Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

A level results up 12%

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

A level results up 12%

Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:32
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 8,075
A level results up 12%

Well done to all those teachers. You have all excelled this year by raising results by 12%.

Teacher-assessed grades will have to be hauled down by up to 12 percentage points this year so results are not “significantly undermined”.
https://feweek.co.uk/2020/07/21/ofqu...-hauling-down/
LTNman is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:43
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 21
Since the governmant closed down schools in March and said that "exam grades" would still be awarded, despite there being no exams, what else could have been done?

Last edited by 11277m; 18th Aug 2020 at 11:14.
11277m is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 10:46
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
Well done to all those teachers. You have all excelled this year by raising results by 12%.



https://feweek.co.uk/2020/07/21/ofqu...-hauling-down/
Is that you Gavin?

Silly post. A bit like the guy who moaned that the furlough scheme would have made Corbyn proud.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 12:28
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,045
Williams must have some 'Eminence Grise' guiding and supporting his political career, because in any other arena he's have been shoved out the door a few posts ago.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 15:16
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lemonia. Best Greek in the world
Posts: 1,686
From '65 through to 1982, less than 10% of A level students got A/A* equivalent.

It's now 38% in Borisworld.

Beware, Gavin Trumplonker in charge.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 15:20
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
A level results up 12% due to Government failure.

By Friday...

Minister : "This government promised to improve standards, and we have!"

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 15:54
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: heathrow
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
From '65 through to 1982, less than 10% of A level students got A/A* equivalent.

It's now 38% in Borisworld.

Beware, Gavin Trumplonker in charge.
But if you have a look at the historical figures, one of the periods in which there was the biggest step upwards is when Blair was in power (1997 to 2007)

https://www.alansmithers.com/reports/AL2014.pdf

747 jock is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 16:19
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
Originally Posted by 747 jock View Post
But if you have a look at the historical figures, one of the periods in which there was the biggest step upwards is when Blair was in power (1997 to 2007)
OR:
"But if you have a look at the historical figures...
... you can pinpoint exactly where the rot initially set in.

Alternative facts, innit.

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 17:01
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lemonia. Best Greek in the world
Posts: 1,686
Mrs T did a lot of things that UK plc needed.

(And don't go on about coal mining - Harold Wilson closed a lot more mines than Mrs T.)

Allowing A grades to go above 10% was not one of them. The educational establishment had their way with her.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 17:29
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
AO, I sense from your reply that whilst it WASN'T Maggie's fault, it WAS Blair's? More alt facts. Love it.
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 18:52
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,655
Looks like the rot set in, err educational standards started to improve, in 1984. Did George Orwell have anything to do with it?
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 19:55
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
Looks like the rot set in, err educational standards started to improve, in 1984. Did George Orwell have anything to do with it?
Maybe, but more likely GCSEs (86).

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 20:17
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,931
Agreed, the stroboscopic changes of plan have been embarrassing but the only reason an algorithm was needed was that teachers handed out unsupportably generous estimated grades. Gavin is responsible for the first of these issues but not the second.
ShotOne is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 20:26
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
Agreed, the stroboscopic changes of plan have been embarrassing but the only reason an algorithm was needed was that teachers handed out unsupportably generous estimated grades. Gavin is responsible for the first of these issues but not the second.
You mean the algorithm was formed after the results were in? WTF were the brains trust doing between mid-March and June then? Working out how not to upset the independent sector?
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 21:33
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sabotage Central Office
Posts: 0
This is going to create a huge problem for the universities when they realise they will have to teach the bright young things GCSE level English before they can even start on their degrees
Slaine is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 23:20
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Darkest Lincs
Posts: 484
Given the amount of debt students incur, in order to obtain degrees in dubious subjects such as Media Studies, I don't understand why so many 18 year olds are so worried about going to university.
If you want to be a doctor, teacher, chemist, etc, yes, of course you need a tertiary education. But the vast majority of 18 year olds would be better off in the short, and long term, by starting work now, rather than in three years time.
Obviously now is a somewhat difficult time, but will someone graduating in 2023 be any better off than someone of an equivalent age who enters the work environment now?
wowzz is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 23:39
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,929
Originally Posted by wowzz View Post
Obviously now is a somewhat difficult time, but will someone graduating in 2023 be any better off than someone of an equivalent age who enters the work environment now?
My daughter graduated a few years ago and walked into a graduate traineeship at Aldi of all places, at 39k and a company Audi A4. A school leaver joining Aldi with a-levels will still be on min wage in 2023. I'll wager that Aldi (and the others) will still be looking for grads in 2023 too. But I also take your point about underwater basket-weaving and media studies.

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Aug 2020, 23:59
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 65
Posts: 2,989
Originally Posted by wowzz View Post
Given the amount of debt students incur, in order to obtain degrees in dubious subjects such as Media Studies, I don't understand why so many 18 year olds are so worried about going to university.
If you want to be a doctor, teacher, chemist, etc, yes, of course you need a tertiary education. But the vast majority of 18 year olds would be better off in the short, and long term, by starting work now, rather than in three years time.
Obviously now is a somewhat difficult time, but will someone graduating in 2023 be any better off than someone of an equivalent age who enters the work environment now?
As a society, we've done a great disservice to the young generation by convincing them they need a college degree to be 'successful'. Probably half the kits that go to college would be far better off spending a year or two in a trade school or apprenticeship program - learning a useful trade that is unlikely to ever be outsourced (something tells me we'll never outsource auto repairs or building/repairing structures). Instead they are spending four years (or more), and tens of thousands of dollars/pounds getting a degree that basically qualifies them to flip burgers for a living. Hint: any major that has "Studies" in the title is nearly worthless in the real world - particularly at the undergrad level.
As for the latest round of grade inflation - after the pandemic hit and the schools went to remote learning, the Seattle school district announced that everyone would get either an "A" or "incomplete" - no other options. Worse, reports are than even though close to half the students failed to make even minimal effort at on-line learning, the number of "incomplete" was near zero - nearly everyone was given an "A" - in this case quite literally "given".
tdracer is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2020, 08:00
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by tdracer View Post
As a society, we've done a great disservice to the young generation by convincing them they need a college degree to be 'successful'. Probably half the kits that go to college would be far better off spending a year or two in a trade school or apprenticeship program - learning a useful trade that is unlikely to ever be outsourced (something tells me we'll never outsource auto repairs or building/repairing structures). Instead they are spending four years (or more), and tens of thousands of dollars/pounds getting a degree that basically qualifies them to flip burgers for a living. Hint: any major that has "Studies" in the title is nearly worthless in the real world - particularly at the undergrad level.
As for the latest round of grade inflation - after the pandemic hit and the schools went to remote learning, the Seattle school district announced that everyone would get either an "A" or "incomplete" - no other options. Worse, reports are than even though close to half the students failed to make even minimal effort at on-line learning, the number of "incomplete" was near zero - nearly everyone was given an "A" - in this case quite literally "given".
You're absolutely right.

All that the extra number of people who have a degrees entering the work force has achieved is "qualification inflation" in the jobs market. As a result companies are demanding new entrants to have degrees, not because the job requires a degree educated individual, but because they can raise the bar because of the sheer number of applicants holding degrees.

A prime example is the UK police service that apparently now looks for degree level entrants. Now you really have to ask what degree qould you need to be a "bobby on the beat" or a traffic officer? I would suggest the most important qualification would be a first from the "University of Common Sense", which most students leaving university would fail.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 19th Aug 2020, 08:34
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 144
They should just have allowed the teacher's estimates to stand. Then let them explain why 5 As couldn't get you in to a college course on media studies.
cdtaylor_nats is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.