Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 23rd Mar 2019, 23:29
  #121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
Interesting, that’s to say bizarre, to see so many Labour banners amongst today’s march. Would that be the same Labour party which last week refused to support a vote on the very thing they’re supposedly marching for? Is there no
limit to their populist opportunism?
​​​​​​What a strange question. Were you not aware that both main parties have members who disagree with their leadership?
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 00:53
  #122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
Interesting, that’s to say bizarre, to see so many Labour banners amongst today’s march. Would that be the same Labour party which last week refused to support a vote on the very thing they’re supposedly marching for? Is there no
limit to their populist opportunism?
I do believe that at their party conference last year the members of the Labour Party voted in favour of supporting a second referendum. It is, supposedly, the party policy. It is just their leader has so far failed to act on that decision. Too comfortable on his fence perhaps....
Avionker is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 07:09
  #123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 478
Seems obvious that if it ever does come to another referendum that you need to consider making voting compulsory.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:12
  #124 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: surrey, in the Hills
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
Seems obvious that if it ever does come to another referendum that you need to consider making voting compulsory.
I agree, no vote no say
oldairphot is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:18
  #125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 520
Originally Posted by oldairphot View Post
I agree, no vote no say
The natural follow on from that though is to only allow people to vote if they vote the right way.
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:20
  #126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 426
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
The natural follow on from that though is to only allow people to vote if they vote the right way.
Australia has compulsory voting. They don’t seem to suffer from that.
Avionker is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:24
  #127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by oldairphot View Post
I agree, no vote no say
We have that already.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:34
  #128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
We have that already.
In which case, another referendum is not required.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 10:34
  #129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,879
“What a strange question...”. Strange or not, surely a relevant one for a party touting as an alternative government. At least the demonstrators saw through by roundly and deservedly booing Deputy Leader Watson.
ShotOne is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:16
  #130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
In which case, another referendum is not required.
Non sequitur
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:37
  #131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Hyeres, France
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
Just idle curiosity on my part, but does anyone else think that Sproggett and Parapunter are one and the same?

If so, why the need to post under a different name?

Thought the same myself - Parapunter is a particularly nasty piece of work who, surprise, surprise, told me to F*ck Off as well and for the same reasons of not beuing British and not living in the UK. I think you're right.....
Hussar 54 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:46
  #132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canadian Shield
Posts: 520
After careful reflection, I find my attitude towards Brexit and the EU can be distilled into a simple desire to see Donald Tusk run through the streets, tarred and feathered, before being hung, drawn and quartered...

Irrational... maybe. Cruel & unusual... sure. But I think deep-down that the world would be a better place for it.

Am I alone???
er340790 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 11:57
  #133 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: surrey, in the Hills
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by er340790 View Post
After careful reflection, I find my attitude towards Brexit and the EU can be distilled into a simple desire to see Donald Tusk run through the streets, tarred and feathered, before being hung, drawn and quartered...

Irrational... maybe. Cruel & unusual... sure. But I think deep-down that the world would be a better place for it.

Am I alone???
No, you are certainly not!!
oldairphot is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 12:01
  #134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 53
Guys and gals, remember that you are being read abroad. You are embarassing yourselves...

the British people used to be seen as pragmatic, not anymore. Thank you for the fun anyway, no one did expect brexit would turn into such a joke.
fab777 is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 12:31
  #135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,548
Brexit

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. For me, one of the greatest contradictions of this whole process is that Remainers are more than willing to say that Brexiteers (two great (!) terms by the way that will hopefully be forgotten eventually) fell for the £350M and all the immigration lies but can’t see how they have also fallen time and again for the media propogated myth that Brexiteers are all stupid, uneducated racists who are mostly retired.

People, when will you realise that you read stories that support your own beliefs? It is called confirmation bias. Nobody is getting a balanced view of anything and we all believe far too much of what the media tell us to believe.

Getting nasty solves nothing. We were asked a question in a referendum and we gave an answer. Our personal involvement effectively ended when we walked out of the polling station.

Finally, as a great example of unbalanced reporting and reading, anyone who quotes the oft mentioned notion that ‘many Brexiteers have changed their minds and would now vote remain’ fails to acknowledge that there are many who voted remain who would now vote leave. They often cite the behaviour of the EU through the Brexit process as opening their eyes to the true nature of that organisation.

So, believe what you will, read what you will but don’t suppose to tell anyone what they do or should think. You are all just as guilty as each other for falling for propaganda from one side of the fence.

BV
Bob Viking is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 13:27
  #136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,258
Originally Posted by fab777 View Post
Guys and gals, remember that you are being read abroad. You are embarassing yourselves...

the British people used to be seen as pragmatic, not anymore. Thank you for the fun anyway, no one did expect brexit would turn into such a joke.

Sadly having bumped into a group of Aussies who were on holiday in my neck of the woods the other day I'll second that...

The whole process has not been helped, for better or worse, by some of the stuff that has appeared in the UK MSM.
wiggy is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 13:54
  #137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Harley Quinn View Post
Just idle curiosity on my part, but does anyone else think that Sproggett and Parapunter are one and the same?

If so, why the need to post under a different name?
Strange how Para stopped posting just as Sprog started, a regular pattern going back through history (as I pointed out earlier) and now you have highlighted your suspicions Sprog has also stopped posting...
MFC_Fly is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 13:56
  #138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 75
Posts: 293
With regard to Parapunter/Sprogget: It has struck me for a day or so that, as Parapunter falls silent, Sprogget reappears. Their use of the ampersand is uncannily similar, as are their ridiculous arguments.
Barksdale Boy is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 13:58
  #139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,623
Originally Posted by Avionker View Post


I do believe that at their party conference last year the members of the Labour Party voted in favour of supporting a second referendum. It is, supposedly, the party policy. It is just their leader has so far failed to act on that decision. Too comfortable on his fence perhaps....
Party policy; but not Corbyn policy!!

Anyone who saw Keir Starmer on Marr this morning will realise that Labour are hiding their gaping splits on Brexit behind the Tories even bigger ones!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 14:17
  #140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
Seems obvious that if it ever does come to another referendum that you need to consider making voting compulsory.
One way to make every vote count if there is another referendum is to include those that don't bother to vote as a 'yes'. So in a binary question situation of 'yes' to stay in EU and 'no' to leave, then all those that don't bother to vote are taken as a 'yes' to stay. That way about 26m 'no' votes are needed to leave rather than the 17.4m we have now, which is about one third of the eligible voters.
Grayfly is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.