Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Study of Use of Parachutes

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Study of Use of Parachutes

Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:47
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 729
Study of Use of Parachutes

Anyone whose activities might from time to time involve wearing a parachute either for enjoyment, or because the Serjeant told them to, or in the forlorn hope that it might prove to be a "last resort" lifesaver should take very careful note of a report into some ground-breaking research entitled "Parachute use to prevent death and major trauma when jumping from aircraft".

The article is detailed, technical and exhaustive.

One conclusion drawn is;
  • This randomized trial of parachute use found no reduction in death or major injury compared with individuals jumping from aircraft with an empty backpack.
However the authors do admit that this is only proven because participants, control and otherwise could only be recruited when the jump was at a low height, such as when the aircraft was parked on the ground. The hypothesis that jumping at higher altitudes without a parachute can lead to severe trauma or even death remains untested, cannot be substantiated except anecdotally, and remains a hypothesis.

I strongly recommend reading the article in full, while apologising in the usual way for introducing aviation content to Jet Blast.

Last edited by old,not bold; 16th Dec 2018 at 11:17.
old,not bold is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:08
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 9,913
Originally Posted by old,not bold View Post
However the authors do admit that this is only proven because participants, control and otherwise could only be recruited when the jump was at a low height, such as when the aircraft was parked on the ground. The hypothesis that jumping at higher altitudes without a parachute can lead to severe trauma or even death remains untested, cannot be substantiated except anecdotally, and remains a hypothesis.
I can't decide whether this is a sppof, or just a load of b*ll*cks.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:20
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,398
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
I can't decide whether this is a sppof, or just a load of b*ll*cks.
I suspect it's aimed at making people question some of the dodgy medical and sociological research "findings" that get hyped by the meeja from time to time.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:25
  #4 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,726
It’s not the jumping that causes injury, it’s the bounce. The lower you jump, the softer the bounce.

Optimum solution - grab on tight to the ground and don’t bounce.
ORAC is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:34
  #5 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 55
Posts: 5,300
I felt it was a bit of a letdown to be honest....
treadigraph is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:55
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,505
I wonder how much R W Yeh got to research this nonsense.
Fareastdriver is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 12:55
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,160
A Martin-Baker let-down?

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 13:20
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 312
a report on some ground-breaking research
Depends how hard you hit it.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 13:29
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: UK
Age: 80
Posts: 695
Fake News.
funfly is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 14:25
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coasting South
Age: 64
Posts: 31
Jump to your own conclusion.
hiflymk3 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 14:31
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North West UK
Posts: 504
Eh??

They asked 23 people to jump out of a small, stationary plane on the ground and determined that a parachute was of no worth? Have they not heard of skydiving?
Espada III is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 15:04
  #12 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 729
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK View Post
I can't decide whether this is a sppof, or just a load of b*ll*cks.
Oh dear, let's see now, I wonder if it was either. I'll read it all again..............
.
.
.
.
Yup; I do believe the article might not have been totally, 100%, serious. Thank you for pointing this out; I just hadn't realised, silly me. My money's on it being a sppof, as you say. Gertrude has got it, I think.

Eh??

They asked 23 people to jump out of a small, stationary plane on the ground and determined that a parachute was of no worth? Have they not heard of skydiving?
Espada; They mention sky-diving in the article, so I guess they have heard of it. But I do not see how anyone can argue against the conclusion that if you jump from an aeroplane on the ground a parachute makes little difference to the outcome in terms of injury or death. Intuitively, you might assume this to be the case, but there's no substitute for sound, scientific research and conclusions that prove it.
old,not bold is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 15:43
  #13 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,726
Well I suppose they have to start at the bottom and work their way up.
ORAC is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 17:35
  #14 (permalink)  
Below the Glidepath - not correcting
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,595
Something, something about jokes you need to explain...
Two's in is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 18:27
  #15 (permalink)  
Psychophysiological entity
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Age: 79
Posts: 4,596
Hmmm . . . death due to jumping from an aircraft which is on the ground.

There's been a few of them.

Anyway, back in 1970, I was in uniform and at the bottom end of an evacuation slide. I had a great view of our lovely new intakes taking their first training. I was supposed to catch them if they came a cropper. One nearly killed me.

High heels. You'd have thought by 1970, they'd have removed shoes, wouldn't you? Lovely girl looks nervous, steps onto the slide and goes base over apex. She's now completely airborne feet first, coming at me. One of the heels dug into my forehead just above my eye. I didn't have to catch her, she was sitting on me.

It was almost a very short career, or even life, the impact was so great I'd imagine the heel would have gone out of the back of the orbit. Ewwwwwwww.
Loose rivets is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 20:09
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: In the air
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by Two's in View Post
Something, something about jokes you need to explain...
it's full of hilarious (well, mildly amusing) in-jokes for medical epidemiologists. This forum may not be the target audience.
double_barrel is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 20:30
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coasting South
Age: 64
Posts: 31
People jump out of planes above 14,000 feet without parachutes and live.

Daocheng Yading airport in Sichuan China is the highest commercial airport in the world at 14,472 feet.
hiflymk3 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 20:57
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,003
[QUOTE=hiflymk3;10337203]People jump out of planes above 14,000 feet without parachutes and live.

Is that because any higher up and the air friction on the way down and your toast
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 21:03
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Coasting South
Age: 64
Posts: 31
[QUOTE=lomapaseo;10337221]
Originally Posted by hiflymk3 View Post
People jump out of planes above 14,000 feet without parachutes and live.

Is that because any higher up and the air friction on the way down and your toast
Correct and you'd land butter side down.
hiflymk3 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 22:13
  #20 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 729
This forum may not be the target audience
I think the clue is in the letters "BMJ" in the URL for the piece, together with the time of year. To say nothing of the word "satirical", if you read far enough down.....
old,not bold is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.