Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 17th Dec 2018, 21:35
  #1561 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 784
I note JC has put forward a vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister.
Couldn't it force her out? If not I agree.... waste of time. If it could... well perhaps that could lead to the eventual collapse of the government? I'm speaking here as somebody who knows little about politics... so could be way off.
flash8 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 22:22
  #1562 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 325
May has put off the vote that she will likely lose until the middle of January, so that the government and parliament can all piss off for nice peaceful Christmas and new year holidays.

​​​​​​Meanwhile we the governed must obediently wait to find out what is going to happen to us, and the rest of the world continues to laugh their socks off at that poor sad old country that once used to be so proud and important.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 22:26
  #1563 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,431
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
This is a tactical ploy to relieve the pressure upon him to propose a vote of no confidence in the government.
Yup. The two of them are in it together, it's a joint plan to keep kicking the can down the road until we run out of time and crash out with no deal.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 08:17
  #1564 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 2
Perhaps so much damage has been done to Britain's international reputation, credibility and respect for good governance that the only way forward is for Britain to leave the EU without a deal and then make a success of the thing, thereby turning existing international perceptions into triumphant ones.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 08:17
  #1565 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
Yup. The two of them are in it together, it's a joint plan to keep kicking the can down the road until we run out of time and crash out with no deal.
It looks they have hired the ex Carillion board of directors as Brexit advisors.
Grayfly is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 08:21
  #1566 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
Yup. The two of them are in it together, it's a joint plan to keep kicking the can down the road until we run out of time and crash out with no deal.
Exactly what I thought. Corbyn, the arch Brexiteer, is in cahoots with the ERG, if not with May to achieve what he really wants - out of the EU, preferably with no deal.

How long it will be before his parliamentary party rebels remains to be seen. Hopefully a rump of them have the balls to do so before it's too late.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 08:23
  #1567 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
A rump parliament you say?
Sprogget is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 08:35
  #1568 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 325
Originally Posted by cavortingcheetah View Post
Perhaps so much damage has been done to Britain's international reputation, credibility and respect for good governance that the only way forward is for Britain to leave the EU without a deal and then make a success of the thing, thereby turning existing international perceptions into triumphant ones.
And how do we do that with leadership that can't even arrange an orderly exit from the EU?
Dream on ...
​​​
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 09:13
  #1569 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,428
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
And how do we do that with leadership that can't even arrange an orderly exit from the EU?
Dream on ...
​​​
I suspect one or two of those behind the leadership (with a knife in their hands) have never really been keen on an orderly exit.

It's probably too late for a Christmas order but I see the popular on-line shop has this available:

Blood In The Streets: Investment Profits in a World Gone Mad

by James Dale Davidson and William Rees Mogg....
wiggy is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 09:39
  #1570 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: one side of la Manche
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
I suspect one or two of those behind the leadership (with a knife in their hands) have never really been keen on an orderly exit.
Wiggy
A tad unfair. I think that they would be happy with 'an orderly exit' (ie an agreement with the EU on each others' residual obligations). But it could be argued that the current inter-governmental (EU-HMG) agreement is so unbalanced it leaves the so-called no-deal/crash-out as the only option for many.

Regards
Batco

Last edited by BATCO; 18th Dec 2018 at 13:45.
BATCO is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:03
  #1571 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by BATCO View Post
Wiggy
A tad unfair. I think that they would be happy with 'an orderly exit' (ie an agreement with the EU on each others' residual obligations). But it could be argued that the current inter-governmental (EU-HMG) is so unbalanced it leaves the so-called no-deal/crash-out as the only option.

Regards
Batco
If the the crashes out of the EU with no deal, and if that leads to a severe economic shock lasting more than about 6 months, then I don't think the electorate would easily forgive the current government, and however left wing Labour are, and however complicit their leader was in the crash out, Labour will gain power in an early election.

People aren't generally interested in the long game, even more today in our "instant fix" mindset, and 6 months will feel like an eternity. A severe crash is unlikely to be limited to 6 months, probably somewhere neared 2 years, probably more.

The stakes for the Tory party of allowing the Maoists (ref Lord Patten) in their party to call the shots are dangerous for their survival (but then again, not doing so may also prove terminal!). They are in an unholy mess; rocks and hard places come readily to mind.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:08
  #1572 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 325
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
If the the crashes out of the EU with no deal, and if that leads to a severe economic shock lasting more than about 6 months, then I don't think the electorate would easily forgive the current government, and however left wing Labour are, and however complicit their leader was in the crash out, Labour will gain power in an early election.
As I have been predicting for a very long time. People used to laugh at such an idea, but no longer.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:10
  #1573 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 67
Posts: 899
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:10
  #1574 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 2
The way you leave the EU without a deal is by doing absolutely nothing and that route doesn't really require leadership qualities so much as those of a quartermaster.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:11
  #1575 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
Interesting poll out showing the electorate's likely view of Labour enabling Brexit. It sees them fall to third place on 22% with the Lib Dems buoyed by Remainer votes moving towards 30%. Personally I think this understates the appeal of Vince Cable. OK he's a codger but as a lifelong Labour supporter he would certainly get my vote in such a scenario. They would be the only party with clean hands in all this.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:21
  #1576 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
Interesting poll out showing the electorate's likely view of Labour enabling Brexit. It sees them fall to third place on 22% with the Lib Dems buoyed by Remainer votes moving towards 30%. Personally I think this understates the appeal of Vince Cable. OK he's a codger but as a lifelong Labour supporter he would certainly get my vote in such a scenario. They would be the only party with clean hands in all this.
That would result in an interesting government. If as I suggested in my post above there were to be a severe economic shock following a no deal crash out on 29th March, and the blame pinned on Corbyn's Labour then the LibDems could garner even more support from pee'd off Tory and Labour voters, and with a bit more blue sky thinking, the likes of Soubry and Umuna chucked (see what I did there!) their weight behind the LibDems, even with our thoroughly skewed electoral system, the currently very slim possibility of a coalition, with the LibDems the largest party, could become a reality.

Unless May comes to her senses and as a minimum asks for the clock to be stopped on Brexit whilst the UK sorts itself out anything could happen. Of course, there's no guarantee the EU would agree to such a suspension of time for no better reason that the UK's elected politicians can't behave like grown ups and sort the problem out through consensus. They may finally lose patience and let the UK fall out - personally, I would if I were them!
ATNotts is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:25
  #1577 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 2
With its colourful past, its fast moving alliances of expedience, broken promises and the example set by its recently resigned leader, the Liberal Democrat party is in need of Swarfega rather than the votes of honest men.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:28
  #1578 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wilts
Posts: 126



Just reached chapter 7
DON T is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:37
  #1579 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
The only bar to me voting LD would be the wasted vote prospect. I have a feeling that this may soon be removed. The only alternative to the discredited main parties are the Greens. Most of them in my experience are out to a vegan lunch.

i have a feeling that we might find ourselves in an early 80's SDP déjŕ vu soon with May desperately spinning the globe in search of Falklands 2.0 as the only possibility of salvation. Now really is the time for all moderate Labour and Tory supporters to unite behind Cable.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2018, 10:40
  #1580 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by cavortingcheetah View Post
With its colourful past, its fast moving alliances of expedience, broken promises and the example set by its recently resigned leader, the Liberal Democrat party is in need of Swarfega rather than the votes of honest men.
You say that, but you got a thoroughly dishonest leader in charge of Labour, and an extremist to boot, propped up by a bunch of left wingers from Momentum; the Tories controlled by extremists from the right wing, supported by the aged right wing of the grass roots party, and then you've got the LibDems who, unless they get their way with a new referendum, will be able to say after a no deal crash out "it wasn't us guv". The SNP are in a similar position, but with the independence baggage. The DUP won't lose out at the ballot box, as their only policy is "we're protestant, so make sure that if you are too, you vote for us and keep the Papists out"!

The behaviour of the two main parties helps to explain how we get trump in the USA, and Orban in Hungary. I'm beginning to think the best thing for the UK at the moment would be a military coup!!
ATNotts is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.