Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Flying around the globe. A question posed by flat Earth.

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Flying around the globe. A question posed by flat Earth.

Old 6th May 2021, 12:29
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 18
Flying around the globe. A question posed by flat Earth.

First off let me state categorically that I don't just believe but know the Earth is round. I am not a flat earther.
While listening to a programme debunking flat earthers a question was posed (by a flat Earther) that got me thinking. So I wanted to post the question here so I can better understand the principle in question.

The Earth is round. Ships going far into the distance dissapear below the horizon due to the curvature of the Earth. Yes, correct.
What about aircraft? Why don't aircraft have to adjust their altitude to compensate for the curve?
munnst is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 12:36
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: In front of a computer
Posts: 2,067
Because they fly at a constant altitude which over a short distance appears flat but in fact curves along with the surface of the globe.
ETOPS is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 12:39
  #3 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 8,542
Does the Flat Earth Society still have members around the globe?
treadigraph is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 12:58
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kiribati
Posts: 32
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
Does the Flat Earth Society still have members around the globe?
ahahahah
capricorn23 is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 13:02
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
Does the Flat Earth Society still have members around the globe?
none on this side of the disc...
ThorMos is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 13:02
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Aberdeen
Age: 73
Posts: 167
If the Earth was flat, cats would have shoved everything off the edge.
Geordie_Expat is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 13:47
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lemonia. Best Greek in the world
Posts: 1,704
I saw the "round" Earth from my one and only Concorde trip, JFK to LHR. Pilot pointed it out.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 14:07
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 77
Posts: 379
On two occasions I found that if you take off from Waddo and head west you eventually get back to Waddo - and nice things happen on the way.
Barksdale Boy is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 14:42
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton
Posts: 745
It makes no odds. No matter how you prove them wrong with logic, facts, science etc, they still won't believe you.

If you took then into space to show them, they will still believe it to be a trick, so they are best ignored.
Saintsman is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 14:42
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: uk
Age: 64
Posts: 69
Be kind to Flat Earthers... they had enough trouble adapting from Vinyls to CDs you cannot expect them to comprehend... flash drives!!!
alicopter is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 14:50
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cayley's County - Yorkshire
Posts: 145
On two occasions I found that if you take off from Waddo and head west you eventually get back to Waddo - and nice things happen on the way.​​​​​​
I think you'll find that if you take off and head in any direction you'll eventually get back to Waddo, although granted dependent on the direction chosen you might not get the same "nice things" while doing so.!!
CAEBr is online now  
Old 6th May 2021, 15:14
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Great White North
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by munnst View Post
First off let me state categorically that I don't just believe but know the Earth is round. I am not a flat earther.
The Earth is round. Ships going far into the distance disappear below the horizon due to the curvature of the Earth. Yes, correct.
What about aircraft? Why don't aircraft have to adjust their altitude to compensate for the curve?
Think of it this way: The ship is at sea level, or zero feet/meters altitude. It curves off over the horizon at sea level. An airplane flying along above that ship at 30,000 feet will be 30,000 above that ship at shore, 10 miles off the coast, the middle of the ocean, wherever that ship is, the plane is the same height above the ship because the plane's altitude is measured relative the sea level.

The gravity pulling on both the ship and the plane is centred at the core of the Earth.
Mostly Harmless is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 15:25
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: London
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by CAEBr View Post
I think you'll find that if you take off and head in any direction you'll eventually get back to Waddo, although granted dependent on the direction chosen you might not get the same "nice things" while doing so.!!
That's not true; it only works if you head East or West. If you head North, for instance, you'll get to the North Pole and find yourself unable to head North any further. At that point your only options are to stay where you are, or head South, which is clearly not the same direction because you were previously heading North.

More seriously, and back to the subject of aircraft instruments, why don't you need to adjust your artificial horizon as you fly around the globe? Even if you fly locally, why doesn't it drift at a rate of 15 degrees per hour as the Earth rotates?
pasta is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 15:26
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 415
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless View Post
Tl
The gravity pulling on both the ship and the plane is centred at the core of the Earth.
Also the ship and the plane are both pulling at the core of the earth, and at each other. This will affect both their courses.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 15:56
  #15 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 18
Originally Posted by ETOPS View Post
Because they fly at a constant altitude which over a short distance appears flat but in fact curves along with the surface of the globe.
So altitude (sky) effectively curves due to gravity?
munnst is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 16:03
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by munnst View Post
So altitude (sky) effectively curves due to gravity?
If you define the atmosphere as the sky, then yes.
Ninthace is online now  
Old 6th May 2021, 16:06
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: London
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by munnst View Post
So altitude (sky) effectively curves due to gravity?
Yes, because altitude is defined by the surface of the Earth. The surface of the Earth is curved because the Earth is approximately spherical. The Earth is approximately spherical due to gravity.
pasta is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 16:36
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: uk
Age: 64
Posts: 69
Are we talking QFE or QNH? Hahaha! Poles are "shifting" as we "speak" so... who cares? Probably that with all the recent volcanic activity all charts are now redundant anyway... As long as Sicily does not move too far away I'm happy.
alicopter is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 17:47
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 66
Posts: 926
Originally Posted by Geordie_Expat View Post
If the Earth was flat, cats would have shoved everything off the edge.
Nothing truer spoken!
stevef is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 18:27
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,125
If the Earth was curved, my wife would take something called a " Iron ' and flatten it.

I on the other hand would use a 'Iron' for a mid distance golf shot

However if the Earth was in fact Flat, Moutaineers would be redundant
Kiltrash is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.