Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here give a toss about the olympics?

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Does anyone here give a toss about the olympics?

Old 27th Jul 2021, 12:24
  #141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,334
I think, but am not certain, that there are two elements concerning skateboarding, namely 'street' and 'park'. The street is concerning tricks, some of which are incredibly difficult and require heaps of agility, co-ordination and finesse. Having had some skateboarding friends back in the day and having a timid go here and there, it's a lot more difficult than it seems.

The park section is basically riding in a bowl that is fast, acrobatic and dangerous, the closest to being able to surf a wave on land.

I can see both sides, the inclusion of a sport perhaps lacking gravitas or a long pedigree, but at the same time having a near 50 yr history, perhaps millions of adherents across the planet, very accesible to all and youth orientated.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 12:41
  #142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,249
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack View Post
I can see both sides, the inclusion of a sport perhaps lacking gravitas or a long pedigree, but at the same time having a near 50 yr history, perhaps millions of adherents across the planet, very accesible to all and youth orientated.
The IOC perceives it has a problem, namely keeping "yoof" on its side. Old fogies like me enjoy the "real", classic if you will, events such as track and field, swimming and their like, but for the life of me I don't know what skateboarding, surfing, tennis, golf (and don't get me started on "synchonised drowning") and their like are doing there. We'll probably see darts and snooker before too long - I actually enjoy both but not as Olympic sports.

Sadly similar is happening in the Winter Olympics which I do actually take time out to enjoy; traditional alpine skiing has been supplemented with Moguls and Freestyle events.

Generally speaking I like sports that where performance can be measures absolutely in distance, height or time rather than by marks handed out by judges producing the winner. I'm just old fashioned I guess.

ATNotts is online now  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 13:00
  #143 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
The IOC perceives it has a problem, namely keeping "yoof" on its side. Old fogies like me enjoy the "real", classic if you will, events such as track and field, swimming and their like, but for the life of me I don't know what skateboarding, surfing, tennis, golf (and don't get me started on "synchonised drowning") and their like are doing there. We'll probably see darts and snooker before too long - I actually enjoy both but not as Olympic sports.

Sadly similar is happening in the Winter Olympics which I do actually take time out to enjoy; traditional alpine skiing has been supplemented with Moguls and Freestyle events.

Generally speaking I like sports that where performance can be measures absolutely in distance, height or time rather than by marks handed out by judges producing the winner. I'm just old fashioned I guess.
So you don’t agree with that old classic figure skating being an Olympic sport?
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 13:19
  #144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,249
Originally Posted by highflyer40 View Post
So you don’t agree with that old classic figure skating being an Olympic sport?
Actually, no - for the reasons laid out in my posting. Nor gymnastics. If all these "marked" sports were removed from the games there would still be more than enough "higher, longer, faster" sports to keep a host city busy for 10 - 14 days. Incidentally, I also enjoy watching figure skating - especially the men's, women's and pairs but that doesn't mean I particularly believe they belong in the Olympics.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 13:28
  #145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 1,624
I actually found today's surfing to be quite competitive and also worthy of being an Olympic event.

This game's Olympic medals are made out of 78 tons of recycled electronics.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/s...ials-1.6114606

There's hope Takeshi's Castle can also become Olympic grade.
cattletruck is online now  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 18:56
  #146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 484
Angel

Multi-talented Tom Pidcock won gold in the mens’ MTB event with a brillaint performance against the world’s best. So much more fo come from him at only 22. MTB seems an entirely suitable new sport for the Olympics, being skillful and athletic. Not to mention being a popular participative sport.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 19:01
  #147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,206
I had to Google MTB. 😁
TURIN is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 19:17
  #148 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 8,966
Originally Posted by TURIN View Post
I had to Google MTB. 😁
I didn't. Motor Torpedo Boat. I can see them being part of a gripping Olympic event.
treadigraph is online now  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 20:41
  #149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by TURIN View Post
I had to Google MTB. 😁
Rock hard, as Van der Poel emphasized at 0:48. Pidcock was directly behind and chicaned around him on landing


Last edited by Torquetalk; 28th Jul 2021 at 07:17.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 21:48
  #150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,206
Video not available. 😐
TURIN is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2021, 07:19
  #151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 484
Same edit, another link inserted. Maybe this one works.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2021, 07:28
  #152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
I didn't. Motor Torpedo Boat. I can see them being part of a gripping Olympic event.
It would make the rowing so much more enjoyable to watch if they were being chased by a MTB.
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 28th Jul 2021, 16:49
  #153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,334
I watched the 3x3 Basketball competition earlier today by chance, never knew that such a thing existed, and certainly not that it was an Olympic sport!!! Basically it's 3 against 3 in the end zone/basket area of a normal size court. Interesting and yes played all over the world by kids and adults doing lay-up's in the local park, but Olympic sport ? I'm not so sure.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 29th Jul 2021, 14:31
  #154 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: England
Posts: 172
Having watched some of it albeit limited to the guff bbc are 'transmitting'. GB are competing in a multiude of sports but it seems very little is shown. For example you get 5 minutes of archery shown despite having representation of both mens, womens and mixed team events as well as the individual competitions.
But they will show the whole match of an two random nations playing ping pong.
Perhaps if they spent time actually showing the sport and less time letting the 'experts' dribble on or giving airtime to athletes families to gush over how they nearly won a medal, or videos of how great auntie nellie nearly lost her teeth cheering, ffs.

Agree with comments about the skateboarding, supposedly the worlds best, didnt look like it to me.
keyboard flier is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 00:38
  #155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,371
In the US, TV ratings for these Olympic games are down over half from Rio in 2016...
tdracer is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 06:07
  #156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 841
Originally Posted by tdracer View Post
In the US, TV ratings for these Olympic games are down over half from Rio in 2016...
Are you really surprised when Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of ET? Most of the events are in the middle of the night.
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 06:37
  #157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,334
In the US, TV ratings for these Olympic games are down over half from Rio in 2016...
Talking of TV ratings, apparently the reason for the inclusion of lots of 'street' sports/activities is an attempt by the IOC to future-proof the viewership and, of course, their revenue streams. This was told to me by a 13 yr old!

I watched the BMX races yesterday and on the one side the competitors looked ridiculous on their tiny bikes, however the speed and agility was very impressive.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 06:46
  #158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 6,184
Originally Posted by keyboard flier View Post
Having watched some of it albeit limited to the guff bbc are 'transmitting'. GB are competing in a multiude of sports but it seems very little is shown.
TBF the limited guff on the BBC might be down to the IOC selling the broadcast rights to Discovery…BBC and others are now sub sub sub something broadcasters and I think can only show two events live at any one time…

If you are in the UK you now need access to Eurosport to get full coverage.
wiggy is online now  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 07:02
  #159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 13,249
Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack View Post
I watched the BMX races yesterday and on the one side the competitors looked ridiculous on their tiny bikes, however the speed and agility was very impressive.
Yes, they definitely had the saddles too low.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2021, 07:41
  #160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 69
Posts: 62
They looked like them kids who drop off your smack.
Effluent Man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.