Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 7th Oct 2019, 07:34
  #10881 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,689
As Scotch whisky is a premium product do you think for one moment it will affect sales? It will or or still be less expensive in the US.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 7th Oct 2019, 07:45
  #10882 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,491
POLITICO: ....Playbook hears from a senior government official that Jeremy Corbyn’s office has requested meetings with civil servants in advance of that now seemingly imminent election. Labour confirmed the meetings — standard practice for opposition leaders preparing for the possibility of government — have been sought, but there is no confirmation of a date in the diary just yet. The government official, however, said the prime minister, who by convention must sanction such talks, is more than happy to oblige.........
ORAC is online now  
Old 7th Oct 2019, 08:19
  #10883 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,827
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
As Scotch whisky is a premium product do you think for one moment it will affect sales? It will or or still be less expensive in the US.
It won't, certainly not at the quality end of the market.

Similarly to the Brexit argument over cars and how the Germans, in particular, will still want to sell cars to the UK after Brexit. At the higher end (BMW, Merc and the luxury end of VW and Audi) the market won't fall significantly, the punters, most of whom can probably afford it, will just shell out more to obtain the object of their desires. Sales of vehicles at the lower (volume) segment of the market may suffer, as people who might buy new perhaps can't afford to and simply hold on to their existing vehicles for longer.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 05:44
  #10884 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,491
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...tion-tjjtfmzzf

Jeremy Corbyn will split Labour by pressing for general election

Jeremy Corbyn is set to whip Labour MPs to vote for a general election as soon as an extension to the Brexit deadline has been secured, putting him on a collision course with many in his party who fear it will be crucified at the polls.

The Labour leader has twice ordered his MPs to vote down Boris Johnson’s calls for an election for fear that the prime minister could try to use the subsequent closure of parliament to pursue a no-deal Brexit.

However, in a speech in Northampton today Mr Corbyn will say that his party is “champing at the bit” to go to the country. He will tell Mr Johnson again that he can have an election, but only after a Brexit delay has been agreed.

The Benn act passed by MPs last month requires Mr Johnson to ask for an extension to the Article 50 exit process if he has not struck a deal with Brussels by October 19. However, he has repeatedly insisted that Britain will leave the EU by his October 31 deadline, “do or die”.

In his speech Mr Corbyn tells Mr Johnson that he cannot be trusted “not to break the law”, adding: “So it’s simple: obey the law, take no deal off the table and then let’s have the election. We’re ready and champing at the bit. There’s only one reason it hasn’t happened yet [is that] we can’t trust you.”

Many Labour MPs are desperate to avoid an election during a delay to Brexit and lobbied Mr Corbyn directly over the issue last week. Members of his shadow cabinet are also pressing him to wait until Brexit had been fully settled.

Last night Labour MPs predicted that Mr Corbyn would face a revolt within his own party if he tried to whip them to vote for an election. One said: “Opposition to a general election is widespread among Labour MPs.” Another questioned whether Mr Corbyn read the opinion polls, saying: “We are far behind in the polls, Jeremy is a liability and our Brexit position is a mess.”........

Last edited by ORAC; 10th Oct 2019 at 06:23.
ORAC is online now  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:30
  #10885 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 17,204
A human rights organisation has received more than £1 million in charity cash despite being run by self-declared Islamist revolutionaries closely aligned to Iran who say that the West is “the enemy” and Britain a “Stasi state”.
According to an investigation by The Times newspaper the Islamic Human Rights Commission (IHRC), which is supported by Jeremy Corbyn, speak of “apartheid London”, label anti-terrorism laws a “war on Muslims” and condemn English as a “colonial language that will always subjugate you”.
IHRC has condemned more than 50 countries for alleged mistreatment of Muslims. Its targets are Britain, the United States, Israel and Islamic nations such as Saudi Arabia and Egypt that have poor relations with Iran.
In an interview before he became the Labour Party leader, Mr Corbyn said that IHRC “represents all that’s best in Islam concerning the rights of individuals to free expression”.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...ran/ar-AAIxGgP
NutLoose is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 12:46
  #10886 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,827
I am at a loss to understand why Corbyn is so keep on calling a General Election after Boris Johnson has despatched his letter to the European Commission asking for an Art.50 extension.

There isn't a poll that has been published in recent months that suggests Labour could win an outright majority, if there is a likely outcome it is a small Tory majority, or a hung parliament in which the Tories are the largest party. Is he riding on the back of the unexpectedly good result Labour got in 2017, when young people swung behind Corbyn in numbers because they failed to understand that he is really an ardent leave supporter? I have news for him; that group won't be fooled twice, and many that were the first time around will be enlightening those 1st and 2nd year intakes at Uni not to be fooled twice - those votes, despite the tuition fees debacle of the coalition will most likely go to the LibDems.

If Corbyn really doesn't want to leave the EU with no deal, he needs to hold Johnson imprisoned in No.10, and impotent, until a deal is done. If he goes for an election the more likely outcome is a new Tory lead government that will try once again to leave with no deal, and we're back at groundhog day.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 17:29
  #10887 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 796
NutLoose: Given the UN's recognition of this organisation, I suppose that makes them pro-Iranian sympathisers too? Still, rather than just read the msn copy of a biassed Times piece of dribble, why not go their web site and read the email correspondence between IHRC and the Times scribbler? He pointed out that IHRC has criticised 50 nations but never Iran. IHRC responded with something along the lines of "and that means there are 145 nations we have not criticised".
KelvinD is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 17:30
  #10888 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
I am at a loss to understand why Corbyn is so keep on calling a General Election after Boris Johnson has despatched his letter to the European Commission asking for an Art.50 extension.

There isn't a poll that has been published in recent months that suggests Labour could win an outright majority, if there is a likely outcome it is a small Tory majority, or a hung parliament in which the Tories are the largest party. Is he riding on the back of the unexpectedly good result Labour got in 2017, when young people swung behind Corbyn in numbers because they failed to understand that he is really an ardent leave supporter? I have news for him; that group won't be fooled twice, and many that were the first time around will be enlightening those 1st and 2nd year intakes at Uni not to be fooled twice - those votes, despite the tuition fees debacle of the coalition will most likely go to the LibDems.

If Corbyn really doesn't want to leave the EU with no deal, he needs to hold Johnson imprisoned in No.10, and impotent, until a deal is done. If he goes for an election the more likely outcome is a new Tory lead government that will try once again to leave with no deal, and we're back at groundhog day.
And you think that is the answer to the problems facing the UK? Nothing can be achieved with BJ as a lame duck in No 10. (I am not saying he doesn't deserve this situation). Since it is so bad and everyone thinks he is useless, then get rid of him. Almost everyday for the last 2+years, Corbyn has been calling for a GE. Almost every media outlet has been making sure that if there is a story that can be used to pile on the pressure for him, it has been published.

Now you are suggesting that the public should not have any say on a Govt which may try to do something positive. Don't you think that the majority of the public can see and actually understand what is actually going on?
The Nip is offline  
Old 10th Oct 2019, 17:45
  #10889 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton
Posts: 514
and everyone thinks he is useless
Who says??
rogerg is online now  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 07:20
  #10890 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 951
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Who says??
Boris ............. has done for many years and continues to demonstrate as much unabated.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 07:54
  #10891 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,689
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Who says??
Andrew Neil for one and Tony Blair for another.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 08:03
  #10892 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,827
Originally Posted by The Nip View Post
And you think that is the answer to the problems facing the UK? Nothing can be achieved with BJ as a lame duck in No 10. (I am not saying he doesn't deserve this situation). Since it is so bad and everyone thinks he is useless, then get rid of him. Almost everyday for the last 2+years, Corbyn has been calling for a GE. Almost every media outlet has been making sure that if there is a story that can be used to pile on the pressure for him, it has been published.

Now you are suggesting that the public should not have any say on a Govt which may try to do something positive. Don't you think that the majority of the public can see and actually understand what is actually going on?
No it isn't the answer, but then again neither is another general election, until the Brexit farce has played out. Frankly, I believe that the best way out of it is for Johnson to get the best deal he can, which is in reality probably the May deal, and then hold a referendum on it, versus remain. We can then all decide on which is the least worst option and move on with a general election which may, just be able to get on with. No deal was never an option promoted by the leave campaign - I don't deny it might have been mentioned though and, if the majority of polls are to be believed the public don't believe that "no deal is better than no Brexit".
ATNotts is offline  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 08:32
  #10893 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Boris ............. has done for many years and continues to demonstrate as much unabated.
One example of Boris's uselessness...

Last month, Prime Minister Boris Johnson called for the release of Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe during a meeting with Iran's president.

In 2017, when he was foreign secretary, Mr Johnson had to apologise after saying she was in Iran "teaching people journalism" - despite her family's insistence she was there on holiday.
The lady is now held in a psychiatric hospital in Iran.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 08:32
  #10894 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,689
ATN, I think that is a more succinct proposal than Tony Blair's proposal that is more 'keep on asking the question until we get the right answer '.

Would it work?

Leave get a 2% margin, but the referendum is advisory and Parliament knows better?

Remain gets a 4% swing?

Apparently, according to what Andrew Neil said, a GE can be held in weeks but a Referendum only in months. He mentioned 21 weeks consultation and argument just deciding the question although Blair said that could be much shortened.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 11th Oct 2019, 08:38
  #10895 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
It won't, certainly not at the quality end of the market.

Similarly to the Brexit argument over cars and how the Germans, in particular, will still want to sell cars to the UK after Brexit. At the higher end (BMW, Merc and the luxury end of VW and Audi) the market won't fall significantly, the punters, most of whom can probably afford it, will just shell out more to obtain the object of their desires. Sales of vehicles at the lower (volume) segment of the market may suffer, as people who might buy new perhaps can't afford to and simply hold on to their existing vehicles for longer.
it would appear that the cheaper end of the market is going to vanish and it is nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with Euro 7 ( I think) emission standards that require the average CO2 emissions average 95 grams.

From 2021, phased in from 2020, the EU fleet-wide average emission target for new cars will be 95 g CO2/km.

This emission level corresponds to a fuel consumption of around 4.1 l/100 km of petrol or 3.6 l/100 km of diesel.

In order to achieve this , electric or hybrid vehicles will be needed to be part of every manufacturer’s range.

The long and short of it is that cars like the VW Up will no longer be sold. At least the base models as the margins are too slim. So you will not be able to buy cheap cars. Instead you will be up for about twice that price forced into an electric vehicle.

Harry explains it at around the 29 minute mark..

Foxxster is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 13:41
  #10896 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,292
I note proposals and enthusiasm for a General Election to sort things out. In terms of putting bums on front benches and providing a 'working' Government - it MIGHT do.
What it definitely WILL do is perpetuate the so-called Democratic system we labour under in the UK. For a supposedly 'Representative' Democracy, the results are hardly reassuring. As an example let's look at the 1983 election when the blessed Hilda Margaret had her 'Buggins moment':
Seats before 359 261 11
Seats won 397 209 23
Seat change Increase58[a] Decrease60[a] Increase12[a]
Popular vote 13,012,316 8,456,934 7,780,949
Percentage 42.4% 27.6% 25.4%
Swing Decrease1.5% Decrease9.3% Increase11.6%

Now I must admit to being no Marcus de Sautoy but I have some difficulty with reconciling those figures with any sense of even-handedness, fairness or however you may wish to term it. Admittedly that Election was chosen for a purpose - to illustrate the nonsensical claims of universal suffrage for Brits - Yes, you can vote, as long as we power brokers can 'regulate' the outcome.
As Tony Hancock had it ...
"Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?"
Unfortunately, it (GE) is not a matter of amusement - the country's future lies with a manipulated outcome.
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 15:40
  #10897 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,689
Just read a letter by Scottish whisky distilker

"This new 25% tariff (into USA) is significant. We will not be able to protect our loyal consumers in the US for ling. We expect to have to raise prices. . . "

Have I got it wrong, I thought the tariff was imposed on importers and not paid by exporters?.

While the US would pocket an additional $125m it does not follow that even that tax has to be passed on to the consumer. The distiller might cut his margin, and hence the tax take, the importer might trim his profit and only a market acceptable increase imposed at point of sale.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 16:22
  #10898 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Have I got it wrong, I thought the tariff was imposed on importers and not paid by exporters?.

While the US would pocket an additional $125m it does not follow that even that tax has to be passed on to the consumer. The distiller might cut his margin, and hence the tax take, the importer might trim his profit and only a market acceptable increase imposed at point of sale.
I'd say if the British distiller sells his whisky in the US, then he is the importer.
Any business is trying to make profit.
There is a limit to how much a producer can cut his margin in order to maintain sales volume.
No point in selling many bottles if you lose money on each of them.

Fly Aiprt is offline  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 18:36
  #10899 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,689
Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt View Post
I'd say if the British distiller sells his whisky in the US, then he is the importer..
No, the distiller is the exporter.

Eg: the EU is the largest importer of agricultural products from developing countries

Most profit is made at the point of sale as they probably have the biggest overheads. Imports from Scotland are much less expensive than the price in UK due to high taxation.

I think whisky in the US is a high status luxury product when compared with indigenous bourbon. I don't think high tariffs would be more than a temporary blip.
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 12th Oct 2019, 19:02
  #10900 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: French Alps
Posts: 326
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
No, the distiller is the exporter.
Depends on the perspective :
For instance my neighbour buys cars in Switzerland to resell them in this country.
He *exports* cars from Switzerland, to *import* them into our country.
For the Swiss he is an exporter. For the French, he is an importer.

So if your Scottish distiller sells his whisky in the US, he is a whisky *exporter* from the UK, and a whisky *importer* into the US, and should pay tariffs on his imports.
Of course, he can instead sell his whisky to someone who will play the importer role.
But the letter seems to imply that *they* are doing the sales in the US.

Fly Aiprt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.