Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 15th Nov 2019, 16:08
  #11481 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Well, that didn't go BT's way but something BT have managed to retain control over is the connection to your house. As far as I am aware, you can not get broadband from any supplier if you don't have a BT land line and whether you use the BT phone or not (I don't), you are still billed for it.
Anyone can get a licence under the Telecommunications Act to provided their own physical connections to premises, and there are a number of independent companies that do so. For most of them it is only economically viable to work in areas of dense business or population.

In addition, Virgin Media provides its own fibre or fibre+coax connections to 3+ million premises.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 15th Nov 2019, 16:59
  #11482 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 956
The story so far......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...h-at-all-costs
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 15th Nov 2019, 17:37
  #11483 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
Anyone can get a licence under the Telecommunications Act to provided their own physical connections to premises, and there are a number of independent companies that do so. For most of them it is only economically viable to work in areas of dense business or population.

In addition, Virgin Media provides its own fibre or fibre+coax connections to 3+ million premises.
.. and let us not forget that Openreach is an entirely separate legal entity from BT now, complete with it’s own board of independent directors of which only the selection of MD can be vetoed by BT.
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 04:38
  #11484 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,923
So Corbyn wants British Leyland broadband by 2030? Woohoo!! If present communication technology was state-run, an iPhone would be the size of a fridge and we’d be conducting this thread by post.
ShotOne is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 05:44
  #11485 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 956
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
So Corbyn wants British Leyland broadband by 2030? Woohoo!! If present communication technology was state-run, an iPhone would be the size of a fridge and we’d be conducting this thread by post.



Love it ! classic JB

One contributor paranoid about should BT become, in part, renationalised, then by default "cos it's a Labour Gov't innit ! " phone tapping and monitoring of the populations communications will suddenly be enforced and now the somewhat surreal analysis of tech progress above.

But, the good news for Boris is that his puppet master, and the UK's de facto President, is due to lob onto these shores just before the nation votes. Apparently, it's to do with N.A.T.O.......... along with afternoon tea and cakes at that place at the top of The Mall.....but no doubt " H.M.V " will feel obliged to support his puppet and tell us as much

However, you read it first here on JB !....well sort of



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50440867

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 16th Nov 2019 at 06:11.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 05:48
  #11486 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,608
Labour upset about Sky.......

ORAC is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 07:39
  #11487 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 336
This week we witnessed another perfect launch by Elon Musk's Spacex which put 60 more starlink satellites into orbit. A system that will provide high speed internet to almost anywhere in the world without the need for cables.

Meanwhile Corbyn is planning on digging up the roads to install cables that will be outdated tech by the time it is due to be completed. As we always hear on here all projects are apparently over budget and over time so I think we can safely assume that this large scale install, manned by a highly unionised workforce will be no different.

The only future for this, if it were ever to happen, is a hugely expensive white elephant of a project installing outdated technology that nobody will want to use. The idea that, in a world where people are concerned about data harvesting and lack of online privacy, anyone would choose to use a sate run system, especially one run by Mcdonnells secret police, is laughable.The only thing that is appealing to his money obsessed followers is their favourite word 'free'. Anyone with any sense knows however that the phrase 'free for all' can only be a lie and will reject this as yet further proof that the the current Labour leaders have no place running a modern government in a fast changing world.
felixflyer is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 08:31
  #11488 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,862
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
So Corbyn wants British Leyland broadband by 2030? Woohoo!! If present communication technology was state-run, an iPhone would be the size of a fridge and we’d be conducting this thread by post.
Corbyn's error is not so much the part nationalisation of BT (Openreach I suspect) but offering free broadband to all. Having done that, and given every business and household free basic broadband, which in reality is quite acceptable for people's everyday needs they'll be confront by howls of complaint from people who thought they were going to get superfast broadband so they can stream their precious movies and TV, which of course is not a need but a want. In short, Labour would be making a rod for their own backs.

I don't entirely go with the "private enterprise is best" argument. That policy has got us where we are now, with big cities (big revenue areas) getting 5G whilst large chunks of the country have hardly any mobile signal at all. I don't think I'm wrong is saying that some comparable economies with much faster overall broadband speeds have national telecom businesses that are either in full state control, or in which the state has a substantial interest, and therefore influence on policy.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 09:35
  #11489 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 798
Sallyann:
In addition, Virgin Media provides its own fibre or fibre+coax connections to 3+ million premises
In fact Virgin connects all those subscribers via BT's cabinets. (Fibre to the Cabinet) so it is really only the last x yards that they provide the cable for

felixflyer:
Meanwhile Corbyn is planning on digging up the roads to install cables that will be outdated tech by the time it is due to be completed. As we always hear on here all projects are apparently over budget and over time so I think we can safely assume that this large scale install, manned by a highly unionised workforce will be no different.
When do you think anyone laid cables for broadband, or even telephones? As I said in my post, fibre to the cabinets already covers 90% of the country so very little digging would be needed. And of that remaining 10%, fibre would be replacing cables along the same ducts currently carrying copper cables. So, no large scale install. And how would a unionised work force imperil the nation? Is it wrong for workers to be represented by an association that ensures their employers don't put them on a zero hours contract overnight, with salaries being reduced to 2 ollies and a frog?
ATNotts: You are right on the "broadband for all" topic. I mentioned in a post some weeks ago that I didn't agree with a lot of the crying from some rural areas that they "must have" 4 or 5G when in many cases (perhaps 99%?) land line telephone services exist in their area. Agreed, land lines may not give them the high speed broadband they want but very few premises are totally incommunicado. On the other hand, an argument could be made for broadband to be available to everyone on the grounds that government is trying to make everybody use the internet in their dealings with government agencies.
I have seen some commentators suggesting that, should the government cover the running costs for the broadband network through taxing the likes of Google, Amazon and other, similar businesses, said businesses would up sticks and move out. For a shared cost of £230Million, they would walk away from £Billions worth of business? I hardly think so!
KelvinD is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 09:38
  #11490 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by felixflyer View Post
This week we witnessed another perfect launch by Elon Musk's Spacex which put 60 more starlink satellites into orbit. A system that will provide high speed internet to almost anywhere in the world without the need for cables.

Meanwhile Corbyn is planning on digging up the roads to install cables that will be outdated tech by the time it is due to be completed. As we always hear on here all projects are apparently over budget and over time so I think we can safely assume that this large scale install, manned by a highly unionised workforce will be no different.

The only future for this, if it were ever to happen, is a hugely expensive white elephant of a project installing outdated technology that nobody will want to use. The idea that, in a world where people are concerned about data harvesting and lack of online privacy, anyone would choose to use a sate run system, especially one run by Mcdonnells secret police, is laughable.The only thing that is appealing to his money obsessed followers is their favourite word 'free'. Anyone with any sense knows however that the phrase 'free for all' can only be a lie and will reject this as yet further proof that the the current Labour leaders have no place running a modern government in a fast changing world.
How you define 'high speed Internet'? Musk's system and its planned competitor/s will certainly improve on current satellite Internet services. But they cannot provide the growing demand for multiple channel HD TV, because the spectrum bandwidth is just not available. Urban and suburban areas will always need fibre. Satellites will however provide a useful service for rural areas that could compete on cost with installing fibre.

As for the lack of privacy, that remains the same regardless of who owns the network. The government of the day can legislate or covertly authorise interception regardless of whether Openreach is privately or government owned.
Remember also that any satellite broadband system owned by a US operator will be open to interception and control worldwide by the US government under their Patriot Act.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 09:44
  #11491 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 29
I gave JC's promise on this one about 1 seconds notice. As a Labour Party with the current leader will NEVER get into power it is not worth worrying about.

A helluva lot more scary is Alexander BoJo still in No10 after this farce of an election. We all know its totally about Brexit so its a referendum based on FPTP.

Best result is another hung Parliament until Labour and Tory see sense and ditch current leaders for moderates who will remove their extremist elements. Could take a while but the pendulum has to swing back sometime.
Grayfly is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 09:47
  #11492 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Sallyann:
In fact Virgin connects all those subscribers via BT's cabinets. (Fibre to the Cabinet) so it is really only the last x yards that they provide the cable for
Wrong. Virgin Media runs its own fibre network to its own street cabinets.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 10:10
  #11493 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: England
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by Grayfly View Post
I gave JC's promise on this one about 1 seconds notice. As a Labour Party with the current leader will NEVER get into power it is not worth worrying about.

A helluva lot more scary is Alexander BoJo still in No10 after this farce of an election. We all know its totally about Brexit so its a referendum based on FPTP.

Best result is another hung Parliament until Labour and Tory see sense and ditch current leaders for moderates who will remove their extremist elements. Could take a while but the pendulum has to swing back sometime.
The problem with this is, Momentum run the Labour Party. They would replace 1 Marxist with another.
Echo Romeo is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 10:47
  #11494 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 68
Posts: 0
Police investigating the alleged offer of peerages and jobs to Brexit party candidates to stand down. Potential offences could have been committed under the Representation of the People Act.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 12:31
  #11495 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Sallyann:
In fact Virgin connects all those subscribers via BT's cabinets. (Fibre to the Cabinet) so it is really only the last x yards that they provide the cable for
!
Sorry Kelvin you are wrong. I use Virgin and is fibre cable. It run all along the road and each property has an individual line into their house.

Just for info, when I moved into my current property, the previous owner had 2 telegraph poles in the rear garden. He had cut both of these down as BT/Openeach had refused to pay for them to be sited on his property.

I have just had a streetlight removed as they also would not pay me for being sited on my land. There is plenty of room on the pavement or borough property nearby.
The Nip is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 17:46
  #11496 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,305
The problem with this is, Momentum run the Labour Party. They would replace 1 Marxist with another.
Grayply was right in his suggested solution. The problem is that we are stuck with a voting system which actively works to prevent representative government. Johnson doing the bidding of his well-heeled subscribers or Corbyn being in hock to Momentum or McCluskey is never going to change until each vote cast has the same value as any other. The present system does not come anywhere near that - location is the major factor in vote value and that makes the system totally corrupt. Small interest groups control the major Parties through contributions/levies. That can only happen as long as political interests are 'grouped' . Declaring my interest, I was 72 years old before I could cast a vote which might influence an election result. I have asked again and again for those who quote 'Democracy' as the basis of some expressed viewpoint to define the word/term'concept but without a single reply. If you can't define it, how the hell can you claim it as an argument prop? Next time you hear or read someone's claim to Democratic values, particularly politicians, ask yourself how you think they define it!! So many of the viiews expressed are regurgitations of views culled from the various media - hardly an original, dispassionate offering anywhere.
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 16th Nov 2019, 18:09
  #11497 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 428
Cornish Jack

I fear you are tilting at windmills.....
Avionker is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 06:12
  #11498 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 956
As we know, weekend television is usually saturation coverage of how "the lads dun gud wiv a two oner and how dey give it 150 percenter "....aka the "beautiful game " which we are all supposed to revere above all else...

Ironically, a lot of the lads weren't actually waltzing around this weekend which allowed not one, but two, interviews of more than a passing interest to be aired..... and taken notice of.

Tonight's offering concerns Boris and a certain lady.....clearly Boris and chivalry may not be entirely compatible it would seem .....and, it's on ITV not the BBC......which may increase the JB viewing figures ......

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ne-night-stand

Other musical recordings with similar sentiments are available, however, Boris , being a Clash and Stones fan ( according to Boris, which probably means he isn't ) may not have heard of this quartet.....


Last edited by Krystal n chips; 17th Nov 2019 at 06:23.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 08:45
  #11499 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,305
Avionker - I'm sure you are right - too many powerful vested interests. More than anything, it's the hypocrisy of using 'Democracy' as the crutch for demonstrably undemocratic actions and viewpoints which bugs me. To paraphrase, "there are lies, damned lies and quoting ;Democracy'
Q. What do you call a donkey in Spain?
A. Oatey
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 17th Nov 2019, 11:31
  #11500 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 428
The first step to reducing the influence of those “powerful vested interests” is to get rid of the FPTP electoral system.

For as long as the UK effectively has a 2 party system, with the Government and the Opposition adopting diametrically opposite positions as a point of principle, the UK can never be a true democracy.

Proportional representation is the only way to fix British politics, but when offered the chance a few years ago the people said no.

Perhaps it’s time to ask again.
Avionker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.