Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Terrorists kill dozens in mosques in Christchurch NZ today

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Terrorists kill dozens in mosques in Christchurch NZ today

Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:43
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fliegensville, Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 13
As a thought, I wonder if the location was chosen because its very name is the opposite of mosque?

I think you give him way too much credit PN .....

It's long been said "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter"...

And don't think I am not hopping mad about the Muslims here in Oz who are very vocal right now speaking out about their safety.....EVERY single time there is an act of Islamic terror they are never heard from ...or perhaps a token "We are a religion of Peace"...Now they're demanding special police protection FFS!!
Fliegenmong is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:50
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Fliegensville, Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 13
Ahhh....the state of Victoria...Deputy Victoria Police Commissioner Wendy Steendam (ABC News)
By Freya Michie

Victoria Police says there will be a highly visible police presence at this weekend's Grand Prix and Victorian Mosque Open Day on Sunday.

Deputy Commissioner Wendy Steendam said "large numbers of police" would be in and around the Albert Park Grand Prix track.

She also said police had been liasing with Muslim community leaders to reassure them and ensure they felt supported.

Extra police will be patrolling the state's mosques.

Twenty-one mosques are set to open their doors to the public on Sunday for guided mosque tours, hijab tutorials and discussions about Islamic beliefs.

The deputy commissioner said police encouraged Victorians to show support for the Muslim community by attending the mosque open day.

"We will also be out there will extra patrols and highly visible in those locations," she said.

She stressed there was no known link to Victoria from any of the suspects in custody in New Zealand.

Asked if she was concerned about the risk of copy-cat actions in Victoria, she said; "We always monitor and look to understand if this energises any of our known persons of interest and that's part of the normal work that we would do in circumstances like this."

She said Victorian police would look at "all spectrums on both sides of extremism", including known right-wing extremists in Victoria.
____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________ _______________________________________


Twenty-one mosques are set to open their doors to the public on Sunday for guided mosque tours, hijab tutorials and discussions about Islamic beliefs.

The deputy commissioner said police encouraged Victorians to show support for the Muslim community by attending the mosque open day.


The commisioner (dour looking old girl ain't she?) encourages Victorians to go to a Mosque Open day...and presumably listen to a Hijab Tutorial....Worlds truly gone mad.....
Fliegenmong is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:52
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: inv
Posts: 257
May their memories be a blessing
scr1 is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:54
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by Fliegenmong View Post

And don't think I am not hopping mad about the Muslims here in Oz who are very vocal right now speaking out about their safety.....EVERY single time there is an act of Islamic terror they are never heard from ...or perhaps a token "We are a religion of Peace"...Now they're demanding special police protection FFS!!
Congratulations on your dignified attention shifting whataboutery before the bodies are cold. Have a lolly pop.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 09:59
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Wellington,NZ
Age: 61
Posts: 1,624
It definitely was a terrorist attack, which is not to say that clareprop is completely wrong. Sub-human, diseased mind, and bigot are all pretty much spot on.

The mood in the country is extremely sombre tonight. It is fair to say that nobody expected something like this would happen here. Our Muslim communities are generally well regarded and seem to be made up of decent people. They don't make the news for the wrong reasons. Until now.

This is our 22/July, a date made notorious by Anders Breivik. (Another bigoted sub-human.)

Our PM's comments are particularly resonant. I'm pretty sure she speaks for a lot of us. She sure speaks for me.

Extract:
"We, New Zealand, we were not a target because we're a safe harbour for those who hate, we were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we're an enclave for extremism, we were chosen for the very fact we are none of these things."She said the values of New Zealand "will not and can not be shaken by this attack".
"The strongest possible condemnation of the ideology of the people who did this, you may have chosen us, but we utterly condemn and reject you."
Tarq57 is online now  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:00
  #26 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 903
"Twenty-one mosques are set to open their doors to the public on Sunday for guided mosque tours, hijab tutorials and discussions about Islamic beliefs.

The deputy commissioner said police encouraged Victorians to show support for the Muslim community by attending the mosque open day.


The commisioner (dour looking old girl ain't she?) encourages Victorians to go to a Mosque Open day...and presumably listen to a Hijab Tutorial....Worlds truly gone mad.....



Yep, that's the problem with education...it tends to open peoples minds and leads to enlightenment. But, as you say, the world has gone mad.....thanks to the actions of extremists who represent only a very small demographic of those they ostensibly commit terrorist acts on behalf on.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:07
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yes.
Posts: 205
"And don't think I am not hopping mad about the Muslims here in Oz who are very vocal right now speaking out about their safety.....EVERY single time there is an act of Islamic terror they are never heard from ...or perhaps a token "We are a religion of Peace"...Now they're demanding special police protection FFS!!"

Couldn't agree more!

The silence from the mosques is deafening after an Islamic atrocity, after atrosity, after atrocity...

I am concerned, a concealed weapon was stored in a place of worship. Wonder if the NZ cops will keep a check on other places of worshipers of peace. Can you imagine the outcry if infidle searched them!!

Last edited by Dan_Brown; 15th Mar 2019 at 10:27.
Dan_Brown is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:34
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: UK/OZ
Posts: 1,624
Three terrorists were heavily armed, dressed in identical black uniforms, coordinated and well trained. This was not a lone-wolf attack.
From ABC TV...
Perhaps a lone wolf with two less committed or capable cubs...

NZ PM saying three of the suspects appear to be connected. (Hope she doesnít regret that statement)

Whilst two mosques were attacked it is unclear if there was more than one shooter.
The Australian PM speaks of attacker in the singular.
However, a suspect device was reportedly found in more than one car, which at the moment is the only fact (made public) that indicates this was not a lone wolf.

However, there is still scope that this was a lone wolf as police chief says a suspect arrested in possession of a firearm is not connected and the two others in custody have not yet been charged.

It is common for media to chase shadows and make the worst case scenario.

One car was rammed by police and the driver arrested, not clear if this was the shooters car.

20 victims are critical, 12 operating theatres in use.

From my armchair, the cancelation of the international cricket match is both an an indication that police didnít have a handle on the situation and that NZ security forces do not have surge capacity to secure an arena.

I hope they reverse the decision and play a one day match in defiance and solidarity as my instinct for news analysis is that the threat has subsided.


mjb

Last edited by mickjoebill; 15th Mar 2019 at 10:47.
mickjoebill is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:51
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
Apparently there was a gun kept at one of the mosques that was used to return fire.
That's going to raise a few questions as well.
Whats your source for that?
2unlimited is online now  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 10:57
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 15,280
Sadly one feels this is indicative of the way things will go in the future with hate related crimes on all sides of the relligious fence, mass movement of cultures and ideals into Western societies where a less oppressive more relaxed culture exists always will cause friction, there needs to be give and take on both sides.
Why the heck we as a race cannot simply get on is beyond me, we come into this world free from the burdens of hate, race, colour and religion, it is man itself that foists these ideals on the young.
RIP to those no longer with us the World over.
NutLoose is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:08
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: closer to hell
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by 2unlimited View Post


Whats your source for that?
#16 above...
troppo is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:22
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 774
Tears will be shed today by many, for the "Religion of Peace", in my case, however, I am finding it hard to feel any sympathy. Sorry about that.
flash8 is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:30
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by flash8 View Post
Tears will be shed today by many, for the "Religion of Peace", in my case, however, I am finding it hard to feel any sympathy. Sorry about that.
Just shows that you are part of the problem...
ThorMos is online now  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:30
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 72
Posts: 3,607
proud of FB to set up an 'I'm safe' page for Anglo saxon, christian new zealanders to jump on the band wagon and declare they are safe. I doubt very much that any of them were ever in any danger let alone actually being at friday mosque. kind of embarrassing and ignorant.
Where on earth do you get the idea that this is for "Anglo Saxon, Christian, New Zealanders"? It is for everyone, of whatever ethnicity, or of any faith or none.

I for one was relieved to see on Facebook that my nephew and his family who live in Christchurch are all safe this morning. Social media gets a lot of stick, but on occasions like this it is a huge benefit.

Last edited by Tankertrashnav; 15th Mar 2019 at 22:07.
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:33
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Age: 43
Posts: 454
Tears will be shed today by many, for the "Religion of Peace", in my case, however, I am finding it hard to feel any sympathy. Sorry about that.
If you can't tell the difference between bigots preaching hate and murdering in the name or their religion and can find no sadness in your heart for innocent men, women and children mown down for simply practicing their faith in a place of worship, then I am truly sorry about that.
clareprop is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:53
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 741
Originally Posted by troppo View Post
#16 above...
Well I guess the Livestream video quickly debunks that theory.
2unlimited is online now  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:57
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: closer to hell
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav View Post
Where on earth do you get the idea that this is for "Anglo Saxon, Christian, New Zealanders"? It is for everyone, of whatever ethnicity, or of any faith or none.

I for one was relieved to see on Facebook that my nephew and his family who live in Auckland are all safe this morning. Social media gets a lot of stick, but on occasions like this it is a huge benefit.
Why would your nephew and family nearly 1000km away be anything other than safe?
Social media clicks and likes turn what should be thought processes into finger reflexes but hey if they jumped on the 1000km bandwagon by clicking without thinking fill your boots.
troppo is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 11:58
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 774
The only question that the Politicians and media will not address is the "why?" this event occurred, this will be studiously ignored, and I double-down, I am sorry I find it hard to be sympathetic, yes, perhaps I'm part of the problem, but I'm not going to lie.

The Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, called the massacre a “rightwing extremist attack”
So, "mental illness" has been immediately ruled out, nice to know that, because if it were the other way around...
flash8 is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 12:01
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: closer to hell
Age: 47
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by 2unlimited View Post


Well I guess the Livestream video quickly debunks that theory.
How so? Because it showed the shooter's view for about a minute and a half out of seventeen minutes?
troppo is offline  
Old 15th Mar 2019, 12:08
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: waterskiing 2 miles behind the ac...
Posts: 904
This was not Terrorism!

All those on here calling this criminal incident a Terrorist attack are being deliberately disingenuous.
Terrorists seek to replace/destroy the established civil power in order to gain political power: as evidenced by all the Islamic Terrorist attacks we have suffered in the West.
Some lunatic murdering Muslims in NZ is NOT striking at the general population and government of NZ.

I fought terrorists and insurgents throughout the 'War on Terror' and I know the difference.

(Also - just because morally bankrupt and media-savvy politicians want to jump on the victimhood bandwagon and call it terrorism...doesn't make it so.)
Training Risky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.