Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Public Service

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Public Service

Old 29th Nov 2019, 17:30
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 418
Public Service

I was about to comment in the Andrew thread but this is a bit off topic so:

Who the f**k would be in any sort of high profile public service these days. Make a comment, tell a joke of just be near where something happened and twenty years later it will be dragged up, you will be shaken like a rag doll in a pit bull's jaws and summarily ripped apart till you can't feel your toes before being discarded and sent to outer darkness by the 'me too', permanently outraged, it is' only our public duty' crowd.

And if you live a blameless life you can by guilty by association or changing standards so don't think you are safe if you were, twenty years ago, a perfect saint.

Soon enough anonymity will be everything.
ChrisVJ is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 17:39
  #2 (permalink)  
Paid...Persona Grata
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Between BHX and EMA
Age: 73
Posts: 236
Sad but true, fully concur.
UniFoxOs is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 18:08
  #3 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,613
Ah, but Facebook, Inst agram , Twitter and WhatsApp will get you.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 18:51
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 480
Originally Posted by ChrisVJ View Post
I was about to comment in the Andrew thread but this is a bit off topic so:

... and twenty years later it will be dragged up, you will be shaken like a rag doll in a pit bull's jaws and summarily ripped apart till you can't feel your toes before being discarded and sent to outer darkness by the 'me too', permanently outraged, it is' only our public duty' crowd.

And if you live a blameless life you can by guilty by association or changing standards so don't think you are safe if you were, twenty years ago, a perfect saint..
Poor old Andy! The sensitive, vulnerable little dear being "shaken like a rag doll in a pit bull's jaws and summarily ripped apart" by that big brute Emily on TV. How very dreadful that he was forced - against his will and better judgement - to appear on TV like that. When all he'd done was stay with a convicted sex offender "for convenience, to say goodbye only", and be snapped with his arm around a young girl's waist - that nasty temptress! How dare these scandalous details be raked up twenty years later. How dare they do that to one!

A truly blameless life. My heart bleeds for the poor mite, and all the horrible shaking the precious little rag doll has to endure in the line of duty. And worse, the pitiful prince couldn't even sweat about it!

I'm sure he's found plenty to sweat about now, the "perfect saint" indeed!
pilotmike is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 19:26
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
Poor old Andy! The sensitive, vulnerable little dear being "shaken like a rag doll in a pit bull's jaws and summarily ripped apart" by that big brute Emily on TV. How very dreadful that he was forced - against his will and better judgement - to appear on TV like that. When all he'd done was stay with a convicted sex offender "for convenience, to say goodbye only", and be snapped with his arm around a young girl's waist - that nasty temptress! How dare these scandalous details be raked up twenty years later. How dare they do that to one!

A truly blameless life. My heart bleeds for the poor mite, and all the horrible shaking the precious little rag doll has to endure in the line of duty. And worse, the pitiful prince couldn't even sweat about it!

I'm sure he's found plenty to sweat about now, the "perfect saint" indeed!
I don't believe the OP was in any way defending Prince Andrew. The point was that moments of sometimes adolescent stupidity, and the previous opening of mouth or web posting before full engagement of brains, no matter when they occurred, now render a job in public service pretty well impossible. It's a sad, but lamentable fact of today's social media and professionally offended age.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 19:26
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,823
The OP made the point it wasn't about Andrew.

Oops, too slow
charliegolf is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 19:28
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by charliegolf View Post
The OP made the point it wasn't about Andrew.

Oops, too slow
It was a darn close run thing!!!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 20:09
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Do I come here often?
Posts: 886
The OP made a very good point. I’m so glad I’m not a “public person” some of my youthful antics would make colourful reading in the Sunday Mirror!

SND
Sir Niall Dementia is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 23:01
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Out in the sticks in DE56
Age: 81
Posts: 543
There's a wider point here, though, for anyone who, high or low, has dealings with the public. I'm personally grateful that no-one has ever made accusations against me - either of financial fiddling or choirboy-diddling or what have you. I know that I've led a pretty clean life, and like to think that most people (including you, my friends) believe this too. But (a) some would say I've never been found out, and (b) others might say ' that's up to now'.
But think of people some in the news recently (and I know of a few 'ordinary' people, too) who have had accusations levelled against them.

Immediate suspension from their professional life. If clergy like me, being pretty-much forced (tied house) to live in the community in which the offence alleged to take place, with the knowledge that whispers will be going round the community. A wait of up to a year, or more, whilst investigations are being carried out. Then, even if cleared the knowledge that one will for ever be tainted: "isn't that the bloke who..."

It's unforgiveable when someone in a position of trust abuses this trust. But it only takes one malicious person's accusation, and it's "no smoke without fire" and away you go!
jimtherev is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 02:31
  #10 (permalink)  

Shining Example, apparently...
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lone Star State
Age: 46
Posts: 287
Seems to have been the case in politics for some years now - anyone of noble motivation is flushed out at an early stage. To pursue a senior role of any political affiliation is to knowingly subject yourself and family to countless years of intimidation, persecution, discrimination, threats and actual violence. Surely this is why we've seen some remarkable candidates for high office, from both leading parties, on both sides of the Atlantic...
Crepello is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:08
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,763
The OP made a very good point. I’m so glad I’m not a “public person” some of my youthful antics would make colourful reading in the Sunday Mirror!
I'm jealous Sir Niall - looking back on my rather uneventful life I find I have done little that would interest the Sunday Mirror

Mind you, there's still time. I'm nobbut a lad yet
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:37
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 835
You do not need to be a public figure.

Just male.

currawong is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 01:02
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,763
The actress in question has to the best of my knowledge still never been named. As a regular "Archers" listener all I can say is that the character she played on that radio programme has been quietly dropped, although for a while the character was still referred to, without her actually being heard. I suppose the only justification for her continued anonymity is that she is quite obviously mentally unbalanced. This case took place while the former head of the CPS, Alison Saunders, was still in post. Her tenure was characterised by numerous instances of controversy over cases of a sexual nature.
On 29 December 2018 The Telegraph reported that Alison Saunders will be "the first former head of the Crown Prosecution Service not to receive a senior honour after her tenure was marked by a series of scandals". (All of her predecessors "became a knight or a dame either during their tenure, or immediately after their departure.") A week after she stepped down as head of the CPS, it was announced that the CPS had agreed to a five-figure settlement with broadcaster Paul Gambaccini, who was arrested as part of Operation Yewtree and bailed repeatedly for a year over unfounded sex charges before being told he would not be charged. Samuel Armstrong, a former Conservative MP's chief of staff who was acquitted of rape, said the settlement was a "damning indictment" that "should act as the final nail in the coffin for her hopes of a damehood." He added: "Saunders' one-woman crusade to shift the scales of justice in sex cases not only ruined the lives of dozens of young men but of Paul Gambaccini as well."

(Wikipedia)
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 12:30
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by ChrisVJ View Post
I was about to comment in the Andrew thread but this is a bit off topic so:

Who the f**k would be in any sort of high profile public service these days. Make a comment, tell a joke of just be near where something happened and twenty years later it will be dragged up, you will be shaken like a rag doll in a pit bull's jaws and summarily ripped apart till you can't feel your toes before being discarded and sent to outer darkness by the 'me too', permanently outraged, it is' only our public duty' crowd.

And if you live a blameless life you can by guilty by association or changing standards so don't think you are safe if you were, twenty years ago, a perfect saint.

Soon enough anonymity will be everything.
I believe you are correct.

There are times though when comments that are brought up are not necessarily that old. It can appear that people are just two faced and will change their public image to gain office.
The Nip is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 15:14
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wherever someone will pay me to do fun stuff
Posts: 1,112
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
I suppose the only justification for her continued anonymity is that she is quite obviously mentally unbalanced.
And, once again, the accuser has anonymity but the accused is in full public view. Court cases should be public but, in my view, if one party is given or entitled to anonymity for some reason, then this should apply equally to the other party (or parties) involved.

PS - Do tell - which Archers character has been quietly dropped? Although a fairly regular listener in the past, more recently my listening has been reduced because I struggle with all of the new characters that appear for a while and then are never heard from again, and plotlines that lead to nothing or lack credibility in a 'a contemporary drama in a rural setting' as it is billed.
LookingForAJob is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 15:24
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: UK
Age: 62
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Sir Niall Dementia View Post
The OP made a very good point. I’m so glad I’m not a “public person” some of my youthful antics would make colourful reading in the Sunday Mirror!

SND

Except in your day,Sir Niall, and with all due respect to someone of your vintage, mobile phones had not yet been invented to capture such goings on when you were that young as to have been a miscreant.

golfbananajam is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 16:00
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 247
I believe the Archers character that has been eased out was a solicitor with a non-Anglo Saxon name.

I also stopped listening when it transformed from being an everyday story about country folk into Eastenders with farmyard smells.
k3k3 is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 16:09
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 77
There is quite a witch hunt culture - even if you’re not in the public eye.

I’ve led a pretty boring, law abiding life. Had my moments as a youngster but nothing that would be of any interest to Red Top readers.

However, myself and Mrs BBE disagreed with a social worker with regard to my MIL’s care. Long story but she had been hospitalised for the third time in three months and we believed the time had come for her to go into a care home. Unfortunately, the SW decided she had full mental capacity and because MIL kept saying she wanted to go home, the decision was taken out of our hands. Mr SW wouldn’t even discuss it with us and listen to our side of the story - despite the fact that we did most of her caring and knew her better than anyone else.

Surprise, surprise, within days of MIL discharge from hospital, she was in dire straights again. Falling, unable to care for herself, her ringing us day and night over some imagined incidents, paramedics called etc etc. Eventually, we got to speak to a different SW who agreed care in her own house wasn’t working at all and it was an accident waiting to happen.

Because of several snide comments made and the fact that whenever we visited MIL in hospital, we always seemed to have a nurse shadowing us, I requested, under FOI, a copy of the original SW’s report. It was a catalogue of lies and suppositions. He allegedly had heard us putting pressure on her for financial reasons - if that we were so motivated by money, we certainly wouldn’t be encouraging her to go into a care home costing £6500 a month! He reported that we were seen to be aggressive to her and ignored her when she was talking to us. That we’d threatened her by telling her we were going to sell her house if she didn’t comply. I was truly appalled that such blatant lies could be written about us as a couple - especially when we were desperately trying to do the right thing but had simply challenged his authority.

We both went through the report with a fine tooth comb and amended everything with our version of events. Unfortunately, the authorities wouldn’t agree to change anything but said a note would be put in file acknowledging we had challenged it. I’m still stunned that this sort of thing can happen in a supposedly open society. I certainly wouldn’t ever allow social services anywhere near myself or my family again and have actually put it in writing that I only wish my family to make decisions about any future welfare decisions should I be unable to make them.
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2019, 17:16
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,823
Originally Posted by BehindBlueEyes View Post
There is quite a witch hunt culture - even if you’re not in the public eye.

I’ve led a pretty boring, law abiding life. Had my moments as a youngster but nothing that would be of any interest to Red Top readers.

However, myself and Mrs BBE disagreed with a social worker with regard to my MIL’s care. Long story but she had been hospitalised for the third time in three months and we believed the time had come for her to go into a care home. Unfortunately, the SW decided she had full mental capacity and because MIL kept saying she wanted to go home, the decision was taken out of our hands. Mr SW wouldn’t even discuss it with us and listen to our side of the story - despite the fact that we did most of her caring and knew her better than anyone else.

Surprise, surprise, within days of MIL discharge from hospital, she was in dire straights again. Falling, unable to care for herself, her ringing us day and night over some imagined incidents, paramedics called etc etc. Eventually, we got to speak to a different SW who agreed care in her own house wasn’t working at all and it was an accident waiting to happen.

Because of several snide comments made and the fact that whenever we visited MIL in hospital, we always seemed to have a nurse shadowing us, I requested, under FOI, a copy of the original SW’s report. It was a catalogue of lies and suppositions. He allegedly had heard us putting pressure on her for financial reasons - if that we were so motivated by money, we certainly wouldn’t be encouraging her to go into a care home costing £6500 a month! He reported that we were seen to be aggressive to her and ignored her when she was talking to us. That we’d threatened her by telling her we were going to sell her house if she didn’t comply. I was truly appalled that such blatant lies could be written about us as a couple - especially when we were desperately trying to do the right thing but had simply challenged his authority.

We both went through the report with a fine tooth comb and amended everything with our version of events. Unfortunately, the authorities wouldn’t agree to change anything but said a note would be put in file acknowledging we had challenged it. I’m still stunned that this sort of thing can happen in a supposedly open society. I certainly wouldn’t ever allow social services anywhere near myself or my family again and have actually put it in writing that I only wish my family to make decisions about any future welfare decisions should I be unable to make them.
Hence the origin of the bumper sticker: Save a Child- Kill a Social Worker.

CG

PS anyone who wants to be outraged by what they see as inflammatory use of language, or inciting violence- get out more!
charliegolf is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 01:13
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,763
I believe the Archers character that has been eased out was a solicitor with a non-Anglo Saxon name
.

That's the one. I understand the lady in question also appears in Game of Thrones, but as I don't watch the programme (I am over 14) I can't confirm that she is still in it.
Tankertrashnav is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.