Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

US Politics Hamsterwheel V3.0

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

US Politics Hamsterwheel V3.0

Old 13th Jul 2020, 06:59
  #1241 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
You get pretty petulant when I remind you that the US is the guaranteer of your nation’s freedom
While we’re being petulant, in the interests of accuracy, is the word you’re looking for “guarantor”?
De_flieger is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 08:11
  #1242 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 68
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
I’d just prefer you say thank you for the generous US security arrangement that keeps you free. That said, the free speech you enjoy because of said agreements is a pleasant reminder of why we extend the umbrella over you.
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're on repeat. Let me stop you once and for all on that issue.
I will never say thank you to the USoA for anything, except making a few good cars in the fifties and sixties.. Please don't ask me again. Thank you.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 09:26
  #1243 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,288
Once again we see an issue which ostensibly is one about immigration (and yet again downplaying the pandemic) being laughingly dressed up as one of concern for the finances of schools and colleges, as if those so enthusiastically backing it here really give a toss about these institutions. Its also intriguing how quickly some people leap on this issue - and the messaging around it. Its almost as though they're all reading from a script....
dead_pan is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:16
  #1244 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,858
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're on repeat. Let me stop you once and for all on that issue.
I will never say thank you to the USoA for anything, except making a few good cars in the fifties and sixties.. Please don't ask me again. Thank you.
Per
How childish.
West Coast is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:40
  #1245 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 68
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
How childish.
Thank you, I am at it. Keeps me young and in good health. You should give it a try.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:44
  #1246 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,858
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
Thank you, I am at it. Keeps me young and in good health. You should give it a try.
Per
If it keeps you young at heart, by all means, press on!
West Coast is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 10:50
  #1247 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,858
Originally Posted by wtsmg View Post
Imagine being this pretentious 😂

What a sad little man.

I’d love to see some daft seppo giving it the big one like this on the street in Aussie. The result starts with filled and ends with in.
You familiar with ANZUS wtsmg?

I admire the way Australia is standing up to China of recent regarding Covid. Comes with a price, seems you’re torquing Xi off mightily. The US will be there for our ally Australia should a war of words escalate.

West Coast is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 18:43
  #1248 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Vendee
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by neila83 View Post
It's fascinating to look at the UK's list of countries from which citizens can enter the UK without a quarantine. A lot of 'shithole' countries on the list. The USA is not. And it will be a long time before American citizens are allowed to enter Europe. I know some here will play macho about how they don't care about us European communists, but I imagine its rather harming the US that no-one wants their people anywhere near them. 60,000 cases a day. And there are people who don't care about their citizens dying, avoidably, because it doesn't suit their politics.

And yes, I know the UK has been an absolute disaster as well, we have an equally clueless government, not surprisingly the leaders of our two countries get on well. Electing sociopaths to keep your taxes low and prevent the lower classes from having a chance is all well and good, until there's a crisis in which you need someone competent. I'm in Mexico, also in a very bad way use the president is an idiot. And he's the far left so this isn't a political thing, And it shouldn't be. This crisis has only proved just how much people are willing to accept to support their guy. And it includes people dying.

I used to support the Mexican president. I don't anymore. There's nothing wrong or weak about admitting you were wrong about something. In fact it shows far more strength of character than refusing to budge even when the facts change, just for the sake of pride. I was wrong about the Mexican President.

Take a look at the countries worst affected, and who their leaders are. USA, Brazil, UK, Mexico. See anything in common? Is it complete coincidence? You genuinely believe noone could have done better? The type of government you have hasn't affected this pandemic? Do you even know how ludicrous that is? People willing to accept absolutely anything has been a factor in case and death rates, except for some reason, government. People are needlessly dying and some here, including one who claims to be a doctor, don't care because defending one guy, who couldn't give a fig about them, is more important. Can you imagine the things Trump says in private about the average American like our friends here who so tirelessly defend him? We all know people in terrible relationships with someone who treats them awfully but they refuse to accept reality and will defend their partner come what may.. That's Trump supporters.I actually almost feel sorry for them, except for them enabling people dying.
Well said and well crafted Neila. At some point, irrespective of one's political loyalties, the citizenry seeks competence in solving the problem--or at least pointing in the direction of a solution.

Last edited by Uncle Fred; 13th Jul 2020 at 18:56.
Uncle Fred is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 20:23
  #1249 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Looking for the signals square at LHR
Posts: 236
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
You familiar with ANZUS wtsmg?

I admire the way Australia is standing up to China of recent regarding Covid. Comes with a price, seems you’re torquing Xi off mightily. The US will be there for our ally Australia should a war of words escalate.
West Coast - you are not doing your cause any good by responding to silly provocations. This is a pity because your cause is sound.

There are many countries, mostly European, willing to shelter under the US umbrella but at the same time avoid the mentioning of any indebtedness to US policy. There was panic when The Donald quietly suggested that these countries should shoulder a greater level of their own defence burden, like actually contributing the agreed 2% GDP to which they long have been committed. Frankly, I think it utterly shameful that those nations which have prospered as a result of the Marshall Plan and other acts of American beneficence not only fail to acknowledge the debt but engage in actions not necessarily supportive of the American position. By all means disagree with aspects of foreign policy in a diplomatic manner but biting the hand that feeds you is neither honourable nor sensible.

Should the safety of the NATO umbrella be withdrawn - unlikely but quite possible - the charge on the US taxpayer who makes all this possible will be greatly reduced. As a reluctant contributor to Uncle's coffers and in all-too-regular correspondence with the IRS, I shall be pleased. But as a recipient of Uncle's protection, I shall be worried.

Gipsy Queen is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 20:26
  #1250 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle America
Age: 82
Posts: 1,167
COVID-19 Parties

If going to a party at all seems like a bad idea these days, going to one in which attendees try to contract the coronavirus proved a fatal one for a Texas man. The 30-year-old man went to a "COVID party"—one hosted by someone known to have tested positive for the coronavirus. "The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected," says Dr. Jane Appleby, the chief medical officer at Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital in San Antonio, where the patient died this week. The man's tragic last words, per ABC News: "I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it's not.

I wonder where he got the idea that COVID-19 was a hoax? Any ideas?
Turbine D is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 20:33
  #1251 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by neila83 View Post
It's fascinating to look at the UK's list of countries from which citizens can enter the UK without a quarantine. A lot of 'shithole' countries on the list. The USA is not. And it will be a long time before American citizens are allowed to enter Europe. I know some here will play macho about how they don't care about us European communists, but I imagine its rather harming the US that no-one wants their people anywhere near them. 60,000 cases a day. And there are people who don't care about their citizens dying, avoidably, because it doesn't suit their politics.

And yes, I know the UK has been an absolute disaster as well, we have an equally clueless government, not surprisingly the leaders of our two countries get on well. Electing sociopaths to keep your taxes low and prevent the lower classes from having a chance is all well and good, until there's a crisis in which you need someone competent. I'm in Mexico, also in a very bad way use the president is an idiot. And he's the far left so this isn't a political thing, And it shouldn't be. This crisis has only proved just how much people are willing to accept to support their guy. And it includes people dying.

I used to support the Mexican president. I don't anymore. There's nothing wrong or weak about admitting you were wrong about something. In fact it shows far more strength of character than refusing to budge even when the facts change, just for the sake of pride. I was wrong about the Mexican President.

Take a look at the countries worst affected, and who their leaders are. USA, Brazil, UK, Mexico. See anything in common? Is it complete coincidence? You genuinely believe noone could have done better? The type of government you have hasn't affected this pandemic? Do you even know how ludicrous that is? People willing to accept absolutely anything has been a factor in case and death rates, except for some reason, government. People are needlessly dying and some here, including one who claims to be a doctor, don't care because defending one guy, who couldn't give a fig about them, is more important. Can you imagine the things Trump says in private about the average American like our friends here who so tirelessly defend him? We all know people in terrible relationships with someone who treats them awfully but they refuse to accept reality and will defend their partner come what may.. That's Trump supporters.I actually almost feel sorry for them, except for them enabling people dying.
You are beating the same horse again, by blaming Trump and his administration response.

Obviously Trump is not a medical expert any more than his medical team an expert in running a country. It's also a learned fact that the public fixates on saving their life today and shifting any excess risk to the future (The cro magnum man runs from the tiger he's hunting)
But somebody needs to analyse the risk today from real facts and not just what-ifs, and then to balance it against the size of the risk they push downstream (cro magnum man's family starves to death). What we never hear in the liberal news is how much run-on risk is being pushed downstream.

It's time to stop getting all pent up watching tv news with their selective interviews to prove a point, and instead ask questions, that even if unanswered show you how subjective the fact-guesses are to begin with.
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 22:21
  #1252 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,307
Is "cro magnum man" a cro-magnon man with a side-arm filled with over-length rounds, or a prehistoric man with a choc-ice that is the shape of 75% of a black bird?

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2020, 23:15
  #1253 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 44
"When you do more testing you create more cases". So, testing creates Corona infections?
Brakes on is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 00:12
  #1254 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 44
[QUOTE=Gipsy Queen;10836328...when The Donald quietly suggested that these countries should shoulder a greater level of their own defence burden, like actually contributing the agreed 2% GDP to which they long have been committed.[/QUOTE]
Another one who fell prey to trump's lies or didn't look into the matter.
The truth: Beyond the direct budget, NATO came to an agreement in 2014 that each member state will increase their own defense spending to 2% of their respective gross domestic product by 2024.
And 'quietly suggested' is got to be the understatement of the year.
Brakes on is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 16:13
  #1255 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle America
Age: 82
Posts: 1,167
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
It's time to stop getting all pent up watching tv news with their selective interviews to prove a point, and instead ask questions, that even if unanswered show you how subjective the fact-guesses are to begin with.
Loma, Best place to begin is close to home. Now here is a Florida gentleman who asked a question after voting no on mask wearing, "What is the best mask to wear into buildings?" Maybe if he would have just worn a mask to begin with this may not have happened:
A Florida county commissioner named Paul Waldron — who previously voted against a mandate requiring people to wear masks — recently contracted the coronavirus and is now in the hospital in critical condition. Waldron was initially in the “most critical of conditions” after experiencing septic shock, his condition is said to be slowly improving. Still, the coronavirus has wreaked havoc on a number of his organs.
All told, Florida has now seen close to 270,000 coronavirus cases.To put that figure into context, Florida now has more coronavirus cases than Italy.
Turbine D is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 16:52
  #1256 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 68
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by Brakes on View Post
Another one who fell prey to trump's lies or didn't look into the matter.
The truth: Beyond the direct budget, NATO came to an agreement in 2014 that each member state will increase their own defense spending to 2% of their respective gross domestic product by 2024.
And 'quietly suggested' is got to be the understatement of the year.
And then there's that small matter of what are they spending the money on.
Higher wages for officers? Good for them, but..
Substituting a wrecked frigate with a new one. Hardly increases defense capabilities.
Building a wall on the US/Mexico border. No comment.
Etc.
Smoke and mirrors.
​​​​​​​Per

Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 21:17
  #1257 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 62
Posts: 5,831
It will soon not matter, since California will be shaken hard and dumped into the sea.
https://twitter.com/i/events/1282710923401035777?s=20

New study suggests the chance of a big San Andreas quake has tripled
Out of the many faults in California, the San Andreas is singularly poised to be the one that unleashes a megaquake in our lifetime.
The study, published in the Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, says there is now a 2.3% chance of an earthquake of magnitude 7.5 or greater in the next 12 months on a section of the 160-mile-long Garlock fault.
Well crap, 7.5 won't knock it into the ocean. Needs one a lot bigger than that.
Too bad. Such a shake would require some kind of reshuffling in Congress, given the substantial population in the greater LA area.
The knives would come out; might want to get the popcorn started anyway.

Me, I'm hoping for that caldera under Yellowstone to blow.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 21:59
  #1258 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yakima
Posts: 171
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
Well crap, 7.5 won't knock it into the ocean. Needs one a lot bigger than that.
Yeah, 7.5 is nothing. Now give me a good 9.0 ten minute shaker... . I once (and will never again) worked in Brea, California while doing B-2 bomber composite contract work (sorry about the aviation content) and never want to go back. The thing that impressed me about the LA area was its utter dependence on canal supplied water. If there was a big one I can readily see the canal system badly damaged and that whole area would die pretty quickly. I was so glad to get back to the Seattle area and our nice long misty rains.........
Winemaker is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 23:11
  #1259 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,113
California politics was once described as a war between those who think it a tragic waste if any flowing water reaches the ocean - and those who think it a tragic waste if any flowing water doesn't reach the ocean.
pattern_is_full is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2020, 23:18
  #1260 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yakima
Posts: 171
Posted without comment. Darwin in action. From the Washington Post:

Rep. H. Morgan Griffith, a Virginia Republican and Freedom Caucus member who days ago urged schools to reopen in the fall, announced Tuesday that he has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The news was posted on Griffith’s Twitter account.

“Congressman Morgan Griffith (R-VA) today was informed that he tested positive for COVID-19,” the tweet said. “Upon developing possible symptoms, he took the test over the weekend and has since been self-isolating. Although he does not currently have significant symptoms, he will continue to self-isolate as he performs his duties on behalf of Virginia’s Ninth Congressional District.”

Griffith, who has represented the rural southwestern Virginia district since 2011, said he was feeling fine, speaking in a brief phone interview Tuesday afternoon while he was monitoring a committee hearing.

“The quote stands for itself. I’m fine,” he said. “I don’t feel bad.”

On Thursday, Griffith stood in the middle of a group of fellow Freedom Caucus members at a news conference outside the Capitol as they called for schools to reopen. Griffith, standing shoulder to shoulder with the others, wore a pink mask but removed it while speaking. Others in the group were maskless.
Also of interest, Pence was due to meet with the Attorney General of Louisiana today but the meeting had to be cancelled because the gentlemen, Jeff Landry, tested postitive prior to the meeting. They're sure not cutting back on testing for the bigwigs' safety.....
Winemaker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.