Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Yet another Mass Shooting - USA

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Yet another Mass Shooting - USA

Old 9th Nov 2018, 02:11
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 64
Posts: 59
Well, what do you expect when you go to a nightclub in downtown Afghanistan?

Armament rates among citizens are likely similar.

Forget about changing anything in the States. Never, ever, going to happen.
Gun sales will increase.
I have no problem with fine upstanding citizens playing with guns if that's their thing...............it's all the utter morons in numbers to amaze.
meadowrun is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 06:56
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 67
Posts: 895
Originally Posted by Hempy View Post
Iíll sum up the way this thread will go to save you coming back.


What about Chicago?
Not really happy with inconvenient truths, are you?
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:23
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: UK
Age: 43
Posts: 588
Another shooting in the States.

Once US citizens start giving a toss, then I will to. But this is a country that defends a bit of paper over, to take an example entirely at random, children being machine gunned at school.

Incredible that some many Americans are completely at ease with school massacres.
eal401 is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 11:28
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: England
Posts: 246
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
Absolutely no trace of shame whatsoever.

The pain of those 12 people's families is no more nor less than the pain of each of the hundreds of victims killed in smaller incidents every year.

Making a particular issue of this single incident is pointless when the relentless death toll continues unabated decade after decade.
The whole point about making an issue of mass murders is to attempt to persuade the American people that they should do something about their proudly held gun laws.

I assume that you are similarly ambivalent to the stabbings in London as well of course those millions who were killed in the wars.

Anyway. You have your views and have explained your point.

I on the other hand have mine which is 180 degrees opposed.
Buster15 is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:13
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by Buster15 View Post
The whole point about making an issue of mass murders is to attempt to persuade the American people that they should do something about their proudly held gun laws.
But they will not change them, and certainly not from outside influence.

I assume that you are similarly ambivalent to the stabbings in London as well of course those millions who were killed in the wars.
Irrelevant.
Guns are legally held in the US. Carrying knives is illegal in the UK, and actually enforced on the rare occasions there are sufficient police to do so.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:41
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
Guns are legally held in the US. Carrying knives is illegal in the UK, and actually enforced on the rare occasions there are sufficient police to do so.
More people have died in knife stabbings in London than in mass shootings in the US this year.
racedo is online now  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:57
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London/Fort Worth
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Squawk7777 View Post
Why need to address guns as a problem if you'll get the standard Republican "thoughts & prayers" bs.

Whats this about Republican BS?. Obama had 8 years to do something, including 2 years where the Democrats controlled all 3 strands of the Government. And what did Obama do? - he introduced 2 pieces of legislation on firearms, both of which relaxed gun controls.

So playing politics on this issue aint gonna fly..
BAengineer is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 12:58
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,577
Racedo

I do not wish to wade into the argument on either side but may I please challenge your facts?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-ma...is-year-2018-2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.c...this-year/amp/

Those articles will tell you there have been 307 mass shootings so far this year in the US. I didnít read far enough to find an exact casualty figure but Ďmassí implies many. And that doesnít include other gun related homicides.

There have been 117 fatal stabbings in London during the same period.

I think both are horrific and a sad indictment of both situations.

I have no clever answers and no agenda either way but please quote facts when presenting your argument.

BV
Bob Viking is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 13:02
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 3,660
328 deaths from mass shootings in the Us Vs 115 fatal stabbings.
C'mon Racedo...sort yourself out.
Thomas coupling is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 13:26
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
It's also worth pointing out that 'mass' shootings are by definition the killing of entirely innocent victims.
Many of the knife crimes in London are between gang members who are choosing to fight.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 13:29
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,791
An' they're not mass stabbings, neither! Add in the regular, one-off shootings and compare with the stabbings.

CG
charliegolf is online now  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 13:40
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 40
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
More people have died in knife stabbings in London than in mass shootings in the US this year.
Was that on your resume, when you landed a job in the Trump administration as a fact checker?
SMT Member is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 15:23
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
I do not wish to wade into the argument on either side but may I please challenge your facts?

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-ma...is-year-2018-2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.c...this-year/amp/

Those articles will tell you there have been 307 mass shootings so far this year in the US. I didnít read far enough to find an exact casualty figure but Ďmassí implies many. And that doesnít include other gun related homicides.

There have been 117 fatal stabbings in London during the same period.

I think both are horrific and a sad indictment of both situations.

I have no clever answers and no agenda either way but please quote facts when presenting your argument.

BV
Mass Murder rather than shooting as defined by FBI has killed 158 people in US this year.
racedo is online now  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 15:30
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
It's also worth pointing out that 'mass' shootings are by definition the killing of entirely innocent victims.
Many of the knife crimes in London are between gang members who are choosing to fight.
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/london-v...far-this-year/

Have you actually read who has died ?
racedo is online now  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 15:39
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,577
Racedo

Fair enough. Not as many deaths as might be expected from over 300 mass shootings. But 158 is still more than 117.

Both statistics are scandalous.

I for one respect Americans right to own guns but I just donít think they have the balance right. I have no idea how to address the problem.

As for the London problem there is very much a cultural aspect at play and, once again, I have no idea how to fix it.

I have travelled the US extensively (visited 32 states so far) and if thereís one thing that is very obvious. They all have their own identity. Except Delaware. I mean really. Whatís the point?! Thatís a joke by the way.

Trying to expect a Montana resident to work to the same rules as a Manhattanite is never going to happen.

As I said, I have no idea what the solution is but I wish the killing would stop.

BV
Bob Viking is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 16:00
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,800
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
Fair enough. Not as many deaths as might be expected from over 300 mass shootings. But 158 is still more than 117.

Both statistics are scandalous.

I for one respect Americans right to own guns but I just donít think they have the balance right. I have no idea how to address the problem.

As for the London problem there is very much a cultural aspect at play and, once again, I have no idea how to fix it.

I have travelled the US extensively (visited 32 states so far) and if thereís one thing that is very obvious. They all have their own identity. Except Delaware. I mean really. Whatís the point?! Thatís a joke by the way.

Trying to expect a Montana resident to work to the same rules as a Manhattanite is never going to happen.

As I said, I have no idea what the solution is but I wish the killing would stop.

BV
This was 37 events..............
racedo is online now  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 16:15
  #57 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,569
From one of the related YouTube clips that pop up was one of armed defence.

Two unarmed intruders entered a house and armed themselves with kitchen knives.. They disturbed a woman who woke, had a pistol, and challenged the intruders. She fired three shots and they fled.

A man, in a different bedroom immediately reacted and jumped out of bed gun in hand and ran to assist. It was all caught on the home webcams. A classic argument for guns in the home. Yes, I can see the risk of an Oscar Pretorius event as well.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 22:31
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: London/Fort Worth
Posts: 0
Just heard that there were 5 off-duty cops in the bar last night but they were all unarmed due to the strict anti-gun Laws in California that prohibit guns being taken into bars..
BAengineer is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 23:04
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
It's also worth pointing out that 'mass' shootings are by definition the killing of entirely innocent victims.
Many of the knife crimes in London are between gang members who are choosing to fight.
Wait! I couldn't use that argument so neither can you. We do have a shooting problem though.
FakePilot is offline  
Old 9th Nov 2018, 23:06
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling View Post
328 deaths from mass shootings in the Us Vs 115 fatal stabbings.
C'mon Racedo...sort yourself out.
Remember when the US had 40000 gun deaths and UK had 7 murders total?
FakePilot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.