Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Borris next PM?

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Borris next PM?

Old 30th Jun 2019, 14:18
  #821 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
John Smith, the best PM Labour never had, climbed Munros for a hobby.
Unfortunately that didn't stop him from dying of a heart attack. If he had survived we wouldn't have had Blair as a PM..
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 14:56
  #822 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Originally Posted by 419 View Post
But surely if you don't appear to be be fit to do the job (whether you actually are fit or not), people are going to start asking questions..
I don't know if you know, but Churchill had several strokes but it was kept secret, even from the Queen. Eden has gall bladder pain and kept that secret as long as he could. Wilson also had issues but resigned so suddenly that it caught most by surprise.

The US take the Presidents' lives so seriously that their fitness is examined in detail even before they take office.

The very rumour of ill health or incapacity can shake markets and create unrest. I was in India when one night rumours swept the State, I was rushed home, shops were shut and boarded and citizens fled the streets. The Chief Minister had to make a broadcast to prove he was alive and well.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 15:26
  #823 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,889
Did anyone see this alleged leak reported anywhere in the media prior to the torrent of noisy refutations? I certainly didnít. And complaints of politicisation of the civil service ring pretty hollow coming from Labour (see T Blair/A Campbell for details)
ShotOne is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 15:56
  #824 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
The Nip, Of course that is not what I said. I didn't believe Gideon either, consequently I didn't cast a vote. Now I can see that the more serious lies were on the leave wing I would vote Renain.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 18:31
  #825 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 96
Shotone

Originally reported in the times behind a paywall, but verified here,

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...n-is-too-frail

IG
Imagegear is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 18:56
  #826 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,206
Hey Ho and here we go! Lose the argument so change the subject? BV FED et al - I have NO idea what non-Leave voters did or didn't do , and, frankly, couldn't care less. The point I am making , and which is irrefutable, is that the 65 million ,or so, citizens of the UK are being railroaded into a future , for which they DID NOT VOTE, by 17.4 million ONLY of the total. If you feel that those figures are disputable, please enlighten me. If you feel that the wishes of less than 29% of the population have an inalienable right of precedence please explain how this equates with "a political or social unit governed ultimately by ALL (my emphasis) its members" cf Collins English Dictionary, Millenium Edition. definition of Democracy. Alternatively, just accept that you are trying to monstrously screw the system and, additionally, install a socially and politically inept buffoon into a position of authority where he could do inestimable damage. Even the supposed 'choice' is problematical - slimy (according to PN) or slobbish by public demonstration . Slime or Slob - nice and catchy but what an offering!
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 19:19
  #827 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 524
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
Hey Ho and here we go! Lose the argument so change the subject? BV FED et al - I have NO idea what non-Leave voters did or didn't do , and, frankly, couldn't care less. The point I am making , and which is irrefutable, is that the 65 million ,or so, citizens of the UK are being railroaded into a future , for which they DID NOT VOTE, by 17.4 million ONLY of the total. If you feel that those figures are disputable, please enlighten me. If you feel that the wishes of less than 29% of the population have an inalienable right of precedence please explain how this equates with "a political or social unit governed ultimately by ALL (my emphasis) its members" cf Collins English Dictionary, Millenium Edition. definition of Democracy. Alternatively, just accept that you are trying to monstrously screw the system and, additionally, install a socially and politically inept buffoon into a position of authority where he could do inestimable damage. Even the supposed 'choice' is problematical - slimy (according to PN) or slobbish by public demonstration . Slime or Slob - nice and catchy but what an offering!

Quite a rant there CJ. The answer to your question though is simple; insufficient Remainers cast their vote when given the opportunity to do so. Those were the rules of the referendum as set by both the electoral commission and parliament.
As for your child like view of what's fair or not you could consider your own logic. As I see it, by your argument, democracy can only be said to be enacted if 100% of the population vote. Then any response of 50%+1 is a democratic decision. Do you see a flaw in that, because I and, I suspect, most other adults do.
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 19:19
  #828 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 53
Posts: 811
Despite the frequent pictures of him jogging in dodgy shorts, if someone with no interest in politics (and hence no conscious or unconscious bias) looked at pictures of Boris and Corbyn, although Corbyn is visibly older, I’m not sure it’s him you would think would be most likely to have a sudden heart attack.

Regardless of politics, I would hope that both men have many more years of good health ahead of them.
Curious Pax is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 19:45
  #829 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 75
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
John Smith, the best PM Labour never had, climbed Munros for a hobby.
Unfortunately that didn't stop him from dying of a heart attack.
I had two work-colleagues of identical ages.
One was a couch potato who lunched on pies and beer whilst the other played the squash ladder every lunchtime.
The former used to say "Whenever I feel like exercising, I lie down until I feel better."
The squash player didn't live to age 60, whilst the other is approaching age 80.
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 20:06
  #830 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,924
Well thatís another 10% on Boris share of the party vote then......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-brexit-policy
ORAC is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 20:36
  #831 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,206
H Q - some quite extraordinary (and false) manipulation of my 'rant' there! Being a child I find it essential to stick to the FACTS. The definition of Democracy is not mine (as I indicated). I have previously asked if any of the Leave brigade could provide such a definition and failed to get an answer, That being so I have used what seems to be an authoritative source unless you know differently, of course. So, 17.4 million is what percentage of 65 million? Even the 'Departers' Darling', given enough time for Nanny to tuck his shirt in, could, possibly, manage the mathmatics. What useful social skills DOES Eton provide?
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 20:46
  #832 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
Even the supposed 'choice' is problematical - slimy (according to PN) or slobbish by public demonstration !
I told you before, I made no such statement.

Please correct your post and apologise.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 20:46
  #833 (permalink)  
419
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: London
Posts: 396
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
So, 17.4 million is what percentage of 65 million?
It's 26.7% which is higher than 16.1% of 65 million so by any logic, the 17.4 million who voted leave won the democratic referendum, something that is also a FACT.
419 is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 20:56
  #834 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
Quite a rant there CJ. The answer to your question though is simple; insufficient Remainers cast their vote when given the opportunity to do so. Those were the rules of the referendum as set by both the electoral commission and parliament.
As for your child like view of what's fair or not you could consider your own logic. As I see it, by your argument, democracy can only be said to be enacted if 100% of the population vote. Then any response of 50%+1 is a democratic decision. Do you see a flaw in that, because I and, I suspect, most other adults do.
But millions were denied a vote despite having residency here for years, paying their taxes and it directly impacting them.
racedo is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 21:03
  #835 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
But millions were denied a vote despite having residency here for years, paying their taxes and it directly impacting them.
I presume you mean 'here in UK' and I guess you mean those who have right of abode by virtue of Freedom of Movement.

I cannot recall which elections Europeans can and cannot vote in but they should have a vote that impacts on taxes to which they are subject but I would not agree that they should have a say in whether their host country remains in the Union.

*amended, thank you

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 30th Jun 2019 at 21:19.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 21:17
  #836 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnydale
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
For comparison, we English had no say regarding the Scottish referendum.
not quite correct.


More than four million people in Scotland are eligible to vote. But who are they?
1. British, Irish and all other European Union citizens who are resident in Scotland will be able to vote.
2. Commonwealth citizens who either have leave to remain in the United Kingdom or do not require such leave also qualify.
3. Members of the armed services will also be able to have their say - as long as they are registered to vote in Scotland.
4. With the minimum voting age lowered to 16 for this referendum only, anyone born on or before 18 September, 1998, can cast a vote.
back to Boeing is online now  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 21:45
  #837 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
I presume you mean 'here in UK' and I guess you mean those who have right of abode by virtue of Freedom of Movement.

I cannot recall which elections Europeans can and cannot vote in but they should have a vote that impacts on taxes to which they are subject but I would not agree that they should have a say in whether their host country remains in the Union.

*amended, thank you
Actualy they should have because they have settled here, made their homes here, contributed massively to the economy here but when a decision is being made on their future they are told to FOFF it has zilch to do with you, we want your labour and taxes and bitch because you send money home. But it is ok for Brits to spend billions on holidays in Spain and everywhere else but migrants must only spend it in the UK.
racedo is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 22:22
  #838 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,889
All your guardian link confirms, imsgegear is the ďnoisy refutationĒ and doesnít in any way undermine my point. Funny it should be wheeled out just as Corbyn faces the difficult choice on readmitting (or not) an allegedly anti-Semitic MP, i.e losing a Corbynist ally versus admitting that Labour is safe territory for the nasty squad
ShotOne is offline  
Old 30th Jun 2019, 23:36
  #839 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,817
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
All your guardian link confirms, imsgegear is the ďnoisy refutationĒ and doesnít in any way undermine my point. Funny it should be wheeled out just as Corbyn faces the difficult choice on readmitting (or not) an allegedly anti-Semitic MP, i.e losing a Corbynist ally versus admitting that Labour is safe territory for the nasty squad
None of UK political parties can claim to be free of Anti Semitism.
racedo is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2019, 02:28
  #840 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,578
CJ

Your style of debate fascinates me.

You claim that several of us have lost the argument but only because we donít agree with you. We could equally claim the same thing. I think itís best to agree to disagree.

What also makes me laugh is how you manage to completely ignore the body of my previous post. I presume itís because you lost the argument so you had to change the subject.

Well, since you didnít offer an opinion I shall simply conclude that, based on your behaviour alone, all remainers are whinging, prejudiced bad losers. Because tarring 16.1 million people with the same brush is obviously completely acceptable.

BV
Bob Viking is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.