Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:09
  #4061 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Wrathmonk View Post
Which queue will you join on your return to UK? Non-UK nationals (i.e. EU and the Rest of the World) or UK nationals?
The shorter one. Where can I sign up?
zoigberg is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:18
  #4062 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
BTW, in the same article :
“Yesterday evening, the House of Commons decided by a majority of almost 400 to support Theresa Mays plan to trigger Article 50 by the end of March 2017. Hence the prospect that this Article 50 will be invoked has become very real indeed. "
So much for those that imagine "the EU now realises we are leaving". It appears they knew in 2016...

Oh and by the way :
“The fact this proposal is going ahead shows there remains a huge amount of goodwill towards Britain, despite the actions of this Conservative Brexit Government."
So much for the thick heads that imagine the EU "wants to retaliate"...
Fly Aiprt is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:25
  #4063 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
Of course, applicants would be required to produce their numbered referendum poll bulletin, to prove they are not leavers trying to escape the consequences of their own "will of the people"...

This undemocratic trait of the British election system might prove useful after all...
Fly Aiprt is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:47
  #4064 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Hadrians Wall
Posts: 128
Originally Posted by MFC_Fly View Post
It doesn't matter a toss where I think the border is, I was asking kkbuk which part of the Belfast Agreement would be compromised. Since you quoted me and directed your question to me then I naturally assumed that you were also referring to the BA, if not then your post was irrelevant to my initial question.
You might be right, but it's the view of the US politicians that kkbuk refers to that count, not yours.

Whether the BA is compromised or not will depend, I suspect, on where the WTO tariff border is, hence my question.
OilCan is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:51
  #4065 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by OilCan View Post
Whether the BA is compromised or not will depend, I suspect, on where the WTO tariff border is, hence my question.
And hence my previous request... "Please quote the part of the Belfast Agreement that you refer to."

MFC_Fly is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:52
  #4066 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,662
Mr Mac; the Vauxhall Ellesmere Port plant was the plant that became part of the PSA merger as I understand it. Anyhoo, it looks like the Ellesmere Port plant is now being promised a lot more stability under the recent merger with the Fiat Chrysler group.

Regarding the Range Rover, we were in the market for a used SUV back in 2012. I bought a Lexus RX400 from a specialist 4x4 emporium who offered me an extended warranty on it. My comment was "If I was buying a Range Rover I'd take it but I don't think the Lexus needs it". When he finished laughing he agreed with me. 7 years later still it's going strong! Of all the SUV's the Range Rover appears to have the worst record for reliability of the genre and they have always been renowned for depreciating like a grand piano falling from the roof!
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 11:55
  #4067 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 60
Posts: 867
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
I would be prepared to pay up to say 500 a year for membership, that would be quite handy for the EU if a couple of million Remainers felt the same.

Mr.M I had a bit of an unfair advantage having been in the motor trade all my life and being aware of the dire build quality of that vehicle. A friend traded in his Bentley Sport on a new Autograph at about 105k. He got 60k for the Bentley, half what he paid two years and four thousand miles earlier. The R Rover has been a nightmare it's been in for repair more time than it's been on the road.
Effluent Man
Yes we as a family when I was 9 years old had an original Range Rover in that Beige colour (we are talking 1969) and that car was my Dads last UK built car as it let us down so many times. As for New Range Rovers the lady question walked into the service bay when one of her previous ones was in for service to find them using Blue Tack to solve a problem with electric windows ! As you say Bentley also have some issues with devaluation and rust I hear, and AM also have bad rust problems and reliability issues as I can testify to (it was a flight of fancy influenced by Mr Bond now back with Porsche thank goodness !)

Kind regards
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:02
  #4068 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,662
Here's the Belfast Agreement. Have a read and you will see that that the border is only referred to in the context of "cross-border" agreements, no mention of location, hard border etc etc
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:09
  #4069 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
Here's the Belfast Agreement. Have a read and you will see that that the border is only referred to in the context of "cross-border" agreements, no mention of location, hard border etc etc
Ahh, finally... someone else that has actually taken the time to read it for themselves rather than just regurgitating what they hear spouted around by the press and by politicians
MFC_Fly is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:15
  #4070 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,662
MFC Fly, I posted it in here about a year ago but nobody seemed to want to confront actual facts!! I have great fun pointing out the border references, or lack thereof, to my Irish relatives.
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:25
  #4071 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 130
Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
MFC Fly, I posted it in here about a year ago but nobody seemed to want to confront actual facts!! I have great fun pointing out the border references, or lack thereof, to my Irish relatives.
Good on you. 👍 That excuse has been thrown around so many times by the remainer experts on here.
The Nip is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:45
  #4072 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Hadrians Wall
Posts: 128
I'm not questioning the BA document (I did read it), I'm simply suggesting that it's the view of the US politicians that count, not the Brexit experts on here.
OilCan is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 12:50
  #4073 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 264
Originally Posted by OilCan View Post
I'm not questioning the BA document (I did read it), I'm simply suggesting that it's the view of the US politicians that count, not the Brexit experts on here.
Mmmm, doesn't look that way to me...

Originally Posted by OilCan View Post
Whether the BA is compromised or not will depend, I suspect, on where the WTO tariff border is
MFC_Fly is offline  
Old 19th Dec 2019, 13:28
  #4074 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 414
Originally Posted by Wrathmonk View Post
Which queue will you join on your return to UK? Non-UK nationals (i.e. EU and the Rest of the World) or UK nationals?
I'll still have my UK passport. Not a blue one for a while yet
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 01:14
  #4075 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Hadrians Wall
Posts: 128
MFC_Fly
At least do me the courtesy of quoting me in context...
Originally Posted by OilCan View Post
You might be right, but it's the view of the US politicians that kkbuk refers to that count, not yours.

Whether the BA is compromised or not will depend, I suspect, on where the WTO tariff border is, hence my question.
I'll concede perhaps I should have added;
Whether they think the BA is compromised or not....
Oilcan.
OilCan is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 07:26
  #4076 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 69
Posts: 58
Judging from the interview just given on R4 the chances of a Brexit deal are zero. The regularity alignment required for a deal is going to leave the ERG trampled in the mud so Pfeffel is going to have a difficult choice between honouring his pals or getting a trade deal. Of course we all know what an honourable man he is, up there with Prince Andrew in fact, so it will be No Deal.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 08:54
  #4077 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Surrey, UK.
Posts: 0
For people who have been so spectacularly wrong about the brexit vote and two election results, especially this last one, you doom merchants don't half write some bollox.

Do the decent thing and, like gertie, hide away until it is slightly less embarrassing for you. We will still be here in 10 years.

Merry Christmas 😇

Last edited by rustle; 20th Dec 2019 at 18:32.
rustle is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 09:28
  #4078 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 414
I don't know what all the fuss is about. We've been reminded ad nauseam that the referendum was simply remain or leave. There was nothing about what sort of leave.
We'll be out next month.
If there is no deal, well the referendum didn't offer one.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 11:52
  #4079 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
We'll be out next month.
If there is no deal, well the referendum didn't offer one.
I've read elswhere the suggestion that BJ won't keep the Parliament and the UK public in general updated on the progress of the negotiations with the EU.

The EU won't "play hardball" or anything, they'll just play their hand. They have been ready for months now, their priorities are set, and our old friend Barnier is at the helm.
As there won't be much time for those negotiations, and BJ is still busy playing the domestic politic game, the UK won't be in the strongest of positions in February.
One of the first deals to be struck concerns the fisheries after the standstill transition period. We will quickly see whether the PM will be transparent.
Fly Aiprt is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 12:05
  #4080 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: way out west
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt View Post
I've read elswhere the suggestion that BJ won't keep the Parliament and the UK public in general updated on the progress of the negotiations with the EU.

The EU won't "play hardball" or anything, they'll just play their hand. They have been ready for months now, their priorities are set, and our old friend Barnier is at the helm.
As there won't be much time for those negotiations, and BJ is still busy playing the domestic politic game, the UK won't be in the strongest of positions in February.
One of the first deals to be struck concerns the fisheries after the standstill transition period. We will quickly see whether the PM will be transparent.
Yes, yes, we know, EU is good, UK is stupid and racist. Anyone would wonder why you spend so much time on a UK based forum...
duffied is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.