Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Kate Bush No 1

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Kate Bush No 1

Old 17th Jun 2022, 22:24
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Midlands
Posts: 371
Kate Bush No 1

Just been reading that Kate Bush has achieved the No 1 slot with her single ‘Running Up That Hill’, thanks to the film ‘Stranger Things’ and it’s got me thinking. Apart from the obvious ( Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Who) Is there anyone else who’s popularity from four decades ago (Or longer), has retained the same popularity with our younger generation?
jethro15 is offline  
Old 17th Jun 2022, 22:45
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by jethro15 View Post
Just been reading that Kate Bush has achieved the No 1 slot with her single ‘Running Up That Hill’, thanks to the film ‘Stranger Things’ and it’s got me thinking. Apart from the obvious ( Beatles, Rolling Stones, Kinks, Who) Is there anyone else who’s popularity from four decades ago (Or longer), has retained the same popularity with our younger generation?
Erm...Smokey
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 00:09
  #3 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,728
The most obvious is ABBA.
ShyTorque is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 00:54
  #4 (permalink)  
ZFT
N4790P
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Asia
Age: 71
Posts: 2,145
Journey, Boston and Europe to name but a few
ZFT is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 06:31
  #5 (permalink)  

Nigerian In Law
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The stool at the of the bar
Age: 63
Posts: 1,044
The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen ?

NEO
Nigerian Expat Outlaw is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 06:37
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Outer ring of HEL
Posts: 942
There's plenty, one of my personal favourites being Queen.
Beamr is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:15
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Yellowknife
Posts: 41
Following on with Queen - here is the Green Day crowd singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the British Summer Time Festival – Hyde Park, London (July 1st, 2017). Most of Green Day's fans weren't even born when Bohemian Rhapsody was released.

spInY nORmAn is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:26
  #8 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 58
Posts: 9,864
Dunno how much youngsters listen to the music I like, I'm mostly buying 60s and 70s stuff that my tastes over the last 50 years have steered me towards. Still finding great stuff I've never heard of before. Seals and Crofts just popped up on YouTube - this is nice - probably and sadly because Jim Seals has just died - and there's a problem, the clog popping pop stars of me yoof are accelerating alarmingly...
treadigraph is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:48
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,447
Originally Posted by Nigerian Expat Outlaw View Post
The Eagles, Bruce Springsteen ?

NEO
ELO (now prefixed by Jeff Lynne's)
ATNotts is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 07:54
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 6,529
Is there anyone else who’s popularity from four decades ago (Or longer), has retained the same popularity with our younger generation?
Has she retained popularity or has there been a blip in interest after being featured on a popular tv show?

Of course I'm biased after three years at Uni hearing her on repeat from every door/window you walked past. And Rush. And Jeff Wayne's War of the flipping World's...
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 08:15
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Has she retained popularity or has there been a blip in interest after being featured on a popular tv show?

Of course I'm biased after three years at Uni hearing her on repeat from every door/window you walked past. And Rush. And Jeff Wayne's War of the flipping World's...
I won’t have anything said against Jeff Wayne’s WotWs! My guilty secret and often on in the car when I’m alone. Great to sing along too (and do my best Richard Burton impressions!)

I'm very proud of the fact my two adult children are real 80s music fans - mind you, they had little choice as that’s all we tended to have playing when they were growing up.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 08:34
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: A better place.
Posts: 2,148
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
Dunno how much youngsters listen to the music I like, I'm mostly buying 60s and 70s stuff that my tastes over the last 50 years have steered me towards. Still finding great stuff I've never heard of before. Seals and Crofts just popped up on YouTube - this is nice - probably and sadly because Jim Seals has just died - and there's a problem, the clog popping pop stars of me yoof are accelerating alarmingly...
Don't lose hope in them.
Son 21 is a rabid Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix fan - also loves cool jazz.
Daughter 17 likes 80s music.
Meanwhile they've introduced their dear old Dad to new stuff I wouldn't have even contemplated listening to which is quite good - some of which my band even plays - and we're all late forties to mid fifties!
tartare is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 09:16
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Formerly resident of Knoteatingham
Posts: 880
Slade
David Bowie
Elton John
Dire Straits
BANANASBANANAS is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 09:31
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Kristiansand
Posts: 51
I thought using The WHO’s Won’t Get Fooled Again in the dogfight in Maverick- Top Gun was inspired. The intro alone on this track gives me goosebumps.
annakm is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:23
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dorset
Age: 69
Posts: 18
You Sexy Thing by Hot Chocolate was released in 1975 and went to No. 2 in the UK charts.

In 1997 it was used in the film The Full Monty and went to No. 6.

I expect there are more...



timgill is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:29
  #16 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,728
I think The Seekers hold the long service record for a group, albeit with a few breaks - it's sixty years since they were formed. Their reunion lasted far longer than their original partnership did!

ShyTorque is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:31
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: in the sky
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by tartare View Post
Don't lose hope in them.
Son 21 is a rabid Stevie Ray Vaughan and Hendrix fan - also loves cool jazz.
All good stuff, SRV like Hendrix died far too soon.
Speaking of cool jazz....
The opening of the film, American Hustle plays Dirty Work by Steely Dan, I just knew when I heard the opening bars the film was going to be good.

Not seen Maverick yet, but looking forward to hearing the Who in it. Saw them in 1989, showing my age lol, what a gig.
Tom has a habit of good music in his films....Old Time Rock and Roll anyone...
Brian Pern is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:33
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 185
'Stranger Things' did it in the previous season too with Limahl's 'NeverEnding Story'. Not sure if it made the charts again but it definitely went viral with over a million monthly listens on Spotify.
Stu666 is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:34
  #19 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,728
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
ELO (now prefixed by Jeff Lynne's)
Saw him perform in concert in 2017. He and his group were totally brilliant! IMHO Jeff is one of the world's most under-rated musicians.
ShyTorque is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2022, 10:46
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: in the sky
Posts: 104
Originally Posted by ShyTorque View Post
Saw him perform in concert in 2017. He and his group were totally brilliant! IMHO Jeff is one of the world's most under-rated musicians.
Would love to see him live, yet to do it, on the list with Roger Hodgson (Supertramp).

Jeff is not a bad producer either, some of the stuff he has done with others...George Harrison, Tom Petty, The Willburys...astounding,
Brian Pern is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.