Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 6th Dec 2019, 10:14
  #12001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver View Post
I didn't notice any Proportional Representation in China.
If one party gets 100% of the vote and 100% percent of the seats then that seems pretty proportional to me...
Avionker is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 10:53
  #12002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SAM. u.k.
Age: 77
Posts: 269
Yesterday,
Labour's Laura Pidcock: "We are NOT suggesting a 4 day week" "It's NOT in our manifesto" "You must have been getting that from a third party"

What is Labour proposing?

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell initially set out the shorter working week policy at the Labour Party conference in September:
"The next Labour government will reduce the average full-time working week to 32 hours within the next decade," he said.
denachtenmai is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 11:00
  #12003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 433
Whoever told you of a burning inferno must have taken you for a ride...
Same here ... and not even any litter, fly-posting or partly-burned pallets from campfires. Perhaps next weekend ...
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 11:41
  #12004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 18,147
Originally Posted by Avionker View Post


It’s not often I find myself in complete agreement with you Nutty, but this time you’ve nailed it.

There is one way to achieve this desired result you know? It’s called Proportional Representation.


Well thank you, it infuriates me whe you see some of the supposed improvements being made to the UK road system, smart motorways already under review as dangerous and unsafe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50169527

They have just completed one of the M1 sections near me and I have to say why? great concrete bases and structures along the route of the motorway with signs that distract and to tell me tirdness kills etc, all totally pointless, in this day and age simply legislate that all new cars have to have a GPS system as standard with audible voice warnings etc played through the entertainment systems etc warning you, make it all virtual... a couple of years down the road the whole country will be covered by it, not just a few areas, where they do speed limitation / flow control areas, use the system to reduce the cars speed, an overide should be possible in cases where you need to accelerate out of danger etc.
Planting concrete posts down the sides of out motorways are not needed, out of date with technology, not green, expensive, causes frequent delays during contruction and in an instant prevent the motorway system from ever being widened to increase the amount of lanes without having to take it all out again.

Heavy use roads, build another beside it, then make the original two lanes one way and use it as a dual carriageway, classic example of it working alongside Bassenthwaite from Keswick to Cockermouth.

Last edited by NutLoose; 6th Dec 2019 at 11:52.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 15:20
  #12005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 291
I am not a little intrigued to know where Corbyn's connections are acquiring their "Secret" leaked documents. If it is from a member of the civil service or someone within the conservative party then it just confirms that the organisations have more holes than a Swiss Cheese. On the other hand, if said documents have been lifted via a third country hack and passed back to parties of interest in the UK, should this not warrant an enquiry?

IG
Imagegear is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 15:44
  #12006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 2,109
Nut - why not just fix it so cars can't do more than 80 mph?
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 17:55
  #12007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 801
Anyone in need of a laugh (at Michael Gove's expense) should try this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/electi...s-phone-number
KelvinD is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 18:03
  #12008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 801
And here's another. A Conservative trying to make sure that Amber Rudd's majority from 2017 (346) will evaporate next week:
Of course, her comments were "taken out of context". They always are!
This woman seems to support the idea that those with learning difficulties should employed at wages below the minimum wage. How nice of her!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50684582
KelvinD is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 20:05
  #12009 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,730
Originally Posted by Asturias56 View Post
Nut - why not just fix it so cars can't do more than 80 mph?
You jest.

This morning on a 2 lane stretch of our strategic highway we got to a 50 mph section. Traffic in both lanes flowed freely at steady speed. Returning, after the corresponding limiter became 70, land 1 was steady at around 58 and lane 2 could barely reach 65.

Better a flat 60, both lanes, slower cars and tractors banned at certain times.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 20:26
  #12010 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,812
More dirty tricks from Ch4, After the recorded anti-Conservative diatribes from Jon Snow and the broadcast comments from their head of news, does anyone believe this wasn’t intentional? Or that the Conservatives weren’t right to refuse to appear on their election broadcast - or cooperate with the rest of the MSM till after the election?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s-johnson-clip
ORAC is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2019, 22:42
  #12011 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,812
https://order-order.com/2019/12/06/y...l-debate-5248/
ORAC is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 06:48
  #12012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Imagegear View Post
I am not a little intrigued to know where Corbyn's connections are acquiring their "Secret" leaked documents. If it is from a member of the civil service or someone within the conservative party then it just confirms that the organisations have more holes than a Swiss Cheese. On the other hand, if said documents have been lifted via a third country hack and passed back to parties of interest in the UK, should this not warrant an enquiry?

IG
I quote myself:

Hacked Documents

Obviously the Red Hot Line to Putin's Office is advocating interference in the UK electoral process.

IG

Last edited by Imagegear; 7th Dec 2019 at 07:15.
Imagegear is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 07:24
  #12013 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
More dirty tricks from Ch4, After the recorded anti-Conservative diatribes from Jon Snow and the broadcast comments from their head of news, does anyone believe this wasn’t intentional? Or that the Conservatives weren’t right to refuse to appear on their election broadcast - or cooperate with the rest of the MSM till after the election?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s-johnson-clip
Me.

The current Gov't has been directly responsible for creating and implementing policies which have been shown to be vindictive and flawed in equal measure. The same Gov't has also been responsible for instigating the UK leaving the EU and subsequently failing to create some form of amicable separation instead of which we now have impasse after impasse. thanks to a unique blend of arrogance and incompetency.

In addition to which, we have members of a Gov't, who, despite their veneer are skewed towards populist and even far right political ideologies and for whom leaving the EU represents an unprecedented opportunity to negate the beneficial legislation to protect millions of workers and their families irrespective of their occupations.

There is also the pure naked greed and ambition of Boris, an individual with, possibly, one of the worst political track records allied to his personal indiscretions in the UK's history. The "bumbling buffoon " persona, so assiduously created over time has served his ambitions well, but now, the flaws so long evident to many, are emerging as to what the future will be like should he and his party be elected back into Gov't.

C4 News is a public broadcaster and consequently, exposing the levels of deceit, the false promises, and indeed every facet of Gov't policy that deserves deeper scrutiny is very much in the public interest . The reluctance of members of the Gov't, and the open antagonism towards C4 suggests they are representing the public interest and in a manner that alarms the Gov't to the extent the only course of action and defence of their policies is to adopt the moral cowardice stance and refuse to appear on C4.

Meanwhile, here's Boris promising to waste another £550m.....of taxpayers money. Now I haven't a clue as to what the wages bill of the Premiership and for that matter the Championship clubs is, let alone the sponsorship and marketing deals, but, I would suggest the £550 m could easily be found from the revenue sources mentioned.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50695211

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 7th Dec 2019 at 08:38.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 09:34
  #12014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 801
Obviously the Red Hot Line to Putin's Office is advocating interference in the UK electoral process.
It would seem, on the face of what we read today, that the Red Hot Line must be connected to 10 Downing St (or perhaps the Cabinet Office). For once, Orac will not be able to announce a direct Moscow link to the Labour Party. Again from what we read today, the documents were initially sent to Reddit.
Re the leaked documents themselves, how can Boris stand there and claim the papers were all phoney and the claims contained therein were equally fictitious, when they were being waved in his face? Isn't that a bit like a kid putting 3 fingers over his eyes and saying "I can't see you so you can't see me"?
KelvinD is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 11:11
  #12015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 856
The "bumbling buffoon " persona, so assiduously created over time
Well, it seems that what we are now seeing from his increasingly stupid behaviour and utterances is that the "bumbing buffoon" is actually the real BoJo.

If he gets into power and the Civil Service is unable to do its customary work of delay and procrastination to defeat extremism in Government, may whichever Gods we pray to protect us all.

But I do believe that the Civil Service will manage him quite effectively. Only they can enact his policies, and if they are damaging to the country they will be quietly buried in the "commission a special report" black hole.
old,not bold is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 11:11
  #12016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,931
Boris didnít say they were phoney, he said they were misrepresented. Which they were.
ShotOne is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 11:16
  #12017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 433
But I do believe that the Civil Service will manage him quite effectively.
So Yes Prime Minister might have been a comedy of errors, but was based on truth and current practice ....
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 12:01
  #12018 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
Boris didnít say they were phoney, he said they were misrepresented. Which they were.
"misrepresented ", in political speak, means he said they were.

Of course, should you know differently, we await supportive links to show they were phoney after all.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 14:02
  #12019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brum
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Me.

The current Gov't has been directly responsible for creating and implementing policies which have been shown to be vindictive and flawed in equal measure. The same Gov't has also been responsible for instigating the UK leaving the EU and subsequently failing to create some form of amicable separation instead of which we now have impasse after impasse. thanks to a unique blend of arrogance and incompetency.

In addition to which, we have members of a Gov't, who, despite their veneer are skewed towards populist and even far right political ideologies and for whom leaving the EU represents an unprecedented opportunity to negate the beneficial legislation to protect millions of workers and their families irrespective of their occupations.

There is also the pure naked greed and ambition of Boris, an individual with, possibly, one of the worst political track records allied to his personal indiscretions in the UK's history. The "bumbling buffoon " persona, so assiduously created over time has served his ambitions well, but now, the flaws so long evident to many, are emerging as to what the future will be like should he and his party be elected back into Gov't.

C4 News is a public broadcaster and consequently, exposing the levels of deceit, the false promises, and indeed every facet of Gov't policy that deserves deeper scrutiny is very much in the public interest . The reluctance of members of the Gov't, and the open antagonism towards C4 suggests they are representing the public interest and in a manner that alarms the Gov't to the extent the only course of action and defence of their policies is to adopt the moral cowardice stance and refuse to appear on C4.

Meanwhile, here's Boris promising to waste another £550m.....of taxpayers money. Now I haven't a clue as to what the wages bill of the Premiership and for that matter the Championship clubs is, let alone the sponsorship and marketing deals, but, I would suggest the £550 m could easily be found from the revenue sources mentioned.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50695211
While Boris has his flaws, unlike you, many of us can see straight through Corbyn.

Shown to be an anti-semite terrorist-loving fantasist with a fairy-tale manifesto...
What could possibly go wrong...
Nige321 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2019, 14:15
  #12020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,886
Originally Posted by Nige321 View Post
While Boris has his flaws, unlike you, many of us can see straight through Corbyn.

Shown to be an anti-semite terrorist-loving fantasist with a fairy-tale manifesto...
What could possibly go wrong...
errr ....Mr Johnson could get a working majority in a few days?
wiggy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.