PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Avionker 17th Sep 2019 16:02


Originally Posted by Fitter2 (Post 10572188)
Unfortunately, the EU refused to discuss any future trade - not just banana regulation (contrary to the requirement of Article 50).

There was a Framework agreed, as per Article 50. So the negotiations were carried out in the prescribed and agreed upon manner.

LowNSlow 17th Sep 2019 18:38

For those who are interested here's Article 218 which states at the end that the European Parliament has to give it's consent to the final agreement.

Fly Aiprt 17th Sep 2019 18:59


3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.
Any request for an extension, must be unanimously approved by the European Council (27 states).
The 27 are getting impatient.

The Nip 17th Sep 2019 20:59


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10572304)
Any request for an extension, must be unanimously approved by the European Council (27 states).
The 27 are getting impatient.

I don't blame them.

Steepclimb 17th Sep 2019 21:15

At this point most members of the EU want the British, English out. They're nothing but trouble. But the consensus is that it's a bad thing but not the end of the world. Certainly not the end of the EU.

I suspect they'll protect the Irish.

The English will cut the country adrift. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will have to decide whether they attach themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit. Or Englexit.

I'm afraid the efforts of the Lib Dems and the vacuous Labour Party won't save England.





Islandlad 17th Sep 2019 22:06


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10572304)
Any request for an extension, must be unanimously approved by the European Council (27 states).
The 27 are getting impatient.

The one thing the EU will bend over backwards and hold out indefinitely for is a Remain UK.

Fly Aiprt 17th Sep 2019 23:02


Originally Posted by Steepclimb (Post 10572382)
At this point most members of the EU want the British, English out. They're nothing but trouble. But the consensus is that it's a bad thing but not the end of the world. Certainly not the end of the EU.

I suspect they'll protect the Irish.

Agreed.


The English will cut the country adrift. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland will have to decide whether they attach themselves to the sinking ship of Brexit. Or Englexit.
Those people expressed what they want in a democratic referendum in 2016.
The British government must deliver what they voted for. No ifs, no buts.

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted remain.



racedo 17th Sep 2019 23:22


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10572439)
Those people expressed what they want in a democratic referendum in 2016.
The British government must deliver what they voted for. No ifs, no buts.

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted remain.

UK is screwed either way.

Leave and take the conseuences, stay and next time they try bullying tactics, Malta or one the smallest members just asks "So what are you going to do ? Leave !!!!!"

Ultimate checkmate.

iceman50 18th Sep 2019 04:43

Fly Aiprt


Those people expressed what they want in a democratic referendum in 2016.
The British government must deliver what they voted for. No ifs, no buts.

Scotland and Northern Ireland voted remain.
It was not a separate vote in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England it was a UK (including NI) vote and it is the UK (including NI) that is a member of the EU, NOT the individual countries.

Bob Viking 18th Sep 2019 05:59

Iceman
 
Indeed. It appears to have been taken as fact that Scotland and NI voted to leave. It is quoted by remainers and especially the SNP to reinforce their narrative.

The voters in Scotland and NI said remain when asked whether the UK should leave the EU. They have never been asked if they think an independent Scotland or NI should leave the EU. Who knows what the results would be.

BV

ATNotts 18th Sep 2019 06:56


Originally Posted by iceman50 (Post 10572531)
Fly Aiprt



It was not a separate vote in Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England it was a UK (including NI) vote and it is the UK (including NI) that is a member of the EU, NOT the individual countries.

It certainly wasn't, however if we really wish to keep the pretense that the UK is actually a federation of 4 "nations" then the very fact that two of those "nations" voted to remain ought to carry some weight, unless, as I suspect, the UK (England) is treating those other nations of the UK as though they were colonies of the "empire".

Grayfly 18th Sep 2019 08:00

I wonder sometimes if England had a vote in any Indyref re Scotland what the result would be. Still not sure why UK want's to keep Scotland in the mix.

renfrew 18th Sep 2019 08:03

Something to do with oil,gas and electricity?

Fly Aiprt 18th Sep 2019 08:20


Originally Posted by renfrew (Post 10572620)
Something to do with oil,gas and electricity?

And fisheries ?

Avionker 18th Sep 2019 08:22


Originally Posted by Grayfly (Post 10572619)
I wonder sometimes if England had a vote in any Indyref re Scotland what the result would be. Still not sure why UK want's to keep Scotland in the mix.

Two words:-McCrone Report.

Grayfly 18th Sep 2019 08:36


Originally Posted by renfrew (Post 10572620)
Something to do with oil,gas and electricity?

Sorry, I forgot storing your nuclear toys as far away from London as possible. Gas and oil possibly only short term issues if we want to stop producing as much CO2 in future.

So it's leccy and fish.

IcePack 18th Sep 2019 08:43

Scottish fishing industry wants to leave EU. Funny the SNP seems to ignore that fact.

renfrew 18th Sep 2019 08:50

But salmon and shellfish exporters would be ruined.

ORAC 18th Sep 2019 08:52


So it's leccy and fish.
Who else are they are they going to sell their spare capacity too?

As for fish, as repeatedly recently pointed out, the majority of the licences are held by Spanish and Dutch companies who land their catches in Europe - and will continue to do if Scotland stays in the EU.

Assuming they are able to solve the problem of a “hard border” between Scotland and England to Brussels’ satisfaction.....

Avionker 18th Sep 2019 09:18


Originally Posted by ORAC (Post 10572656)
Who else are they are they going to sell their spare capacity too?

As for fish, as repeatedly recently pointed out, the majority of the licences are held by Spanish and Dutch companies who land their catches in Europe - and will continue to do if Scotland stays in the EU.

Assuming they are able to solve the problem of a “hard border” between Scotland and England to Brussels’ satisfaction.....

No GFA to worry about, the border issue would be much simpler.

As for electricity, I’m sure a reasonable price could be agreed upon. I’m sure that Scotland would be willing to discuss selling water to England as well. You should probably start planning for that now, only 20 or so years until English taps start running dry.


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:43.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.