Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Greenland For Sale

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Greenland For Sale

Old 21st Aug 2019, 02:24
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 65
Posts: 59
"US President Donald Trump has cancelled a state visit to Denmark after the nation's prime minister said Greenland was not for sale to the US.
The president was scheduled to visit on 2 September, at the invitation of Denmark's Queen Margrethe II." bbc

How rude.
meadowrun is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 05:08
  #42 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 941
The jetstream has just moved in relation to the UK............personally, I thunk this was caused by the collective sighs of relief from the Danes, rather than any of that complicated met.stuff , at the news his petulance will be staying in Washington now....... ". # loser pastries eaters ! "

Greenland was always a glacier too far.....he's still coming to terms with his new Protectorate after all.......formerly known as the UK...How long does it take to become a fully accredited State just out of interest ?

Anyway, as rednecks were mentioned, I am pleased to say Alabama is not their exclusive preserve ......because the UK has a well established enclave in this respect...called Essex
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 06:25
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Anyway, as rednecks were mentioned, I am pleased to say Alabama is not their exclusive preserve ......because the UK has a well established enclave in this respect...called Essex
More of a Thames Estuary corridor, both north and south, to be honest
Snyggapa is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 15:30
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 645
Boeing is going to buy Greenland and store uncompleted 737 MAXs there.
EEngr is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 15:54
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 16,636
Can we part ex Northern Ireland, it will solve a lot of issues.
NutLoose is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 16:06
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ESSEX
Posts: 254
Wait till this weekend. A sunny bank holiday and half of east London decamps to the estuary. It’s gonna be carnage
SARF is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 16:18
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 372
Originally Posted by meadowrun View Post
"US President Donald Trump has cancelled a state visit to Denmark after the nation's prime minister said Greenland was not for sale to the US.
The president was scheduled to visit on 2 September, at the invitation of Denmark's Queen Margrethe II." bbc

How rude.
I thought at first that the "buy Greenland" thing was just a joke, some sort of flippant, off-the-cuff, remark, made in jest.

Just goes to show that one should never underestimate the crass nature of Trump, it seems the guy was serious about just buying a bit of another country.

VP959 is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 16:41
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
I thought at first that the "buy Greenland" thing was just a joke, some sort of flippant, off-the-cuff, remark, made in jest.

Just goes to show that one should never underestimate the crass nature of Trump, it seems the guy was serious about just buying a bit of another country.
And now he's seriously pissed of by the Danish PM not saying just no, she probably used too many words Trumpolini to comprehend.
Americans must be mighty proud of their sulking manchild president. Over here most of us are shaking our heads, and sniggering a little bit.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 16:41
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,273
To be fair it makes logical sense.

Greenland sitting on lots of rare earth metals, also has coastline stretching into the Artic that would allow access to sea route to Asia.

Proposal is not as daft as it appears.
racedo is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 16:53
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
To be fair it makes logical sense.

Greenland sitting on lots of rare earth metals, also has coastline stretching into the Artic that would allow access to sea route to Asia.

Proposal is not as daft as it appears.
If it was for sale, which it rather clearly wasn't.
Be that as it may, but it is Trump's reaction to being snubbed that creates headlines here.
He asked, or begged the Danish Queen for an invitation, which he got. Then he was turned down on his bid for Greenland, threw a tantrum, cancelled the visit and left all plans and preparations high and dry. Way to create friends and allies. I bet the Danes would very much like to see him in the near future.
By the way, the Chinese are doing very well, at Greenland.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 17:29
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 614
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
If it was for sale, which it rather clearly wasn't.
Be that as it may, but it is Trump's reaction to being snubbed that creates headlines here.
He asked, or begged the Danish Queen for an invitation, which he got. Then he was turned down on his bid for Greenland, threw a tantrum, cancelled the visit and left all plans and preparations high and dry. Way to create friends and allies. I bet the Danes would very much like to see him in the near future.
Acrually puts a lot of egg on the face of MAGA types. Their “big, brave, tough leader” (who wasn’t like the weakling Obama) threw a tantrum when he couldn’t get his way. How cowardly, the opposite of the tough guy image his supporters like to portray. Maybe because he couldn’t handle being told what to do by a female?

By the way, the Chinese are doing very well, at Greenland.
Per
Denmark should troll Trump and say they are considering an offer from China to buy it!
dr dre is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 22:24
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 533
He'd also like to have a crack at the Antarctic but to do that, he'd need to abrogate a number of international agreements.
And we know how he hates to do that.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 22:29
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,273
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
If it was for sale, which it rather clearly wasn't.
So he went for sale and it is not for sale. Not the first time rebuffed when buying a property.

Next it will be for Long Term 200 year lease.

This was only first part in negotiations.
racedo is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 23:27
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 604
Are Danes so thin skinned that they get all wedgy when a guy like Trump, who they basically dislike anyway, says he's not going to come and visit?
obgraham is offline  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 23:48
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 65
Posts: 59
I would dislike it when people waste my time and money and then offer insults.
The Danes are a very nice people. I think you can buy their tinned biscuits in every country in the world.

Coming next, tariffs on Danish butter biscuits and cheeses of colour. Pity that parrot was Norwegian, he could have slapped one on them as well.
trump makes it up as he goes along with the attention span of a gnat.

Last edited by meadowrun; 21st Aug 2019 at 23:59.
meadowrun is online now  
Old 21st Aug 2019, 23:53
  #56 (permalink)  
See and avoid
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 504
Now Trump says he doesn't like the sarcastic tone used by the gal in Denmark, and that justifies him blowing her off.
visibility3miles is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 00:38
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by visibility3miles View Post
Now Trump says he doesn't like the sarcastic tone used by the gal in Denmark, and that justifies him blowing her off.
Statesman ---------------- Politician ---------------------- Charlatan

Take your pick! You can even have two.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 03:16
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay area, CA USA
Posts: 255
Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Trump picking fights with allies and praising autocrats.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...NzA3NzQ0Mzk0S0
jack11111 is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 05:35
  #59 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 941
The nice lady who runs Denmark should pour herself a large glass of whatever she really enjoys to celebrate the ultimate accolade ....being termed "nasty " .....this being the preferred term for any lady in politics who incurs the wrath of, and a Mr Mourhino may dispute this as he's already laid claim to the title......."The Chosen One " .
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 06:02
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
To be fair it makes logical sense.

Greenland sitting on lots of rare earth metals.....

Proposal is not as daft as it appears.
Yep. Plus the US currently gets most of those rare-earth metals from....China*. Who could shut off the supply at some point (and is also contracting to control the supplies from Africa, as well, as part of the Belt and Road initiative). Important materials for electronics, esp. computers and weapons systems.

So not automatically a bad idea - just better handled by discreet negotiations, rather than the Blowhard-In-Chief speaking out of his navel. El Trumpo may have scotched the deal just by being an arse.
____________________
*well, back in the pre-trade-war era, it seemed like a stable source, and a good idea.
pattern_is_full is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.