Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:34
  #5281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by tescoapp View Post
Spain I suspect is going to go bang big time quiet quickly once the UK is out. Tourists numbers and cash down and a huge export market hammered by tariffs and supply issues.
Originally Posted by tescoapp View Post
Last year, what on earth has that got to do with this year when project fear has been telling people that they might need a visa and/or the airlines are going to have to stop flying after the 29th of March?
So first you tell us Brexit will kill Spain, and then half an hour later you tell us no, it was all project fear?
What are you on exactly?
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:36
  #5282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 234
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
What are you on exactly?
Why do so many people have to resort to insults?
Why not simply ask something like... "Which is it exactly?"
MFC_Fly is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:44
  #5283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by MFC_Fly View Post
Why do so many people have to resort to insults?
Why not simply ask something like... "Which is it exactly?"
Why is it an insult to ask what platform he is on?
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:46
  #5284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by MFC_Fly View Post
Why do so many people have to resort to insults?
Why not simply ask something like... "Which is it exactly?"
Yeah. I'd never refer to someone with a 25 year career in logistics as a 'van driver' for example.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:46
  #5285 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Sallyann, last year Spanish tourism increased. What has that to do with the potential collapse after 29 March? The potential collapse is project fear.

However i would agree that project fear may become project reality. People booking holidays now need to ensure their passports have more unexpired time. They are warned about green cards, IDP etc. They are told that flights might not fly etc.

Are people booking and hoping for the best out are they hanging back for bets? Personally we are looking at staycation but this is nothing to do with Brexit.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:51
  #5286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Sallyann, last year Spanish tourism increased. What has that to do with the potential collapse after 29 March?
Can't win for trying with some people. Either it collapses in which case brexit loonies point to the fragility of the EU & we were right to leave or it's project fear to be scorned.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:52
  #5287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: mids
Age: 54
Posts: 0
Riiiight. So now you believe project fear. So craven it's unbelievable.
I believe there has been a project fear running yes.

Do I believe it has worked changing peoples voting and views.... nope.

Will effect peoples holiday choices of where they go and what they spend..... hell yes
tescoapp is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 12:53
  #5288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Sallyann, last year Spanish tourism increased. What has that to do with the potential collapse after 29 March?
I've no idea what will happen after 29th. I was hoping the expert could explain, but even he seems to hold two opposite opinions at once.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 13:02
  #5289 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
Can't win for trying with some people. Either it collapses in which case brexit loonies point to the fragility of the EU & we were right to leave or it's project fear to be scorned.
Comprehension is clearly lacking.

That Spanish tourism increased last year is irrelevant.

That Spanish tourism may decline this year is project fear (not my words but from the post that Sally Ann was quoting).

Your conclusion after your irrelevant first sentence is correct.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 13:11
  #5290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Comprehension is clearly lacking.

That Spanish tourism increased last year is irrelevant.

That Spanish tourism may decline this year is project fear (not my words but from the post that Sally Ann was quoting).

Your conclusion after your irrelevant first sentence is correct.
I wonder if I should add up all the disparaging remarks you've made towards me just today? It would amuse me.

It's a shame you allow yourself to be blinded by such intense dislike. As one who has argued the leave side of this for forever & no, I do not care how you voted, the fact remains you can't have it both ways either tourism collapses as a result of Brexit & so look at how rubbish the EU is. which is absolutely the insinuation of Tescoapp's post or it doesn't & then it's project fear. That you can't see the contradiction in holding those positions simultaneously leads me to question your judgement. Again.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 13:31
  #5291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: mids
Age: 54
Posts: 0
Para if you want to bet your pension that your right go and buy some shares of some Spanish hotel groups. And then when I am wrong you can gloat that I missed out on a great investment opportunity.....

Personally I am OCD about protecting my pension capital so have absolutely zero exposure in Europe for the last 18 months now. And have zero intentions of taking any on.

It is projected fear. But it's up to the individual to decide if it's realistic or not.

Now what is it the average Brit spends 10% of their income on the summer holiday?

Intra EU flights Spain UK accounts for 14% of them you can check on the EU stats site .

So with the EU and UK and airlines saying that they don't know what's going to happen after the 29th for the last 2 years and still don't. Everyone is going to pay upfront 10% of thier income like they did last year. With the likely hood that the same cash in thier pockets is going to buy 10% less than last year.

And nothing is going to change?


tescoapp is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 13:52
  #5292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
It is interesting to read how the German automotive industry is in trouble. Much of their problems are self-inflicted with VW the main culprit with their emissions scandal. The effect is a major drop in diesel engine sales especially in Asia and the banning of many diesels from European city centres.

Now they are well behind US and Asia in electric car manufacturing. I read that French and German Governments are to pour billions in battery production. The UK is to pour in 246 millions for our battery development.
The German auto industry is suffering somewhat at the moment, much as the UK industry is. It's not principally Brexit so far as the German industry is concerned, but the slowdown in Chinese vehicle sales (that has also hit JLR hard) and Donald trumps misguided protectionism, where he believes that European (principally German) vehicle imports are a "threat to national security". How he works that one out I shall never know, but I suppose it plays well to the dim slavishly trump supporting bit of the republican party. Then as well as that there's the the diesel emissions scandal that has hit VW/Audi group hard, but of course that was of their own making.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 14:26
  #5293 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
s one who has argued the leave side of this for forever & no, I do not care how you voted,
I thought you were a remainer like me.

fact remains you can't have it both ways either tourism collapses as a result of Brexit & so look at how rubbish the EU is. which is absolutely the insinuation of Tescoapp's post or it doesn't & then it's project fear.
I was arguing the meaning of Tesco's statement. No contradiction.

You also missed the point that I agreed with your statement. What may confuse you is my criticism of emotive language by both remainers and leavers with remainers being marginally the more apocalistic.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 14:26
  #5294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spain
Age: 76
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
The German auto industry is suffering somewhat at the moment, much as the UK industry is. It's not principally Brexit so far as the German industry is concerned, but the slowdown in Chinese vehicle sales (that has also hit JLR hard) and Donald trumps misguided protectionism, where he believes that European (principally German) vehicle imports are a "threat to national security". How he works that one out I shall never know, but I suppose it plays well to the dim slavishly trump supporting bit of the republican party. Then as well as that there's the the diesel emissions scandal that has hit VW/Audi group hard, but of course that was of their own making.
Has Mr. Trump, who knows everything, forgotten the fact that B.M.W.'s largest factory is in the United States? Maybe he thinks that all the vehicles they produce are designed to bring down the 'Murrican' way of life!
kkbuk is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 14:34
  #5295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Spain
Age: 76
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
It is interesting to read how the German automotive industry is in trouble. Much of their problems are self-inflicted with VW the main culprit with their emissions scandal. The effect is a major drop in diesel engine sales especially in Asia and the banning of many diesels from European city centres.

Now they are well behind US and Asia in electric car manufacturing. I read that French and German Governments are to pour billions in battery production. The UK is to pour in 246 millions for our battery development.
To produce a battery for cars that we will not be able to make!
kkbuk is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 15:12
  #5296 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,570
Originally Posted by kkbuk View Post
To produce a battery for cars that we will not be able to make!
I think, without checking that the article mentions our inventions but our failure to exploit such inventions.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 16:12
  #5297 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 75
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by kkbuk View Post
To produce a battery for cars that we will not be able to make!
I told 'em Oldham . . .
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 17:04
  #5298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton
Posts: 510
To produce a battery for cars that we will not be able to make
Aren't JLR planning to make electric cars?
rogerg is online now  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 17:14
  #5299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 86
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Aren't JLR planning to make electric cars?
Yes, in their new 1.4 billion manufacturing plant in Slovakia.
DroneDog is offline  
Old 24th Feb 2019, 21:52
  #5300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Hearty guffawing from all sides.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...sources-reveal
Parapunter is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.