Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Computer terms pronunciation

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Computer terms pronunciation

Old 11th Jan 2019, 09:41
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Green Heart of Europe!
Age: 60
Posts: 231
Computer terms pronunciation

Here's one that crops up on a fairly regular basis in our office:

How do you pronounce the full version of Gb? Do you say Gigabyte or Jigabyte?

Seems to be about a fifty-fifty split in our office. We're an I.T. company, by the way!
CargoMatatu is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 09:47
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Search me - I only just got out of bed ....
Age: 74
Posts: 447
Gigabyte (with a hard G) is the only way I've ever heard it said down here. But then again we Australians talk funny. Also often abbreviated to "Gig" or "Gigs" when discussed with those of similar (often limited) technical expertise.
FullOppositeRudder is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 09:52
  #3 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 55
Posts: 5,427
We always said gig with a hard g on my office.
treadigraph is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 09:57
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: In the air
Posts: 260
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
We always said gig with a hard g on my office.

Same here


(if you say jigabyte, why don't you say jijabyte?)

(jigabyte sounds like a wound from an insect larva)

(how do you pronounce MySQL?)
double_barrel is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:10
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 64
Posts: 57
G
Want a jigabyte? Use a J.
meadowrun is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:11
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Oxfordshire
Posts: 595
G is usually only pronounced like a J when followed by an E.
George, large, geography etc.
As usual, there are exceptions (get, gelding etc)
Blues&twos is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:11
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Tamworth, UK / Nairobi, Kenya
Posts: 613
Gigabyte with a hard G, because long before we had Gigabytes in computers, we had computer consultants who did computer gigs, and before that we had musicians who did gigs.

And MySQL is usually pronounced My Ess Queue Elle, but I pronounce it MySqueel
darkroomsource is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:12
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Gig. Squil.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:27
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 64
Posts: 57
Paradigm

A well loved term embraced by upper management types, endorsed by best-selling management gurus and used when upper management has no idea what to do next with a problem that is confounding their brain cells.
Solution? Apply esoteric name and throw it down a few levels for lower management to sort out what is usually a profound, wide ranging, strategic problem.

In their honour I always pronounce it Para-Dij-em because it reminds me of bumper car rides.

(yeah, yeah, not really a computer speak thing.)
meadowrun is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 10:29
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 10,112
Originally Posted by darkroomsource View Post
Gigabyte with a hard G, because long before we had Gigabytes in computers, we had computer consultants who did computer gigs, and before that we had musicians who did gigs.
Sorry, but Emmett Brown disagrees:



DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 11:42
  #11 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,785
I’m not sure why the assumed accent of an American actor should be considered definitive for the pronunciation of English IT terminology.
ORAC is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 11:53
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 69
A number of French associates use the soft "Jiga" term (No Bytes) to describe capacity. e.g. 50 Jiga..100 Jiga, etc.

However, throughout my experience around the world it has always been the hard "G", with bytes.

IG
Imagegear is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:13
  #13 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 74
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by Blues&twos View Post
G is usually only pronounced like a J when followed by an E.
George, large, geography etc.
As usual, there are exceptions (get, gelding etc)
Like giraffe . . .
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 12:16
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 10,112
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Iím not sure why the assumed accent of an American actor should be considered definitive for the pronunciation of English IT terminology.
Nobody said we were just talking about English IT.

The pronunciation in that clip was the standard American usage for many years, may well still be: NIST: Metric (SI) Prefixes
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 13:04
  #15 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,785
The OP is in “the green heart of Europe”....
ORAC is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 13:37
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Like giraffe . . .
... or gigolo
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 14:26
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Oxfordshire
Posts: 595
Ah, but both "gigolo" and "giraffe" are French in origin.

And that's just the sort of thing the French would do.
Blues&twos is online now  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 14:57
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Age: 75
Posts: 289
Giga derives from the Greek gigas (hard gammas) meaning giant, and we all know how we pronounce that.... but then again usage usually trumps everything else.
Barksdale Boy is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 14:59
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
... or gigolo
. . . or giant, gin or gist
Allan Lupton is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2019, 14:59
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 914
Either is correct - I use Gig. I even say it that way when I steal from Doc Brown - "1.21 Gigabytes?! 1.21 Gigabytes!? What was I thinking?"

However, I do not say Guygantic or Gih-gantic to refer to something else that's very large - or "Guy-ant" to refer to a very tall person. In 1947 when the prefix was assigned, it was from classical Greek (which even Greeks no longer pronounce the same way) - but there is some evidence a German (Jerman) scientist proposed the use in the 1920s - with a jerman "Guh." The Greek letter involved is "gamma."

In French, of course, "George" is "Zhorhzh." Maybe it should be Zhizhabyte - which is slightly closer to J than to "Guh."

Next question, next letter: Is it Gihgabytes or Guygabites? 7% of Britons (wikipaedia reports) prefer Guygabytes or Juygabytes
pattern_is_full is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.