposed on us? :)

oldairphot 29th Mar 2019 21:36


Originally Posted by MFC_Fly (Post 10433746)
Is that 4am GMT or BST, or some other time zone that could be imposed on us? :)

Ours of course!!

Buster11 30th Mar 2019 00:52

[QUOTE=Bob Viking;10433071]
So, after your plea for Brexit justification I replied. I accept you may be busy so after 15 posts and two days I thought I might check in and see what you have to say.

Was my reply not what you were expecting? Had you been led to believe that all Brexiteers were venom spitting, racist zealots who voted leave to fund the NHS?

Apologies, BV; just back from a few days in Andalucia, and, contrary to popular belief the rain certainly didn't fall on any plains while we were there; 22 degrees and CAVU non-stop.

I'd assumed, perhaps erroneously, that your comment on £350 million back for the NHS was ironic. I don't recall if the slogan on the buses suggested that that would be per day, per week, per month or per year, but I gather that it, along with other Faragery, is now seen to be, shall we say, fanciful.

A couple of posters have mentioned EU regulation having an adverse effect on licences and the cost of an altimeter. It does seem odd to me that, presumably, a majority of the 28 EU members are in favour of every regulatory change that comes from their Union, and yet we in the UK seem to often be the ones who complain of bureaucratic heavy-handedness. It looks to be to be rather a case of everyone being out of step except our Johnny.
Like you I have no love of multi-layered bureaucracy, but, having survived one pretty nasty war that started in a Europe consisting of numerous states operating pretty much in isolation from each other, I just have a gut feeling that an organisation that does, indeed as you mention, give a country like Latvia similar rights to Germany or France, must help to keep our continent a bit more cohesive and deter some of the extremes of nationalism; OK, I know Hungary and Orban isn't too good an example. I have a strong objection to watching our country heading lemming-like to national suicide, while trying to convince itself that it's still a major international power, with nations the world over eager to trade with us just as soon as we leave the EU. I'm European; it's where we live and I regard the ability to get in a car and drive from London to, say, Bucharest or Helsinki with a passport they all accept as a precious priviledge that comes from our EU membership.

I still wonder why so many of those posting refer not to any personal negative impact of EU membership but mainly to bureaucracy and sovereignty.

racedo 30th Mar 2019 01:42


Originally Posted by Harley Quinn (Post 10433677)
I agree there is a risk, but the 1930s situation included a global depression and a spat over whether the Irish should pay the debts they had signed up to in 1922.
I think basing future predictions of the sayings of gorgeous George is a bit perilous; his track record over the last 4 years or so isn't the best.
I suspect that most Irish are no different to most British; they are creatures of habit who prefer familiarity and value for money.

Really think you need to look as history.

Ireland got the Treaty ports returned, start self sufficiency which they would have need to do less than a decade later and removed what they saw as a malevolent attempt at destroying them. Osborne's statement on how many jobs were reliant on irish trade was correct, Stats were readily available from CBI / Govt Stats on exports.

Assumming Irish are no different than British is the stupid thinking that London has done for centuries, they are not nor ever will be. A referendum on leaving EU in Ireland would be massively defeated. They have never had the negative view on EU like the UK. In 1990's on a 4 week travel staying in B&Bs around Ireland the morning conversations with host was generally around "What was happening in world, in Ireland, UK, from politics to econonics". Trying to have a similar conversation in UK is pretty much a no chance.

UK doing damage to Irish economy will see people switching out of what they buy, message will be "Irish jobs lost because of Brexit" and bearing in mind Lidl and Aldi market share is higher than Tesco people will make it clear they want non UK sourced products plus avoid UK retailers.

In Food and Mouth scare 15 or so years ago everywhere I travelled had foot baths to wash shoes, symbolic in areas of Dublin not near farms BUT everybody understood impact where as in UK where millions of animals slaughtered it was irrelevant out of those areas. We underestimate trade impact way too easily.

racedo 30th Mar 2019 01:45


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10433639)
What on earth makes you think that I think this is amusing?? I think it is very, very sad.

But let's look at who has caused that. The 'land grab' attempt by the south has brought about the detested 'backstop' that has caused the EU's deal (known to journalists as "May's deal") to be soundly rejected. Without that 'backstop' the 'deal' would have been amicably approved ages ago. And the future of the Irish economy would have looked a lot healthier. I wonder what Mr Varadkar would really prefer: the 'risk' of "chlorine washed chicken and hormone treated beef" (quoting him directly) coming into Ireland from the North (neither of those two are traded in Britain so where does he think the risk comes from?) or that serious risk of 80,000 job losses? Through his insistence on the backstop remaining in place he is putting those 80,000 jobs at risk. Less digging heels in about the 'backstop' could have left lots, and lots of people (primarily in Ireland but also in the UK and the rest of the EU) in much more secure job situations.

Mr Mac, not my opinion about the job losses, but people in Dublin who know a lot more than me (or, it appears, you).

Sally, maybe you see other people's misfortune as amusing but don't presume that others do.

It was not a land grab rather it was ensuring that 1998 Good Friday Agreement was respected and no borders put up to trade or free movement of people.

Northern Ireland by 56 to 44% were in favour of remaining in EU. There is zero support for a hard border.

Bob Viking 30th Mar 2019 06:35

Buster11
 
Thanks for your reply. That is what I mean when I refer to grown up debate. We may disagree with each other but there is no need for hostility.

I respect your viewpoint but it wonít change mine.

May I just ask, though, at what stage was it ever suggested by anyone that European road trips would be off the menu after Brexit? Iíve heard mention of a potential European driving permit being needed for a tiny fee. Maybe visas will be needed, though I very much doubt it. None of this is insurmountable though surely?

BV




jolihokistix 30th Mar 2019 07:16

My insurance company recently sent me an email warning that I might not be covered in Europe, depending on the shape of the pull-out.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.