PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Torquetalk 3rd Oct 2019 09:12


Originally Posted by akindofmagic (Post 10585383)
You fail to explain why you think that's a bad thing.

i just walked down to the local shop & back. My arms didn‘t do much compared to my legs. Not sue I would have wanted to set out without them though.

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 10:02

Notice that it's always the 'net recipients' that say that we shouldn't talk about money?

Pontius Navigator 3rd Oct 2019 10:32

The argument about the Noel Edmonds options has gone on so long that my head hurts and I have forgotten what the no no deal option is. All this talk of backstop, no back stop, one border, two borders, no borders, but what is the no no deal option?

pax britanica 3rd Oct 2019 10:34

Mr Osbourne might have exaggerated a bit but we are technically in a recession and have an increasingly weak currency
Our government has cast serious doubt on the integrity of our legal system despite the fact that UK law underpins innumerable business contracts that do not impact the UK- and will lead people to question why these are in UK law if its own government tries to rubbish the legal process.

As things stand we are losing our free trade agreement with the worlds largest trading bloc and destination of more than 50% of our exports.
Damaging the environment by doing deals with countries thousands of miles away instead of a few hundred, ,many of whom have far far lower standards on goods than the Eu
We are losing the economic power of the Eu to stand up to trumps America First and China 's conquest without conflict policies which we cannot do on our own and will be exploited ruthlessly by both those nations
Unscrupulous city traders will make billions short selling the UK as they cost even more jobs than have been lost already- giving skilled well paid workers a job as an Uber driver doesnt do anything for the economy except re create a Privileged class and Servant class.
Take back control from a stable sane if sometimes bureaucratic centrist organisation and give it to a Government and to a degree a parliament that has made us the laughing stock of the world.

Losing free movement -which many dont seem to have grasped works both ways
We are losing the E111 health care exchange system which will cost families hundreds of pounds if the have even a minor health issue

So maybe remind me again whats so great about this Brexit business for the average citizen, after all when we really were Great Britain we had child labour, the press gang, enclosures, no health care no mass education, women couldnt vote mass poverty massive infant mortality .........



Just a spotter 3rd Oct 2019 11:09


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10585174)
You hit the nail on the head : the English are sick at the idea that their money could help someone else.
How many 'we're net contributors' have we not seen on this forum ? How many 'Scotland is in deficit', etc. ?

When you say “the English” … it might be worth noting that’s it’s the London area, with its high level of foreign born workers that is the single greatest net contributor to all UK regions, including all other parts of England outside of the its own immediate hinterland.

From the Guardian, citing UK ONS stats (from 2017m but still shows the balance)
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ple-spend-less

London economy subsidises rest of UK, ONS figures show
And those immigrants ...
https://www.oxfordeconomics.com/rece...3-0e250df6dbba

European migrants living in the UK contribute £2,300 more to public purse each year than the average adult, suggesting a net contribution of £78,000 to the exchequer over their lifespan in the UK.
As for Scotland, it is reducing its defecit and would be a net contributor to the UK if oil was closer to $60 per barrel.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...pending-the-uk

JAS

Sallyann1234 3rd Oct 2019 11:43


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585455)
Notice that it's always the 'net recipients' that say that we shouldn't talk about money?

OK then, let's talk about the money.
​​​​​​The money comes from England, and substantially from London.
London voted to stay in the EU.
He who pays the piper...

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 11:46


Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator (Post 10585475)
The argument about the Noel Edmonds options has gone on so long that my head hurts and I have forgotten what the no no deal option is. All this talk of backstop, no back stop, one border, two borders, no borders, but what is the no no deal option?

The Monster Raving Loony Party have had the answers for a long time. This is their Brexit Policy:

We will Send Noel Edmonds to negotiate Brexit because he understands Deal or No Deal.
There will be no need for a backstop to the Brexit negotiations. We’ll have Alec Stewart as wicket-keeper.

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 11:49


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10585527)
OK then, let's talk about the money.
​​​​​​The money comes from England, and substantially from London.
London voted to stay in the EU.
He who pays the piper...

Nice one!

(But who feeds London?)

SaulGoodman 3rd Oct 2019 12:29


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585535)
Nice one!

(But who feeds London?)

Dutch farmers ;)

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 12:58


Originally Posted by SaulGoodman (Post 10585565)


Dutch farmers ;)

Nice one too!!

Along with many, many, many British farmers.

(An excellent 'bumper sticker' that I saw on a Dutch camper van once -- in Northumbria!! -- was "Farmers feed Cities".)

And Dutch food will continue to be welcome whatever the outcome. (Although the tomatoes from my own greenhouse taste much better than the Dutch tomatoes that are found in our supermarkets!)

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 13:00

I hear that the Irish are expecting about a 5% negative hit to their economy in the case of a 'no deal' Brexit.

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 13:02

I also heard that the Swedes need to see a reason for a 'Brexit extension' before agreeing to it.

Sallyann1234 3rd Oct 2019 13:21


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585583)
I also heard that the Swedes need to see a reason for a 'Brexit extension' before agreeing to it.

I hate Swedes.

Harley Quinn 3rd Oct 2019 14:06


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10585162)
If you're afraid of spectres, why conjure them ?

Do your best to negotiate deals, allow your partners to continue working in a peaceful way, respect them, act just like...well...fair and helpful future - ex partners.
And once and for all, forget about that stupid far rightish Eu-bashing...

Your words in bold are applicable to both sides, yet you still can't bring yourself to admit the idea you posited was offensive to anyone who expects the French to act in a civilised manner. I would hope the rest of your countrymen have rather more honour.

NoelEvans 3rd Oct 2019 14:34


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10585592)
I hate Swedes.

Not a very 'pro-EU' comment that, is it?

However, eat red meat: it's now safe again and much more nutritional.

ATNotts 3rd Oct 2019 14:59


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585583)
I also heard that the Swedes need to see a reason for a 'Brexit extension' before agreeing to it.

The EU requires a reason before granting an extension. Change of government, election, referendum. Perm any one from those three.

Pontius Navigator 3rd Oct 2019 15:09

Pax Brit, my wife was hospitalised in Cyprus. She was advised to go to a private clinic rather than public as the latter was very basic. The medical care in the clinic was excellent and not expensive, about £300 per day. Pastoral care, food, water etc was negligible.

The E111 does not give you NHS equivalence. You need travel insurance. It is not expensive and can give you more options.

yellowtriumph 3rd Oct 2019 15:27


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585583)
I also heard that the Swedes need to see a reason for a 'Brexit extension' before agreeing to it.

Angela Merkel will say it is necessary. Reason enough.

Just a spotter 3rd Oct 2019 16:08


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585582)
I hear that the Irish are expecting about a 5% negative hit to their economy in the case of a 'no deal' Brexit.

Estimated by the OECD to be a deceleration in GDP of about 1.5% per year for the first couple of years. That's less than their estimate of a hit of circa 2% to the UK.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...e-uk-1.4023672

The OECD said a no-deal exit would generate a large negative shock to the UK economy, pushing it into recession, while damaging growth prospects [in Ireland].
There's no winners in the wider economy from Brexit. Some narrow sectional interests may get a boost, but it's pretty much consensus amongst independent economists that Brexit in any form results in a smaller UK economy and causes damage to those economies that have strong trade ties to the UK.

The harder and more chaotic the departure, the worse the damage all round.

JAS

Sallyann1234 3rd Oct 2019 16:14


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10585641)
Not a very 'pro-EU' comment that, is it?

However, eat red meat: it's now safe again and much more nutritional.

Nothing against the EU. I don't like any Swedes, even the English grown ones.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:09.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.