Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 14th May 2021, 06:54
  #10681 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 76
Originally Posted by alfaman View Post
No - turning a blind eye, by leaving the EU & divorcing ourselves from any input to their legislative process.

Incidentally, reducing the time animals spend onboard trucks is one of the legal requirements; forcing them to travel on ferries, when they could be on roads & take appropriate rest breaks, isn't in their interests; so not perverse at all.
How do a bunch of animals in a truck have a rest break? Do they let them all out for a pee?
artee is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 08:26
  #10682 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by artee View Post
How do a bunch of animals in a truck have a rest break? Do they let them all out for a pee?
The last time I saw animals having a rest break at motorway services they were en route to somewhere called Old Trafford. It wasn't a pleasant sight.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 09:28
  #10683 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by artee View Post
How do a bunch of animals in a truck have a rest break? Do they let them all out for a pee?
There are places that have facilities for that, but stopping to unload has to balanced with the stress on the animals from the additional loading & unloading. Herbivores don't tend to defecate & urinate to suit the transport arrangements, the vehicle has to be equipped to deal with that when under way. Regular stops to check the animals feed & cleanliness can be incorporated in the drivers regulated rest breaks, but access to the vehicle whilst onboard ship is normally restricted to the ships crew - so the same check regimes & access to emergency services aren't possible. http://animaltransportguides.eu/wp-c...Final-2018.pdf
alfaman is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 09:51
  #10684 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,180
The first really visible effect of Brexit (at least visible to those desperate to go on holiday abroad to Portugal) is raising its head today.

As the UK has put Portugal on the "green" list there appeared to be an (incorrect) assumption that the Portuguese would shout yippee!! and open the doors to British holidaymakers. Not so, as of now there is no such word from Lisbon.

Had the UK been in the EU, then there would have been no issues, Brits could have travelled to another EU country, as German, Dutch, Belgians etc can (provided of course the UK government didn't prevent us from doing so). Now you could, and very probably would be justified in saying that such cross border travel, especially between countries with wildly differing infection rates is foolhardy, however it remain a fact that those freedoms have been lost. The UK is now just one of nearly 200 countries and territories that have no automatic right to travel to and within the EU.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 09:52
  #10685 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,180
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
The last time I saw animals having a rest break at motorway services they were en route to somewhere called Old Trafford. It wasn't a pleasant sight.

Ha Ha!! I love it, but I thought they were a newly discovered, long lost tribe of Neaderthals!!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 10:41
  #10686 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,506
ATNotts,

You should tell Portugal - they have similar restrictions on the other EU members, including Schengen…

However, listening to R5L this morning, the expectation is that, like Greece, Portugal will bend before Monday and allow booked tourists in, just as they allowing in supporters for the EUFA cup final.

Personally I think the tourist business is overriding common sense as most travellers will be below 40 and unvaccinated. But that’s their business.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...-eu-countries/

Portugal’s government has tightened its border controls, prolonging its frontier restrictions along with other European Union Member States, amid the third wave of the Coronavirus pandemic.

In this regard, Portugal’s Interior Ministry pointed out that all travellers from the EU countries, where the incidence rate has surpassed 500 cases per 100,000 population, may be eligible to enter the country for essential business reasons and follow two weeks mandatory quarantine rule, SchengenVisaInfo.comreports.

Based on Portugal’s government announcement, the following 11 EU Member States countries will be subject to the border restrictions:
  • Bulgaria
  • The Czech Republic
  • Cyprus
  • Slovenia
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Malta
  • Poland
  • Sweden
Citizens of countries in which the incidence rate is greater than 150 per 100,000 are permitted only for essential trips, but they must follow quarantine rules.

Such a decision is applied to arrivals from the following countries, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Croatia, Finland, Latvia, Greece, Luxembourg, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Romania, and Switzerland.

Travellers, whether by air or land, must show a negative result of the PCR test not older than 72 hours. In case those persons have not taken one, they will be obliged to undergo testing upon their arrival at the airport.….

Last edited by ORAC; 14th May 2021 at 10:54.
ORAC is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 10:52
  #10687 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 932
So there'll be a crowd at the Champions League final in Porto? Why on Earth they didn't move the game to Wembley or somesuch is beyond me.

Also, these PCR tests don't come cheap, apparently.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 10:57
  #10688 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 932
Back on topic, I did see the Sky report yesterday when they were on-board a French fishing vessel, one of the ones which blockaded Jersey. They were fishing for scallops using the highly damaging dredging method. Not sure if Brit boats still do this - I know there has been efforts to ban its use in certain areas.

I'll defo count it as a Brexit win if we enforce this ban throughout our waters.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 10:57
  #10689 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MARS
Posts: 1,050
Never let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to blame Brexit

Spain All travellers arriving from high-risk areas by air or sea transport are subject to the requirement for a pre-departure negative COVID-19 test.

As of 30 March, the same requirement is imposed on travellers crossing the land border between France and Spain. Only those working in transportation and cross-border workers will be exempt, along with those who live in the border zone (as long as they remain within a 30-kilometre radius of their home).

Italy

Until 15 May, all travellers from EU Member States and Schengen Associated Countries will have to complete a 5-day quarantine.

On day 5, a PCR test must be taken. If the result of this test is negative, the period of quarantine can end.

Austria
When entering Austria from abroad, an online Pre-Travel-Clearance is mandatory (exemptions apply). In addition, a medical certificate or a valid negative test result in German or English language for SARS-CoV-2 must be available and presented to border authorities upon request. After entry, a quarantine of 10 days is required. At the earliest on the 5th day of quarantine – the day of arrival marks day 0 – a molecular biological or antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 can be conducted. If the result is negative, the quarantine can be terminated earlier.

Germany

Risk areas are defined as 'virus variant area', 'high incidence area', or 'risk area'. The website of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) shows which country falls into which category. The entry rule is based on the country from which the traveller is coming from, and not on nationality.

Netherlands
The Netherlands adopts its own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for the Netherlands are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

Belgium
The Belgian Government has introduced a traffic light system of high, medium and low-risk regions. Belgium's classification is
updated every Sunday and is valid from the Monday immediately following. It is based on the data and criteria communicated by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) every Thursday. Each country is given a colour code (red, orange, green). The measures applicable to travel to Belgium depend on the colour code assigned to each country.

Romania
Romania adopts its
own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for Romania are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

Poland
Poland adopts its own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for Poland are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

It goes on!
Widger is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 10:58
  #10690 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,506
So there'll be a crowd at the Champions League final in Porto? Why on Earth they didn't move the game to Wembley or somesuch is beyond me.
UEFA offered the match to Wembley, but only on the condition the UK lifted restrictions and allowed in supporters from amber and red list countries for the match without quarantine

The UK government declined to accept the conditions, Portugal accepted.

I understand the rules for the British supporters for the match is they must fly in and out on the same day and spend no longer than 18 hours in the country. More than enough time to get a few pubs and drinks in….

Last edited by ORAC; 14th May 2021 at 11:11.
ORAC is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 11:06
  #10691 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 932
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
UEFA offered the match to Wembley, but only on the condition the UK lifted restrictions and allowed in supporters from Amber red list countries for the match without quarantine

The UK government declined to accept the conditions, Portugal accepted.

I understand the rules for the British supporters for the match is they must fly in and out on the same day and spend no longer than 18 hours in the country. More than enough time to get a few pubs and drinks in….
So supporters from UK amber & red listed countries are free to mingle with our supporters for 18 hours? What could possibly go wrong?
dead_pan is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 11:06
  #10692 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,440
Personally I think the tourist business is overriding common sense as most travels will be below 40 and unvaccinated. But that’s their business.

Really ? Just how extensive is your view of the effects of one portion of society's actions on the rest? One has to go back to the 60s for an enthusiasm for "I'm alright, Jack!"
... For those not familiar, the derivative, which was Navy based, commenced with "Pull up the ladder ..."
60 years of progress !
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 11:13
  #10693 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,506
CJ, I have no influence over the Portuguese tourist industry - neither does the UK government.
ORAC is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 11:49
  #10694 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Widger View Post
Never let the truth get in the way of an opportunity to blame Brexit

Spain All travellers arriving from high-risk areas by air or sea transport are subject to the requirement for a pre-departure negative COVID-19 test.

As of 30 March, the same requirement is imposed on travellers crossing the land border between France and Spain. Only those working in transportation and cross-border workers will be exempt, along with those who live in the border zone (as long as they remain within a 30-kilometre radius of their home).

Italy

Until 15 May, all travellers from EU Member States and Schengen Associated Countries will have to complete a 5-day quarantine.

On day 5, a PCR test must be taken. If the result of this test is negative, the period of quarantine can end.

Austria
When entering Austria from abroad, an online Pre-Travel-Clearance is mandatory (exemptions apply). In addition, a medical certificate or a valid negative test result in German or English language for SARS-CoV-2 must be available and presented to border authorities upon request. After entry, a quarantine of 10 days is required. At the earliest on the 5th day of quarantine – the day of arrival marks day 0 – a molecular biological or antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 can be conducted. If the result is negative, the quarantine can be terminated earlier.

Germany

Risk areas are defined as 'virus variant area', 'high incidence area', or 'risk area'. The website of the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) shows which country falls into which category. The entry rule is based on the country from which the traveller is coming from, and not on nationality.

Netherlands
The Netherlands adopts its own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for the Netherlands are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

Belgium
The Belgian Government has introduced a traffic light system of high, medium and low-risk regions. Belgium's classification is
updated every Sunday and is valid from the Monday immediately following. It is based on the data and criteria communicated by the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) every Thursday. Each country is given a colour code (red, orange, green). The measures applicable to travel to Belgium depend on the colour code assigned to each country.

Romania
Romania adopts its
own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for Romania are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

Poland
Poland adopts its own national classification of risk areas, hence travel restrictions for Poland are not based on the common "EU Traffic Lights" map.

It goes on!
So sovereign states applying their own rules..? just like apparently we couldn't whilst we were EU members...

The sad fact remains, that even when Covid restrictions are lifted, access to any of those countries for UK citizens is far more restrictive than the rules were this time last year. But don't let the facts get in the way of supporting their loss...
alfaman is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 12:03
  #10695 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,506
So sovereign states applying their own rules..? just like apparently we couldn't whilst we were EU members...
Second half is correct - rules then in force have been suspended during the pandemic.
ORAC is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 12:05
  #10696 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,506
CJ,

As anticipated, according to Sky the Portuguese government have announced British tourists will be accepted with effect from Monday morning subject to a negative PCR test in the 72 hours prior to their arrival.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...onday-12306232
ORAC is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 12:57
  #10697 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 6,080
Originally Posted by alfaman View Post
So sovereign states applying their own rules..? just like apparently we couldn't whilst we were EU members...
Pre-pandemic on rare occasions our local large international airport here on the European mainland imposed restrictions:check all arriving passengers, including arrivals from the Schengen zone, for security or other reasons, nothing to do with health issue, so yes, despite some previous comments authorities in the EU sovereign states certainly could and did apply their own rules, sometimes at a local level.
wiggy is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 12:58
  #10698 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: I wouldn't know.
Posts: 4,272
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Second half is correct - rules then in force have been suspended during the pandemic.
Halfway true. Schengen rules have been suspended, but they always could be, and already had been in the past, and the UK was never a Schengen member to begin with. The freedoms of the EU are still there and not suspended. As EU member states are sovereign states they can an always could have border restrictions in place, same as they always could deport EU citizens who were not able to sustain themselves (no job or other income), were able to not give EU citizens access to benefits until they paid into them for at least 6 months and so on.

Denmark even built a border fence on the model of the inner-german soviet wall between Denmark and Germany, in accordance with EU rules.
Denti is online now  
Old 14th May 2021, 13:34
  #10699 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
The first really visible effect of Brexit (at least visible to those desperate to go on holiday abroad to Portugal) is raising its head today.

As the UK has put Portugal on the "green" list there appeared to be an (incorrect) assumption that the Portuguese would shout yippee!! and open the doors to British holidaymakers. Not so, as of now there is no such word from Lisbon.

Had the UK been in the EU, then there would have been no issues, Brits could have travelled to another EU country, as German, Dutch, Belgians etc can (provided of course the UK government didn't prevent us from doing so). Now you could, and very probably would be justified in saying that such cross border travel, especially between countries with wildly differing infection rates is foolhardy, however it remain a fact that those freedoms have been lost. The UK is now just one of nearly 200 countries and territories that have no automatic right to travel to and within the EU.
As per normal with you, jumping on any bandwagon which you can use your Brexit bashing agenda. And again, you are wrong.
Is this the sum total of your life?
The Nip is offline  
Old 14th May 2021, 13:50
  #10700 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,849
So supporters from UK amber & red listed countries are free to mingle with our supporters for 18 hours? What could possibly go wrong?
The issue wasn't supporters but sponsors and officials. They are unlikely to be doing much mingling with the fans..
SWBKCB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.