Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Sir David Amess, MP, stabbed

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Sir David Amess, MP, stabbed

Old 15th Oct 2021, 14:23
  #1 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 9,086
Sir David Amess, MP, stabbed

A man has been arrested after reports that Conservative MP Sir David Amess was stabbed at a constituency surgery. Reported to be receiving treatment at the scene.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58929453
treadigraph is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 15:07
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnydale
Posts: 198
Just confirmed on LBC that Sir David has passed away following his injuries.
back to Boeing is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 15:44
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 20,988
Why????

RIP..
NutLoose is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 15:50
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
Why????

RIP..
Nutlose
No idea, same with Joe Cox. RIP even if I personally did not agree with his stance on some issues. Elected representatives anywhere should not have to run this risk or be treated like this be they left or right on the political spectrum.

Kind regards
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 15:57
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: south of Cirencester, north of Lyneham
Age: 74
Posts: 1,259
Quite Right, Mr. Mac!

I'd be happy to see the perp shot dead rather than arrested...
radeng is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 16:11
  #6 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 9,086
Very sad news; though I confess I couldn't recall his name even though he has been in Parliament ever since I was able to vote. One of those MPs who quietly gets on with the business of doing the job rather than making a name for themselves perhaps.
treadigraph is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 16:13
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 55
Posts: 865
Originally Posted by radeng View Post
Quite Right, Mr. Mac!

I'd be happy to see the perp shot dead rather than arrested...
Well I suppose martial law would obviate the need for MPs, therefore removing the risk of them being assassinated 🙄

RIP Sir David. I suspect we would have agreed on little politically, but as a human being and fellow animal lover this is desperately sad and unnecessary.
Curious Pax is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 16:57
  #8 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,131
Another senseless murder of an MP.

However, what will be interesting will be the flawed and despicable motive. We know Jo Cox was murdered by a right wing extremist and, for an MP who was relatively obscure on the political stage, then extremism in the same context would seem unlikely.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 18:07
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 20,988
Watching the forensics etc coming and going from the hall on the news, but why the heck are there armed police standing guarding the door?
NutLoose is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 18:12
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,206
Sickening. I've no love for the blue party but democracy has to exist peacefully for it to work. May he RIP..
TURIN is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 18:47
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 44
DT

"Police have arrested a 25-year-old Somalian man on suspicion of murdering the Conservative MP Sir David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times at his constituency surgery."

Well, well, another invitee to this country - what a f*****ng surprise.. This was the one thing that Trump got right. Leave them in their shit-holes.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 19:25
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,483
Elected representatives anywhere should not have to run this risk or be treated like this be they left or right on the political spectrum.
I have to hope that that was slightly misworded. NOBODY should have to run this risk.
radeng's unsurprising kneejerk response would ensure that the reason for the attack (be it political, mental or sheer malice) would never be known, so avoiding a repeat would be made more difficult
TF will not be alone in his obnoxious support of an even more obnoxious semi-human. Such sentiments offer the basis for a recipe for future repeats
Question - Does, or should, the personality/place in society.ot the victim involved, affect the degree of distress caused to the family and friends ?.
Turin - can't dispute the sentiment expressed, but what exactly does this piece of increasingly common stupidity have to do with democracy ?
Cornish Jack is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 19:32
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 13,364
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
DT

"Police have arrested a 25-year-old Somalian man on suspicion of murdering the Conservative MP Sir David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times at his constituency surgery."

Well, well, another invitee to this country - what a f*****ng surprise.. This was the one thing that Trump got right. Leave them in their shit-holes.
There are almost certainly thousands of Somali refugees in the UK. Should they all now be locked up because of their presumed homicidal tendencies ?
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 19:55
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
DT

"Police have arrested a 25-year-old Somalian man on suspicion of murdering the Conservative MP Sir David Amess, who was stabbed multiple times at his constituency surgery."

Well, well, another invitee to this country - what a f*****ng surprise.. This was the one thing that Trump got right. Leave them in their shit-holes.
What a ridiculous post. Jo Cox‘s murderer was a white British man. Did he have special dispensation to do this because he was a citizen? That is the implication if you are more outraged that the crime was worse if committed by an immigrant/refugee.

All and some TF. I am sure the long-established Somali community of Cardiff will be horrified to think that someone of their ethnicity did something so dreadful.

And if you still are looking to Donald Trump for policy direction, join the queue with white supremacists, the raptured, tax avoiders, Covid deniers, extreme anti-abortionists etc. Trump got shit right because no single issue was properly thought through.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:23
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnydale
Posts: 198
Originally Posted by Torquetalk View Post
What a ridiculous post. Jo Cox‘s murderer was a white British man. Did he have special dispensation to do this because he was a citizen? That is the implication if you are more outraged that the crime was worse if committed by an immigrant/refugee.

All and some TF. I am sure the long-established Somali community of Cardiff will be horrified to think that someone of their ethnicity did something so dreadful.

And if you still are looking to Donald Trump for policy direction, join the queue with white supremacists, the raptured, tax avoiders, Covid deniers, extreme anti-abortionists etc. Trump got shit right because no single issue was properly thought through.
I wanted to reply to his post and then I thought no. He’s a troll. Nothing more nothing less. Debasing himself to Reductio ad absurdum. By that vein all men should be thrown out of the country or locked up because most violent crime is committed by men.

Rather than debasing ourselves to either TF’s or the criminal that committed this crime’s level. How about we firstly look at how no person who commits their life to their constituents should ever be harmed and secondly to the man himself. I am no supporter of the current government, and neither am I am fan of some of Sir David’s viewpoints. Until today I had never heard of him.

listening to today’s stories. He was a politician who was dedicated to his constituents. Had solid beliefs that he did not waver from. A staunch animal rights supporter in his entire political career. A father of 5. I disagree with some of his more catholic beliefs but I am looking forward to reading his Ayes and Ears book.

A man of principle as far as I can tell even if I didn’t agree with all of his, I can still respect him for it and the world is a poorer place without him.
back to Boeing is online now  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:33
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
There are almost certainly thousands of Somali refugees in the UK. Should they all now be locked up because of their presumed homicidal tendencies ?
I would be very happy for all of those who have committed crimes (. Somalians are well represented in knife and gun-crime , plus drugs south of the river ) to be catapulted back to their homeland irrespective of their immigration status, poor childhood and current mental state.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:43
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 20,988
I would jail them first then kick them out, my belief is if you have come to this country and have been accepted as a refugee, come citizen, then if you commit a heinous crime such as rape, assault, murder, knife crime, theft etc then you should lose that privilege and be deported to whence you came.
NutLoose is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:47
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
Elected representatives anywhere should not have to run this risk or be treated like this be they left or right on the political spectrum.
I have to hope that that was slightly misworded. NOBODY should have to run this risk.
radeng's unsurprising kneejerk response would ensure that the reason for the attack (be it political, mental or sheer malice) would never be known, so avoiding a repeat would be made more difficult
TF will not be alone in his obnoxious support of an even more obnoxious semi-human. Such sentiments offer the basis for a recipe for future repeats
Question - Does, or should, the personality/place in society.ot the victim involved, affect the degree of distress caused to the family and friends ?.
Turin - can't dispute the sentiment expressed, but what exactly does this piece of increasingly common stupidity have to do with democracy ?
CJ
My comment were with regards to MP,s, but I would obviously say that nobody should have this occur to them ever. A little surprised the perpetrator is Somali in that area, though I can not say I know the area at all, just seemed an odd place to find a refugee.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:48
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 487
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
I would be very happy for all of those who have committed crimes (. Somalians are well represented in knife and gun-crime , plus drugs south of the river ) to be catapulted back to their homeland irrespective of their immigration status, poor childhood and current mental state.
And the majority of British Somalis, an overwhelming majority, are not represented in knife and gun crime. They are citizens like you with the same rights and doubtless every bit as decent (but hopefully less bigoted). For goodness sake grow up before it’s too late and senility robs you of your reason proper.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2021, 20:48
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 901
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
Elected representatives anywhere should not have to run this risk or be treated like this be they left or right on the political spectrum.
I have to hope that that was slightly misworded. NOBODY should have to run this risk.
radeng's unsurprising kneejerk response would ensure that the reason for the attack (be it political, mental or sheer malice) would never be known, so avoiding a repeat would be made more difficult
TF will not be alone in his obnoxious support of an even more obnoxious semi-human. Such sentiments offer the basis for a recipe for future repeats
Question - Does, or should, the personality/place in society.ot the victim involved, affect the degree of distress caused to the family and friends ?.
Turin - can't dispute the sentiment expressed, but what exactly does this piece of increasingly common stupidity have to do with democracy ?
CJ
My comment were with regards to MP,s, but I would obviously say that nobody should have this occur to them ever. A little surprised the perpetrator is Somali in that area, though I can not say I know the area at all, just seemed an odd place to find a refugee.

Cheers
Mr Mac

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.