Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Breach of Trump restricted airspace in Scotland.

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Breach of Trump restricted airspace in Scotland.

Old 14th Jul 2018, 15:51
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: London,England
Posts: 1,285
Breach of Trump restricted airspace in Scotland.

Very lucky not to have been shot out of the sky, what an idiot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44832919
Max Angle is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 16:09
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Northampton, England
Age: 60
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by Max Angle View Post
Very lucky not to have been shot out of the sky, what an idiot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44832919
This is the UK not the US. Can you imagine the fuss if an unarmed demonstrator, even an idiot breaching a no fly zone, were killed?

Unless he looked like he had a weapon and was ready to use it the Police won't shoot and even if he looked threatening POTUS would have been hustled indoors. Fannying about with live discharges would be very last resort. .
Airbanda is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 16:13
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,207
It would be far more effective to perform a very low pass with an F16 over the idiot.
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 16:20
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: England
Posts: 263
Originally Posted by Airbanda View Post
This is the UK not the US. Can you imagine the fuss if an unarmed demonstrator, even an idiot breaching a no fly zone, were killed?

Unless he looked like he had a weapon and was ready to use it the Police won't shoot and even if he looked threatening POTUS would have been hustled indoors. Fannying about with live discharges would be very last resort. .
It's the UK not the US, sure, but POTUS is always protected by a US Secret Service detail, in any country. How did they really know that this was an unarmed demonstrator? Even though Greenpeace claim that they'd warned the police a few minutes beforehand, the message might not have got through. If this guy had had a weapon he could easily have killed somebody (probably not Trump) before being killed himself. What's the defence against this sort of potential assassin?

Last edited by OldLurker; 14th Jul 2018 at 16:21. Reason: typo
OldLurker is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 17:15
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Posts: 857
This is England, champion of democracy, freedom of speech, upholder of the law.
OK this appears to be an unlawful act, but is it any different to other demonstrations outside of the law.
Would a parachute be a violation of an air exclusion zone; a motorised parachute - unproven (not a registered aircraft). A radio controlled glider, how large, a paper aircraft, a party balloon (re Trump), ...
It could have been very exciting, it wasn’t, but the protest did achieve the desired result. Now for the trial and upholding of Scottish law; if they find the pilot. I wonder how hard the authorities (nb Scottish First Ministers view) might investigate.




PEI_3721 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 17:19
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: FL, USA
Posts: 2,418
What's the defence against this sort of potential assassin?
Flying a paraglider?
How about a handgun? A double barrel Shotgun even?
How could he even get close to a leader of State?

Yes he could cut the engine and glide in at night but this isnít Mission Inpossible you know.
Bit of an ignorant question.

And I wouldnít call him an idiot, I think itís quite brave really and showing the European Ďspirití.
B2N2 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 17:44
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,494
Originally Posted by PEI_3721 View Post
This is England...

Bloody isnít. 😝
Daysleeper is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 17:53
  #8 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: London,England
Posts: 1,285
How could he even get close to a leader of State?
Looking at the video, he got very close, he seems to be flying by as Trump is entering the building. Close enough
for a head to roll somewhere in the security organisation I suspect.

Would a parachute be a violation of an air exclusion zone
Below is the text from the briefing sheet so yes, this was covered by the restriction.

In relation to regulation 3, the term ‘aircraft’ includes aircraft as classified by Part 1 of Schedule 4 to the Air Navigation Order 2016. It also includes, by virtue of article 23 of that Order, any small balloon, any kite weighing not more than two kilograms, any small unmanned aircraft and any parachute including a parascending parachute

Last edited by Max Angle; 14th Jul 2018 at 18:12.
Max Angle is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 18:04
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Canadian Shield
Posts: 536
We'll never know, but I'd be curious as to how many cross-hairs were trained on the guy during his stunt.

Either way, Terrorists everywhere will observe and take note.....
er340790 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 18:05
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: world
Posts: 3,425
Come on now, it was only Trump after all. What's all the fuss?!
Hotel Tango is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 19:15
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: England
Posts: 857
Thanks Max Angle #8.

Assuming that the exclusion order was imposed by the U.K. CAA, then presumably any prosecution would have to be taken out under ‘UK’ Law. However, as the incident took place in Scotland might there be a precedent for prosecution under Scottish law. If so what might the implications be?
PEI_3721 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 19:26
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 142
It is The Procurator Fiscal not the CAA who decide whether or not it is in the Public's interest to prosecute.
gordon field is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 20:12
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: LHR
Posts: 416
It was a very funny sight. Just another hilarious addition to 'Circus Trump'.
Magplug is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 20:40
  #14 (permalink)  

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England
Age: 73
Posts: 3,015
If the ANO hasn't changed since I retired; "within 500' of any person, vehicle, vessel or structure"
Herod is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 20:44
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 50
Posts: 1,440
I'd say he is very lucky to be alive.
If the president was indeed nearby and in potential weapon range I would have been very keen to blast him out of the sky. Sure they warned beforehand but I really really hope they have some protocol to assert the identity of the caller. A sucide killer can also claim to be a peaceful demonstrator!
atakacs is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 20:50
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Isla Grande
Posts: 851
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
It would be far more effective to perform a very low pass with an F16 over the idiot.
Over whom?
gearlever is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 20:51
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Isla Grande
Posts: 851
Talking

Originally Posted by Hotel Tango View Post
Come on now, it was only Trump after all. What's all the fuss?!
Absolutely Priceless
gearlever is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 21:00
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: same planet as yours
Posts: 249
What surprises me most is that no airborne (helicopters) assets were patrolling in the area or on 'hot' standby to 'intercept & identify' any airspace intruders or in this case at least track it down to its landing spot.
DIBO is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 21:01
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 530
Originally Posted by OldLurker View Post
It's the UK not the US, sure, but POTUS is always protected by a US Secret Service detail, in any country. How did they really know that this was an unarmed demonstrator? Even though Greenpeace claim that they'd warned the police a few minutes beforehand, the message might not have got through. If this guy had had a weapon he could easily have killed somebody (probably not Trump) before being killed himself. What's the defence against this sort of potential assassin?
During previous presidential visits to Australia it has been maintained by Australian government spokespersons that the presidential protection unit (ATF??) is NOT permitted to carry firearms while in Australia.
The responsibility for providing armed protection lies with the Australian government, not with foreign agents.

Whether that is accurate or not is another matter.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 22:04
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Northampton, England
Age: 60
Posts: 335
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
During previous presidential visits to Australia it has been maintained by Australian government spokespersons that the presidential protection unit (ATF??) is NOT permitted to carry firearms while in Australia.
The responsibility for providing armed protection lies with the Australian government, not with foreign agents
I'd suspect similar in UK. If trigger happy member of US Secret Service detail shoots innocent UK civilian demonstrator who, however foolhardy his actions, is unarmed then SS man could and should be subject to UK Law and potentially manslaughter or murder charge.
Airbanda is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.