PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   A Sickness in US Society (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/566749-sickness-us-society.html)

bcgallacher 15th Sep 2015 06:52

Rh200 et al - total murder rate is down and suicides down by a substantial amount also during the same period. Selective figures regarding gun deaths? I really do not know how to select gun death figures - you are either shot dead or not shot dead. Bullet holes are usually a good indication. As far as gun ownership is concerned none of us know what our mental state will be tomorrow,next week or next year. Some people become aggressive and violent with alcohol. Easy access to lethal weapons contributes to the high rate of gun crime in the USA. Our nut jobs fortunately find it harder to get a gun. Recent figures show an 80% increase in gun ownership in the UK, 1.8 million guns in private hands but falling gun deaths - why? Because gun ownership is controlled,not banned to try to ensure that guns do not fall into irresponsible hands and it appears to work.
Just a final point regarding selection of facts and figures- have a closer look at NRA statements sometime.

Simplythebeast 15th Sep 2015 07:14

Those 1.8 million lawfully held guns in the UK are owned by 734,336 people. So just 1.1 per cent of the Population has access to a legally owned weapon.
Doesnt sound quite as dramatic as the 80% increase in firearms headline somehow.

bcgallacher 15th Sep 2015 07:15

West Coast - you are scraping the bottom of the barrel with you reference to the killings of British subjects by drones. Coming from an American that is laughable considering that the U.S. Has killed thousands by drone strikes including so- called British citizens. Most of these killings have been morally and legally justified. The two gentlemen who were taken out by the drone were actively planning to kill people in the UK - the great British public did not exactly get upset at their demise.

Simplythebeast 15th Sep 2015 10:00

for Extrajudicial killings of British Subjects read.... Extermination of terrorists who had turned their back on the Country that had housed fed and educated them and were planning to do it harm. Good riddance to the two of them. I'm sure the vast Majority of Brits feel the same.

Lonewolf_50 15th Sep 2015 12:17


Originally Posted by Seldomfitforpurpose (Post 9116932)
Mrs Lanza, not sure I need say any more......

Using your logic there, you should surrender your driving license because someone else drove drunk.

Report yourself to the police, immediately. Take the bus home. :rolleyes:

Seldomfitforpurpose 15th Sep 2015 13:17


Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 (Post 9117302)
Using your logic there, you should surrender your driving license because someone else drove drunk.

Report yourself to the police, immediately. Take the bus home. :rolleyes:

Not sure I am seeing any in the above standard obfuscating gibberish offering :rolleyes:

Meanwhile in the land of the free another domestic gets settled the easy way

Delta State University shooting suspect 'kills himself' - BBC News

Seldomfitforpurpose 15th Sep 2015 13:20


Originally Posted by West Coast (Post 9116967)

You make yourself irrelevant with an argument that promotes punishing innocents for the actions of a criminal.

Where did I suggest that?

bcgallacher 15th Sep 2015 13:32

Simply the Beast - I am at a loss to comprehend your point. What I will say though is that the firearms controls that regulate who can and who cannot own a firearm seem to work well - we have few firearm deaths compared to most countries.

Seldomfitforpurpose 15th Sep 2015 14:04


Originally Posted by Simplythebeast (Post 9117030)
Those 1.8 million lawfully held guns in the UK are owned by 734,336 people. So just 1.1 per cent of the Population has access to a legally owned weapon.
Doesnt sound quite as dramatic as the 80% increase in firearms headline somehow.

That should read as 1.1% of the population WANT access to legally owned weapons, I could probably get one if I wanted to but I don't want or need one :ok:

At the time of the handgun ban only about 0.1% of the population owned a handgun which suggests that roughly 99.9% didn't want or need a hand gun :ok:

Lonewolf_50 15th Sep 2015 14:38


Originally Posted by Seldomfitforpurpose (Post 9117375)
Not sure I am seeing

Your failure in reasoning ability I can't help you with.

As to the link you provided, I am trying to figure out why the "kills himself" is in scare quotes in the BBC article. Is that due to nobody seeing him do it, or is that an implication of something else being suspected by the writer? :confused:

West Coast 15th Sep 2015 15:57

bcgallacher

The Brit public proably shouldn't lose sleep over the death of the two terrorists. They should lose sleep that thier own citizens were killed by thier own government minus judicial process. Either way, welcome back to the nations that use death penalty.

AtomKraft 15th Sep 2015 17:10

Let's face it.
If we had guns, and US guys were not allowed to have them, we'd call them pussies.

bcgallacher 15th Sep 2015 17:18

West coast - I do not think that there are many in the UK that are in any way bothered about the death of these barbarians. No judicial process was required for an act of war - we have always killed our enemies when required. My hope is that these are the first of many.

ExXB 15th Sep 2015 17:25


Originally Posted by AtomKraft (Post 9117632)
Let's face it.
If we had guns, and US guys were not allowed to have them, we'd call them pussies.

I suspect many of them are pussies. It doesn't take a big strong woman, or man, to pull a trigger. Only wimps need a gun.

Present company excluded, of course. :rolleyes:

AtomKraft 15th Sep 2015 17:59

ExXB
Holding fire usually takes more balls than letting fly in all directions.

Any US infantryman will no doubt be happy to illuminate.

ExXB 15th Sep 2015 18:22

Did you miss the :rolleyes: ?

Or are you one of those pussies? :evilgrin:

Lonewolf_50 15th Sep 2015 19:13


Originally Posted by AtomKraft (Post 9117690)
ExXB
Holding fire usually takes more balls than letting fly in all directions.

Any US infantryman will no doubt be happy to illuminate.

Takes both more training, and more discipline. Not sure what "balls" has to do with it, but maybe you mean "ability to keep composure/keep cool under pressure" by that? :confused:

Seldomfitforpurpose 15th Sep 2015 19:17


Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 (Post 9117772)
Takes both more training, and more discipline. Not sure what "balls" has to do with it, but maybe you mean "ability to keep composure/keep cool under pressure" by that? :confused:

Are you suggesting that without training and discipline folks might not be safely competent with a gun?

Lonewolf_50 15th Sep 2015 19:19


Originally Posted by Seldomfitforpurpose (Post 9117776)
Are you suggesting that without training and discipline folks might not be safely competent with a gun?

You appear to have just done so. Do you ever get tired of trying to put words into someone else's mouth?

I'll wait for Atom to answer my question to him, thanks.

Seldomfitforpurpose 15th Sep 2015 19:23


Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 (Post 9117782)
You appear to have just done so. Do you ever get tired of trying to put words into someone else's mouth?

I'll wait for Atom to answer my question to him, thanks.

Bit of a swerve there, tough questions often do that :ok:


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:21.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.