Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 18th Jan 2020, 18:37
  #4301 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 74
Posts: 820
Listening to the news today, I am totally baffled by pronouncements from various parties in the Brexit saga. On the one hand we have Javid saying British business will no longer be following/complying with EU rules on standards etc. On the other hand, we have representatives of various UK manufacturing/retailing associations saying this will be a massive blow to their industries. Has nobody thought this through? Regardless of what Javid says, manufacturers, exporters and importers will all understand that if they hope to sell any of their products or services to members of the EU, their products or services will have to conform to EU standards. So, those led by directors with an IQ greater than 2 will be able to figure out that, regardless of what pap is emanating from Downing St., they will continue to conform to EU standards and sod what the political idiots say.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 22:23
  #4302 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 69
Posts: 62
Well you know Boris' view of business...F*** means F***
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 23:13
  #4303 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,304
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
So, those led by directors with an IQ greater than 2 will be able to figure out that, regardless of what pap is emanating from Downing St., they will continue to conform to EU standards and sod what the political idiots say.
You've put your finger on the nub of the problem. Those with an IQ greater than 2 voted remain.

PDR
PDR1 is online now  
Old 18th Jan 2020, 23:35
  #4304 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: yes
Posts: 174
The Zed team now running the UK, until it collapses is already exposing themselves. Is it me or does Javid look like an alien?
Anyway in the real world despite the alien's view of things
If you don't follow EU rules you won't sell to the EU. His asinine comment that the Japanese are not European ignores the reality that Japan has plants in the EU.

There's a man promoted beyond his ability.


Steepclimb is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2020, 07:38
  #4305 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 6,096
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Listening to the news today, I am totally baffled by pronouncements from various parties in the Brexit saga. On the one hand we have Javid saying British business will no longer be following/complying with EU rules on standards etc. On the other hand, we have representatives of various UK manufacturing/retailing associations saying this will be a massive blow to their industries. Has nobody thought this through? Regardless of what Javid says, manufacturers, exporters and importers will all understand that if they hope to sell any of their products or services to members of the EU, their products or services will have to conform to EU standards. So, those led by directors with an IQ greater than 2 will be able to figure out that, regardless of what pap is emanating from Downing St., they will continue to conform to EU standards and sod what the political idiots say.
Yes - you need to comply with the legal requirements of which ever market you want to sell into, irrespective of what your home market requires. The issue is, the more those requirements diverge, the greater the cost for industry. For example, you want to sell chicken into the EU, the requirements are minimal because the regulatory requirements are the same - if the UK was to lower our legal requirements, you would now have to provide proof you meet the EU's requirements.
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 19th Jan 2020, 08:36
  #4306 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 69
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by Steepclimb View Post
The Zed team now running the UK, until it collapses is already exposing themselves. Is it me or does Javid look like an alien?
Anyway in the real world despite the alien's view of things
If you don't follow EU rules you won't sell to the EU. His asinine comment that the Japanese are not European ignores the reality that Japan has plants in the EU.

There's a man promoted beyond his ability.
I had a chuckle at that. In our house his name is "Brown Spock". Looking at his career at Deutsche Bank my guess is that he had more to do with the 2008 crash than Gordon Brown did. I ran my own car dealership for 35 years and I reckon that took more financial nous than running a bank.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2020, 22:07
  #4307 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
I had a chuckle at that. In our house his name is "Brown Spock". Looking at his career at Deutsche Bank my guess is that he had more to do with the 2008 crash than Gordon Brown did. I ran my own car dealership for 35 years and I reckon that took more financial nous than running a bank.
Indeed. You are always more careful managing your own money than other people's.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 20th Jan 2020, 11:44
  #4308 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sabotage Central Office
Posts: 0
As the UK 's Euro MP Gravy train hopper-on-ers near the end of the line, a quick tally :

All of Wales = 4 MEPs
All of Scotland = 6 MEPs
London and the south East REGION of ENGLAND = 18 MEPs

And still there are those in power that play little more than lip service to the disparities and disconnection between Westminster and the majority of the country that played such a large part in the 2016 result.
Combine this with the moans of the self appointed keepers of the truth and the whimpers of the failed Brexit wreckers who prefer to see it as being the result of millions of Thickos having the right to vote and its evident we will have decades of blaming Brexit for anything and everything.
I suspect when the EU does fall apart their narrative will blame Brexit

May I suggest they STFU and get on with it?

Slaine is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2020, 12:07
  #4309 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Not far from a lot of solar panels.
Posts: 111
Meanwhile: The South West is a combined constituency region of the European Parliament, comprising the South West of England and Gibraltar. Six Members of the European Parliament using closed party-list proportional representation allocated using the D'Hondt method of distribution are elected.
Null Orifice is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2020, 12:26
  #4310 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by Slaine View Post
As the UK 's Euro MP Gravy train hopper-on-ers near the end of the line, a quick tally :

All of Wales = 4 MEPs
All of Scotland = 6 MEPs
London and the south East REGION of ENGLAND = 18 MEPs

And still there are those in power that play little more than lip service to the disparities and disconnection between Westminster and the majority of the country that played such a large part in the 2016 result.
Combine this with the moans of the self appointed keepers of the truth and the whimpers of the failed Brexit wreckers who prefer to see it as being the result of millions of Thickos having the right to vote and its evident we will have decades of blaming Brexit for anything and everything.
I suspect when the EU does fall apart their narrative will blame Brexit

May I suggest they STFU and get on with it?
Population of London and SE England:- 18,000,000 = 16 MEPís

Population of Scotland:- 5,400,000 = 6 MEPís

Population of Wales:- 3,100,000 = 4 MEPís

Care to explain why that seems unreasonable?

Using your example it could be argued that London and the SE are actually under represented and Wales over represented.
Avionker is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2020, 12:41
  #4311 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by Avionker View Post
Population of London and SE England:- 18,000,000 = 16 MEPís

Population of Scotland:- 5,400,000 = 6 MEPís

Population of Wales:- 3,100,000 = 4 MEPís

Care to explain why that seems unreasonable?

Using your example it could be argued that London and the SE are actually under represented and Wales over represented.
Logic doesn't work too well for those of a Brexit persuation.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 09:31
  #4312 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pays Basque
Posts: 584
I think this might be a first for me but there's a positive story in a broadsheet (beloved of some) this morning that somehow slipped past the Mess ante room (approved media) sub committee that might interest a few here!
UK shrugs off Brexit uncertainty with backing of global CEOs
sidevalve is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 09:47
  #4313 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,131
Originally Posted by sidevalve View Post
I think this might be a first for me but there's a positive story in a broadsheet (beloved of some) this morning that somehow slipped past the Mess ante room (approved media) sub committee that might interest a few here!
UK shrugs off Brexit uncertainty with backing of global CEOs
Thanks for the link albeit you are probably on the list of ante-room approved senders, whereas it would be fair to say I am not due to the criteria kindly provided on another thread.....anyway, just one small potential problem with this glowing piece if you don't mind me mentioning it before many on here erupt in raptures of delight.......PwC to be precise.

Another little organisation which features prominently in "Private Eye".............. for all the wrong reasons.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 09:58
  #4314 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 421
PwC touting for lucrative business.
"Come and buy up a British firm or two. There are just a few left in UK ownership so get in quick. We'll do your DD for you and handle all the negotiations at our usual rates."
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:47
  #4315 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 69
Posts: 463
Most of the firms were sold off long before the referendum and those since the referendum would have been sold even if the result had been to remain, why people keep harping on about something that has been going for many years while a member of the EU and were quite happy with it, but now it is bad all of a sudden because of Brexit.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 11:53
  #4316 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pays Basque
Posts: 584
Odd that the Guardian printed this obvious piece of marketing then.

Officers' Mess Ante Room as fondly imagined by KnC
sidevalve is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 12:48
  #4317 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 421
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Most of the firms were sold off long before the referendum and those since the referendum would have been sold even if the result had been to remain, why people keep harping on about something that has been going for many years while a member of the EU and were quite happy with it, but now it is bad all of a sudden because of Brexit.
Keep your hair on. My post was about PwC, not Brexit.
Now if you said that was off topic, you'd be right.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 13:49
  #4318 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,131
Originally Posted by sidevalve View Post
Odd that the Guardian printed this obvious piece of marketing then.

Officers' Mess Ante Room as fondly imagined by KnC
Actually, the link below is far more definitive , although you may wish to look up Bowerham Barracks, Lancaster for a wallow.

However, I would suggest you also look up PwC and indeed the other three of the "big four " .....nothing new to readers of "Private Eye " however.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cr...=1579613276626
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 21st Jan 2020, 14:45
  #4319 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: European Administrative Area (Western District and Islands)
Posts: 215
Oh no no no. The IMF has forecast UK economy to outgrow the Eurozone for the next two years. That's not supposed to happen, as anyone from London well knows. Now, IMF have a terrible record of forecasting... but loads of arguments for remaining in the EU were pinned on pessimistic IMF forecasts of doom. What a pickle!
six-sixty is offline  
Old 22nd Jan 2020, 07:33
  #4320 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,131
After yesterdays glowing self promotional piece for PwC, this one returns to earth and reality......

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...costs-tory-mps
Krystal n chips is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.