Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Nationality?

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Nationality?

Old 20th Nov 2018, 18:54
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penzance
Age: 68
Posts: 500
Nationality?

I wonder what the collective could offer on this. My sister was born in a military hospital in Nicosia in 1954 whilst Pa was stationed there as he was in the R.A.F. Her birth certificate was signed by a Flight Lieutenant Sharp. Her nationality is shown not as British as might be thought, but English. Would that be a simple error or might be have been a proto English separatist?
RedhillPhil is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 19:03
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,382
Prob'ly means May will throw her out as a cross between a Windrusher and a queue-jumper. After all, she can always sort out any administrative errors remotely after she's been deported.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 22:27
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penzance
Age: 68
Posts: 500
That's what I told her - much to her chagrin.
RedhillPhil is offline  
Old 20th Nov 2018, 23:38
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: VVTS (Saigon)
Posts: 4,553
A bluntie named Sharp!
India Four Two is online now  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 07:14
  #5 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 902
The time to become really concerned about nationality is when......Yorkshire....appears in the options.

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 21st Nov 2018 at 07:39.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 09:11
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa
Age: 81
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
The time to become really concerned about nationality is when......Yorkshire....appears in the options.
Why be worried?

We have 5 grounds that we could host test matches at.
ian16th is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 09:49
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,446
My sister was born in a military hospital in Nicosia in 1954 whilst Pa was stationed there as he was in the R.A.F.
My daughter was born in Singapore in a British military hospital. She had both a Singapore birth certificate and a British one and there has been no problem with passports etc.

She found out, too late, that up to the age of eighteen she could have applied for Singapore citizenship as well which might have, or not have been useful.
Fareastdriver is online now  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 14:19
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Not far from a lot of solar panels.
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver View Post
My daughter was born in Singapore in a British military hospital. She had both a Singapore birth certificate and a British one and there has been no problem with passports etc.

She found out, too late, that up to the age of eighteen she could have applied for Singapore citizenship as well which might have, or not have been useful.
Same situation for my daughter - the down side to the Singapore citizenship was that she would have become liable for military service under the rules pertaining at that time (early 70s).
Null Orifice is offline  
Old 21st Nov 2018, 15:31
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Norfolk
Age: 62
Posts: 7
At that time there was a distinction over various classes of British citizenship. There still is. Putting "English" on the birth certificate meant that the child would be able to claim full citizenship and residency rights in the UK at any time in the future.
G0ULI is offline  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 11:13
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: River Thames & Surrey
Age: 70
Posts: 7,867
Bloke I know was born in India pre 1947 of Irish parents who were working for the UK government. On return to the UK, he did National Service in the RAF including overseas postings. In the late '60s, still living in the UK as he had been since India, he applied for a British passport and was refused on the grounds HMPO decided his nationality was Irish, not Brtish.
chevvron is offline  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 13:33
  #11 (permalink)  
Cunning Artificer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The spiritual home of DeHavilland
Age: 71
Posts: 3,105
The same happened to Spike Milligan. He was born during his Irish father's military service on the NW Frontier. When he applied for a passport in later years he was told he was either Pakistani or Irish or possibly both - but was not eligible for a British passport. One reason why he emigrated to Australia.
Blacksheep is offline  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 14:22
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lost, but often Indonesia
Posts: 564
Nationality of the Father was the key (Grandfather would do I think, I believe things have changed). i.e. I was born in NZ to an English Father, Kiwi Mum. I have a full British passport (and a NZ one) that records the birth place as Wellington, NZ.
Octane is online now  
Old 22nd Nov 2018, 16:51
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa
Age: 81
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Nationality of the Father was the key (Grandfather would do I think, I believe things have changed). i.e. I was born in NZ to an English Father, Kiwi Mum. I have a full British passport (and a NZ one) that records the birth place as Wellington, NZ.
Not quite as 'full' as one that says born within the UK. It works for getting in and out of the UK, but I am aware of people having problems getting USA Visa's because they were born in the RAF Akrotiri Hospital.

I also am aware of a guy who had an Irish father, born in Ireland before partition. He opted to be 'British' and signed a document at the time.
He travelled a lot and married. While resident in Argentina, my mate was born there.
My mate joined the RAF and married while serving. His wife had 2 children, one born in Malta and one in Germany.
After his service, c1971, my mate decided to emigrate to Oz.

The Oz authorities asked to see a copy of the document his father had signed in 1922.

Somerset House had a copy!
ian16th is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 05:46
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Lost, but often Indonesia
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by ian16th View Post
Not quite as 'full' as one that says born within the UK. It works for getting in and out of the UK, but I am aware of people having problems getting USA Visa's because they were born in the RAF Akrotiri Hospital.

I also am aware of a guy who had an Irish father, born in Ireland before partition. He opted to be 'British' and signed a document at the time.
He travelled a lot and married. While resident in Argentina, my mate was born there.
My mate joined the RAF and married while serving. His wife had 2 children, one born in Malta and one in Germany.
After his service, c1971, my mate decided to emigrate to Oz.

The Oz authorities asked to see a copy of the document his father had signed in 1922.

Somerset House had a copy!
In my case incorrect. My passport states "BRITISH CITIZEN" code GBR. i.e. bog standard British citizenship...
Octane is online now  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 06:39
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1998
Location: Escapee from Ultima Thule
Posts: 4,226
I'm up to four citizenships now. A couple through naturalisation, one through birth, and one through ancestry. Only have three passports, so I should pull my finger out and get the fourth. My son has four as well.
Tinstaafl is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 11:02
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,382
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
I should pull my finger out and get the fourth
If the fourth is the one via ancestry and is Irish (as so many such are), and none of the other three is an EU27 nationality, then yes, you probably should.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 12:20
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa
Age: 81
Posts: 1,314
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
In my case incorrect. My passport states "BRITISH CITIZEN" code GBR. i.e. bog standard British citizenship...
As I said, this gets you into and out of the UK.

But your 'Place of Birth' is not the UK.
This can be problematic if you apply for a visa to enter some countries. In particular the USA.
I am aware of a person who was born at that RAF Hospital Akrotiri who had this problem.
ian16th is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 12:31
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Le Plateau
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by ian16th View Post
As I said, this gets you into and out of the UK.

But your 'Place of Birth' is not the UK.
This can be problematic if you apply for a visa to enter some countries. In particular the USA.
I am aware of a person who was born at that RAF Hospital Akrotiri who had this problem.
Yes,and you will find that if you have children, they have no entitlement to citizenship or residence.
If they are born in the UK all well and good but your "one time only" entitlement is not inherited, so they will not be able to claim the right if born in another country.

IG

IG
Imagegear is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 12:40
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,257
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
If the fourth is the one via ancestry and is Irish (as so many such are), and none of the other three is an EU27 nationality, then yes, you probably should.
Aware of quite a few friends who arch Brexiteers who when vote went through all of a sudden remembered they had Irish ancestors so applied for passports there. Calling them full blown hypocrites didn't produce a good response but we friends a long time so being honest is part of that.

.
racedo is offline  
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 13:08
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,382
In some cases #brexiteer parents do have to do parts of the paperwork dance in order for their Remainer (or Rejoiner if they're not yet born) children to qualify for Irish passports. But I agree that, whilst they should do the foreign birth registration thing to preserve the rights of their children, it would be hypocritical in the extreme to go the rest of the way and apply for and use the passports.

No parent, however #brexiteer, should decide that their descendants should also be #brexiteers until the end of time, and deny them Irish citizenship by deliberately not bothering with a few hundred quid's worth of paperwork.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.