Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 3rd Nov 2018, 07:50
  #61 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 903
Originally Posted by sitigeltfel View Post
That's where you're wrong kiddo !

The poll was conducted for them by Populus, a UK polling company. If any attempt had been made to massage or manipulate the figures, we would have heard about it. You just have to look at Populus's client list, including the British Army, to gauge their probity.

Nice try, but no cigar
Siti ol boy !

Would this be the same organisation that subjects the public to those random cold calls, much commented on and not in a positive way on here , and who are conveniently exempt from the TPS perchance ?

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about including the Army as a client exemplification either given the Army quite often has a lot to hide and prefers to present a public image which doesn't entirely reflect the reality of the organisation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_Ltd

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 3rd Nov 2018 at 09:45.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 09:40
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
It comes as a new Populus/BICOM poll found that 38% of Brits believe that Corbyn himself is anti-Semitic.
Boggle. What on earth do the other 62% believe and how on earth did they arrive at that conclusion?
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 10:06
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 67
Posts: 883
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
Boggle. What on earth do the other 62% believe and how on earth did they arrive at that conclusion?
The next few sentences in the article tell you what you don't want to hear.
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 12:31
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 311
Well I'm always happy to read anything that might help to keep Corbyn and company out of power. But I really don't think that there is a greater proportion of anti-Semites in the Labour Party than in any other.

From my experience, racists are spread pretty evenly throughout society. It's just that some groups are better than others at disguising it.

Of course, there are those who use the threat of calling anti-Semitism against anyone showing sympathy for Palestinians, which rather clouds the issue.
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 13:56
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,585
Originally Posted by sitigeltfel View Post
That's where you're wrong kiddo !

The poll was conducted for them by Populus, a UK polling company. If any attempt had been made to massage or manipulate the figures, we would have heard about it. You just have to look at Populus's client list, including the British Army, to gauge their probity.

Nice try, but no cigar
Bone Fide research companies, of which Populus is one make every effort to provide unbiased research, however he who pays the piper call the tune, and the client (BICOM in this case) will insist on questions being phrased in a way that gives then the best chance of getting the results they want to hear. Psephology is a science, and how question is posed, in which order multiple choice answers are presented, and even what answers are available to respondents will all have a bearing on the outcome of the results.

This is why, when reading the results of polls there are two questions that have to be asked. First, which organisation conducted the research, and second who commissioned the research.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 14:00
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,482
When a pollster approaches me in the street I always try to give them the answer that they want. You can tell by the smile on their faces.

It gives you a nice warm feeling.
Fareastdriver is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 14:15
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,585
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver View Post
When a pollster approaches me in the street I always try to give them the answer that they want. You can tell by the smile on their faces.

It gives you a nice warm feeling.
You don't know what answer they want, as you should never be told who the research is being done on behalf of. If you are, then it is not a piece of serious research.

Moreover, you will often find very similar questions asked in subtly different ways to mitigate against people who try and offer answers they believe researchers want to hear.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2018, 14:53
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by Fareastdriver View Post
When a pollster approaches me in the street ...
... I always assume that they don't know WTF they're doing. You get a random punter in the street, all you're doing is collecting data about random punters who were on that street at that time. Occasionally this is useful, but more often you want to know to whom you're talking so as to be able to do the sums to compensate for the various demographics etc.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 11:23
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 66
Posts: 58
Arron Banks on Marr this a.m. Came across as a pretty shady character IMHO Dodged all the relevant questions, threw up a smokescreen and crucially raised the issue of Remain supporting donors, effectively saying "Well they did it too". I would have thought that if you were clean then you wouldn't attempt this defence.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 11:53
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,482
The BBC isn't going to bring up any reference to dodgy Remain donations even if they exist.
Fareastdriver is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 14:39
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,871
I have no axe to grind for Mr Banks, effluent man. But itís surely a valid question why heís getting the whole nine-yards, yet itís OK for George Soros, amongst others to contribute very large sums without raising questions.
ShotOne is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 14:56
  #72 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 903
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
I have no axe to grind for Mr Banks, effluent man. But itís surely a valid question why heís getting the whole nine-yards, yet itís OK for George Soros, amongst others to contribute very large sums without raising questions.
No axe required.....watch C4 News and you may find he's far from the paragon you seem to assume he is. He's been, shall we say, under scrutiny for some time and he appears to have a lot of unanswered questions to contend with. Big friend of Nige as well, possibly not as much now though.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 15:27
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,871
ďThe paragon you seem to assume he isĒ. Youíre the one assuming; Iím not cheerleading for Banks. My point is why are remain donors exempt scrutiny.
ShotOne is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 15:56
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
My point is why are remain donors exempt scrutiny.
They're not. They've been scrutinised. The lack of any great scandal all over the media is because, well, because there wasn't any great scandal. (IIRC some minor paperwork cock-ups were discovered, of the type that you will find in pretty well every election if you look closely enough.)
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 16:38
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
They're not. They've been scrutinised. The lack of any great scandal all over the media is because, well, because there wasn't any great scandal. (IIRC some minor paperwork cock-ups were discovered, of the type that you will find in pretty well every election if you look closely enough.)
No great scandel could of course be directly linked to no great scrutiny, there does seem to be very little stomach for showing the Negative and dodgy tactics of the remain camp in mainstream medi whilst the Beeb especially positively falls over itself to give airtime to anyone that can shout loudly about peoples votes and direct thinly veiled insults at anyone who voted leave.
Gault is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 17:14
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,383
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
No great scandel could of course be directly linked to no great scrutiny
Can't quote chapter and verse but I was under the impression that the #brexit camp had made a number of complaints to the EC. Sure, the EC had to be dragged kicking and screaming into investigating the complaints against Leave - are you suggesting that there were no #brexit camp members prepared to do the same dragging wrt investigating Remain? "Politics is not a spectator sport."
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 17:57
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Hyeres, France
Posts: 287
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
No great scandel could of course be directly linked to no great scrutiny, there does seem to be very little stomach for showing the Negative and dodgy tactics of the remain camp in mainstream medi whilst the Beeb especially positively falls over itself to give airtime to anyone that can shout loudly about peoples votes and direct thinly veiled insults at anyone who voted leave.

You mean like why the BBC has never asked this arseh*ole to explain his Damascus moment.....

Hussar 54 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 18:00
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,871
In which case, whereís the investigation into the latest £400,000 from well-known British patriot George Soros?
ShotOne is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 18:12
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
ďThe paragon you seem to assume he isĒ. Youíre the one assuming; Iím not cheerleading for Banks. My point is why are remain donors exempt scrutiny.
If you mean Soros, as I assume you do, along with most other leavers up to & including Aaron Banks, then the key difference is Soros' donations as far as we know at this stage, were made publicly & outside of regulated campaign periods and therefore are not under the same scrutiny as Banks' £8m which he has so far singularly failed to account for up to & including his PR slot on Marr, whilst still managing to smear Carole Cadwalladr, various MP's, the electoral commission & others. The same point applies to leave's other favourite hobby horse, the government leaflet.

The law is the law & if, as I have been told ad nauseum, leaving the EU is all about taking back control of our laws, then at the very least, I expect those promoting that path to respect the law at the very least. Banks has questions to answer & the law must prevail.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2018, 19:06
  #80 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Brighton
Age: 65
Posts: 9,643
The Labour Party Branch too Moral to the Condemn Pittsburgh Murders ? Harry's Place

The Labour Party Branch too Moral to Condemn the Pittsburgh Murders
ORAC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.