PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   Backwards technoligy (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/618048-backwards-technoligy.html)

funfly 5th Feb 2019 14:46

Backwards technology
 
Interesting to remember that in this day and age of technology taking over manual labour, we have an opposite example.
Remember ten years ago mechanical car washes were popping up all over the place and getting more and more sophisticated.
Little did we think that within 10 years 'hand' washing would almost totally replacer the mechanical system.

NutLoose 5th Feb 2019 15:25

Plus they do a better job, will do the inside too and are cheaper.

exeng 5th Feb 2019 15:30

Nutloose, I totally agree with your statement. What has concerned me is that, around here anyway, hand car washes are so cheap you have to wonder if the workers are being paid a descent living (and legal minimum) wage. I have some doubt about that and worry that by using their services I am encouraging exploitation of these workers.


Kind regards
Exeng

yellowtriumph 5th Feb 2019 15:42


Originally Posted by exeng (Post 10381080)
Nutloose, I totally agree with your statement. What has concerned me is that, around here anyway, hand car washes are so cheap you have to wonder if the workers are being paid a descent living (and legal minimum) wage. I have some doubt about that and worry that by using their services I am encouraging exploitation of these workers.


Kind regards
Exeng

Perhaps surprisingly some info here:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/salaries/Ca...ndant-Salaries

exeng 5th Feb 2019 16:02

Thanks Yellow T. On that basis I shall continue to use their services.


Kind regards
exeng

Mac the Knife 5th Feb 2019 16:19

"Remember ten years ago mechanical car washes were popping up all over the place and getting more and more sophisticated."

"Sophisticated"? Not so fast there.... They flogged the paintwork and any waxing off. Ripped off the wipers and squoggled the rear view mirrors.
Squirted high pressure dirty soapy water through door and boot seals. Filled up the doors with same thru window seals.
Gave the drums of rear drum-brakes a good soaking and left vertical streaks of gunge on the body work.

Used one once and never again. Most of my local bergies can do a better job

Mac

:}



Pontius Navigator 5th Feb 2019 16:37

My previous favoured car wash had a number of Baltic workers. They were there more than 10 years. One had wife and children in UK with children in local school.. They were always helpful and cheerful.

The present one is probably Iraqi, do an efficient job but not a cheerful bunch.

A_Van 5th Feb 2019 16:49

Cheap immigrant labour stops development of some innovative technologies, that's clear :-)

Guys from mid Asia are doing this kind of services here, in the middle of the "empire of evil". I would prefer half-naked Russian girls (dreaming.....:-)

pax britanica 5th Feb 2019 16:54

Is a car wash attendant the guy who does the manual bits at a mechanical car wash=-wheels windows etc or a guy with a bucket and sponge seems a bit of a difference.

If the pay is reasonable why are there no Brits doing this work we have dozens around where I live and all seem to be from SE Europe , Baltics or N Africa .

PJD1 5th Feb 2019 17:01


Originally Posted by yellowtriumph (Post 10381089)
Perhaps surprisingly some info here:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/salaries/Ca...ndant-Salaries

That may be the case with the companies listed which all appear to be reputable operations but I would hazard a guess that many of the smaller back street operations are a very different story. Many will also be operating illegally as they probably don't have the correct drainage systems with interceptors that would be required for a licenced operation.

charliegolf 5th Feb 2019 17:04


Originally Posted by pax britanica (Post 10381142)
Is a car wash attendant the guy who does the manual bits at a mechanical car wash=-wheels windows etc or a guy with a bucket and sponge seems a bit of a difference.

If the pay is reasonable why are there no Brits doing this work we have dozens around where I live and all seem to be from SE Europe , Baltics or N Africa .

Mine is staffed by Brits. Another down the road isn't. It's a fir mix around here.

CG

G-CPTN 5th Feb 2019 17:08


Originally Posted by PJD1 (Post 10381151)
Many will also be operating illegally as they probably don't have the correct drainage systems with interceptors that would be required for a licenced operation.

The (hand) carwash at our local Tesco Extra has no interceptors - the excess water streams across the footways (and freezes in winter).

Krystal n chips 5th Feb 2019 17:16


Originally Posted by Mac the Knife (Post 10381112)
"Remember ten years ago mechanical car washes were popping up all over the place and getting more and more sophisticated."

"Sophisticated"? Not so fast there.... They flogged the paintwork and any waxing off. Ripped off the wipers and squoggled the rear view mirrors.
Squirted high pressure dirty soapy water through door and boot seals. Filled up the doors with same thru window seals.
Gave the drums of rear drum-brakes a good soaking and left vertical streaks of gunge on the body work.

Used one once and never again. Most of my local bergies can do a better job

Mac

:}

Apart from one outlet that is. Imported from Germany, the key is the moving track while the wash brushes remain static.

This organisation were ahead of their time both environmentally and technically. Plus, being German and thorough, they had tried and tested every possible combination to see "what could go wrong, and why ".....this helped when Brits started complaining about "damage" when it fact it was the drivers fault for not obeying the instructions.

Did a business study report on them for my degree, Very informative and helpful organisation. They are also franchise operations.


yellowtriumph 5th Feb 2019 17:23


Originally Posted by Krystal n chips (Post 10381162)
Apart from one outlet that is. Imported from Germany, the key is the moving track while the wash brushes remain static.

This organisation were ahead of their time both environmentally and technically. Plus, being German and thorough, they had tried and tested every possible combination to see "what could go wrong, and why ".....this helped when Brits started complaining about "damage" when it fact it was the drivers fault for not obeying the instructions.

Did a business study report on them for my degree, Very informative and helpful organisation. They are also franchise operations.

We have one of these units in our local Sainsburys, pretty good it is too.

Pontius Navigator 5th Feb 2019 17:57

YT the one in Grimsby was a Californian Car Wash. It was replaced by a team though you still drove through the wash room.

As for interceptors etc, that most washes are in dedicated facilities they will council authorized and inspected.

Curiously, where I am now, none of our washes are in Supermarket car parks. Where they are on Tesco etc Tesco will be benefitting from the franchise and responsible for environmental compliance.


ATNotts 5th Feb 2019 18:57


Originally Posted by PJD1 (Post 10381151)
That may be the case with the companies listed which all appear to be reputable operations but I would hazard a guess that many of the smaller back street operations are a very different story. Many will also be operating illegally as they probably don't have the correct drainage systems with interceptors that would be required for a licenced operation.

I wouldn't believe those number quoted in the "Indeed" link.

I use a facility based out of a former petrol forecourt and last time I was there I did a quick calculation based on number of people working, price and time taken for each vehicle, and I doubt that the money taken would cover anywhere near the figures they quoted, and that's before little matters of NI, water rates, business rates, and of course a nice fat salary for the gang master - sorry, owner. Lads do a bloody good job though, always cheery, always polite and friendly.

Not looking forward to the day, in a couple of years, when it's back to the bucket and portable vacuum cleaner. Another Brexit dividend!! Seriously though, I really don't understand why trading standards don't clamp down on these slave drivers. I'd happily pay a bit more to see them earn a half decent (legal) wage.

Kiltrash 5th Feb 2019 19:00

Call me old fashioned, Your old fashioned, but i am guite happy giving the car a monthly wash and brush up while Mrs K does the vacuuming, dusting, washing, Ironing, window cleaning, dog grooming, gardening and shopping. Well equal division of labour

yellowtriumph 5th Feb 2019 20:09

Personally I always leave a protective layer of dirt over my car. Since we bought the last one on a PCP my thinking is that since we are in reality only borrowing the car why should I bother as it doesn't really belong to me. Bit OT - sorry.

meadowrun 5th Feb 2019 21:00

Goes faster if it's clean although the dirt can help the rust hold everything together.
We always keep the aircraft clean. The savings in fuel burn are calculable and somewhat significant with a fleet.
That's hand washing as well.

Weren't/Aren't a significant amount of these hand car washes fronts for criminal operations?

ShyTorque 5th Feb 2019 21:07


Originally Posted by charliegolf (Post 10381152)
Mine is staffed by Brits. Another down the road isn't. It's a fir mix around here.

CG

Fir mix around here?

.. Your local branch, I presume......or am I barking up the wrong tree?


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:40.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.