PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

ehwatezedoing 19th Sep 2019 16:04

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....6a86a71538.jpg

LowNSlow 19th Sep 2019 16:16

Salter and Monnet must be so proud of Verhofstadt's European Empire speech at the Lib-Dems conference…..

LowNSlow 19th Sep 2019 16:48

yotty; as 68% of the UK water supply comes from reservoirs, I would say building more would make a big difference.

Pontius Navigator 19th Sep 2019 17:23


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 10573792)
yotty; as 68% of the UK water supply comes from reservoirs, I would say building more would make a big difference.

but where I wonder. Kielder Water, Rutland Water and Grafham Water were t here inundations that required villages to be abandoned. I rather think that such plans today would meet much stiffer resistance.

LowNSlow 20th Sep 2019 10:36

PN; and also the Tryweryn Reservoir in Wales. I remember it being flooded as the valley had the same name as the valley I'm from and all us little kids were panicking as we thought our village was going to be flooded!

There is a proposal for a reservoir at Abingdon but it was turned down in 2011 as the need for it was "unproven" but new proposals were released in 2018. Needless to say there are major protests against it.

Krystal n chips 20th Sep 2019 12:27

In these turbulent times, it's always refreshing to learn that, within the UK population there can still be found those legendary yeomen and stalwart defenders of... Ingurlund

The UK Border Force can, presumably, now stand down with the mobilising of these men of granite, here to guard our shores. " well ' ard mate, well 'ard ! "

Now, to be fair, credit where credit is due. Clearly, the two valiant defenders are in a different league to many of their associates.

I say this on the basis they have, apparently, completed the intensive one year, possibly longer, course in the use of ...binoculars.....and which two, of the four, apertures are used for viewing. After grasping this essential, clearly comes the next, and far more complex tasks, of hand / eye coordination as they move the fingy in the middul wot makes fings biggur. .dunnit !

This is Brexit related, because, as we know, all dem immigrunts is frettning to invade Ingurlund so the lads, ravver than wreck pubs and cafes in their support of Ingurlund, is doin their patereeotic duty and defending us !....

Personally, I prefer to put my faith in the various professional agencies rather than a bunch of street thugs and yobs....

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/19/far-r...ants-10775258/

Sallyann1234 20th Sep 2019 12:39

But we should be celebrating these brave amateurs, protecting our coast from the invading hordes. "Don't tell him your name, Farage!"

CEJM 20th Sep 2019 12:42

A quote from the article:

‘It says it is determined to stop people who undertake the dangerous journey from Britain to France on small boats ‘from landing on our shores’.’

I guess I have to thank these yobs for preventing the British escaping across the channel to the EU!


Fly Aiprt 20th Sep 2019 13:13


Originally Posted by CEJM (Post 10574482)
A quote from the article:

‘It says it is determined to stop people who undertake the dangerous journey from Britain to France on small boats ‘from landing on our shores’.’



Thanks to those guys who will prevent the Blond Prince hordes from another chevauchée through the sweet Kingdom of France ;-)

NoelEvans 20th Sep 2019 15:22

Two questions:

Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 10573780)
Salter and Monnet must be so proud of Verhofstadt's European Empire speech at the Lib-Dems conference…..

I wonder how forming a new government is getting on in Mr Verhofstadt's native country? (And if you look at history, concepts of 'empire' coming from there should send a chill down anyone's spine.)

Next question: If the EU is so good, why do we have so many people trying to escape from there to Britain?

Sallyann1234 20th Sep 2019 16:06


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574581)
Two questions:
I wonder how forming a new government is getting on in Mr Verhofstadt's native country? (And if you look at history, concepts of 'empire' coming from there should send a chill down anyone's spine.)
Next question: If the EU is so good, why do we have so many people trying to escape from there to Britain?

You already know the answer, but you seem to need humouring.

People smugglers in north Africa and elsewhere have for years incited victims to escape their miserable existence with stories of a wonderful life in the UK. More recently they have been selling the story that the UK will slam the gates after Brexit and must pay for the trip right now. These people don't read the UK papers and don't know in advance the risks of travel or the unfriendly reception awaiting them here.

Happy now?

NoelEvans 20th Sep 2019 16:39

You ignored the first question.

CEJM 20th Sep 2019 16:45

What does it matter Noel?

The issues relating to forming a government in Belgium have absolutely nothing to do with either the EU or Brexit.

Belgium seems to be operating just fine without a government in place. Maybe we should get rid of the bunch of incompetent id*ots that run the UK at the moment. I will more then happily supply the digger to dig the ditch for Boris.

Fly Aiprt 20th Sep 2019 16:53


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574581)
If the EU is so good, why do we have so many people trying to escape from there to Britain?

Because in the UK, you don't need an ID ?


Sallyann1234 20th Sep 2019 17:54


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574632)
You ignored the first question.

Because it had nothing whatever to do with the subject.

NoelEvans 20th Sep 2019 18:25


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10574645)
Because in the UK, you don't need an ID ?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

I heard an excellent comment from Peter Hitchens on Radio 4's "Any Questions" on the topic of compulsory national ID once:
"In a free country authority has to identify itself to you; in an un-free country you have to identify yourself to authority".

I have lived in a country with compulsory national ID and now in a country without. I prefer the free country.

That is probably exactly why they are trying to escape from the EU to Britain. They are escaping from un-free countries.

NoelEvans 20th Sep 2019 18:33


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10574685)
Because it had nothing whatever to do with the subject.

Really? If there is that much disunity at the very core of the EU, then leaving is probably a good idea.

Another question: why do so many till receipts in France still quote a French Franc equivalent? I got a rather embarrassed laugh without an answer the last time I was given one and asked that question. Does that mean, after all this time, that so many French still do not fully trust the Euro? If so, are they that convinced about the EU? How far off is Frexit? Just a question. (Or two or three.)

Fly Aiprt 20th Sep 2019 19:26


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574705)
Another question: why do so many till receipts in France still quote a French Franc equivalent? I got a rather embarrassed laugh without an answer the last time I was given one and asked that question. Does that mean, after all this time, that so many French still do not fully trust the Euro? If so, are they that convinced about the EU? How far off is Frexit? Just a question. (Or two or three.)

Noel, your (first) question is a really good one, but your inferences are wrong.
I'll cut you some slack, since you've never been confronted with a change of currency.

The equivalent in Francs is for the old people. When the euro was introduced in 2001, even the cleverest people I know kept the Franc to quote man hours, buildings etc. for a significant period.
It takes time to finally know the value of everything in the new currency. 18 years isn't a long period, and many people have contracted a loan in Francs.
Would you think that some old people are still counting in ancien Francs, and yet the change took place in 1960 !

Before you start sneering at those retards on the Continent, think that Britain is supposed to be metric since...since when by the by ?
And yet even educated people are having difficulties with it and are still using feet and yards dating back to William the Conqueror, a - Argh ! - French Norman^^!

Sallyann1234 20th Sep 2019 19:36


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10574737)
Noel, your (first) question is a really good one, but your inferences are wrong.
I'll cut you some slack, since you've never been confronted with a change of currency.

The equivalent in Francs is for the old people. When the euro was introduced in 2001, even the cleverest people I know kept the Franc to quote man hours, buildings etc. for a significant period.
It takes time to finally know the value of everything in the new currency. 18 years isn't a long period, and many people have contracted a loan in Francs.
Would you think that some old people are still counting in ancien Francs, and yet the change took place in 1960 !

Before you start sneering at those retards on the Continent, think that Britain is supposed to be metric since...since when by the by ?
And yet even educated people are having difficulties with it and are still using feet and yards dating back to William the Conqueror, a - Argh ! - French Norman^^!

Don't worry about it. Some people think they know all the answers and yet insist on asking all the questions. It's a small but typical example of the much bigger problems that our unhappy country refuses to face at the moment.

Fly Aiprt 20th Sep 2019 19:48


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574705)
Does that mean, after all this time, that so many French still do not fully trust the Euro? If so, are they that convinced about the EU? How far off is Frexit? Just a question. (Or two or three.)

Forgot those questions, sorry.

Made a trip to Madrid two weeks ago, will go to Berlin then Barcelona in October, so believe me I know what to think of the Euro.
But how could you know, since you still have to think change, count in your head everytime you travel abroad.

As for Frexit, well your PM and his mob do us an immense service. Every word from BJ or any Brexiteer makes Frexit more remote everyday.
You are daily demonstrating how stupid the idea would be ;-)



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.