Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

MH370 Search Progress Reporting (and not)

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

MH370 Search Progress Reporting (and not)

Old 18th Apr 2018, 15:35
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 151
MH370 Search Progress Reporting (and not)

The Malaysian government maintains a web page with links to the official weekly progress reports on the latest MH370 search.

Here is a link to that page:

http://mh370.gov.my/en/mh370-underwater-search-2018

When the search started in early February, there were no government officials on the search vessels, and Ocean Infinity was reporting progress on an almost daily basis. That ended when they reported that one of more Malaysian government representatives would be joining them.

This web page replaced that. Each week, it provided two reports, one in Mandarin the other in English, in pdf form. The reports are informative and each is roughly 5 pages long.

So far, 10 pairs of reports have been issued, from February 6 to April 10.
At first, they were coming out every Tuesday morning just as planned. But for these last four Tuesdays, the site has gone down twice for several hours and in the past 2 Tuesdays, all Tuesday.

The Ocean Infinity site also publishes weekly info - but it seems to be based on these official weekly releases: it always comes out after the official release and they contain less info that the official releases.

So that brings us to today...

This morning I was able to get onto the web page described above. And yesterdays report was not listed. But with a 10-week history of reports, it's not hard to figure out what the URL is for the PDF file.

So I typed it in:
http://mh370.gov.my/en/mh370-underwa...nglish-version

... and it asked me for my username and password !?!

Now, if one was of a suspicious nature...

But before we get too excited, over the past month they have clearly been struggling with the maintenance of this web page. That login request is at least as likely to reflect a web site maintenance issue as anything else.

By the way: Based on the report from 8 days ago, their search is making good progress. They have completely searched (and found nothing) in the initial search zone and had moved on to the two "$70M" zones.

Last edited by .Scott; 18th Apr 2018 at 18:12.
.Scott is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2018, 15:37
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 61
Posts: 5,621
Scott, thanks for the update, glad to see that a little bit of public info is available on this search.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 19th Apr 2018, 11:42
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 151
Today their site is up and running smoothly.
There is report for the period ending April 15, the one that was scheduled for release on the 17th.

This is the first time in 11 weeks that they have flat out missed a weekly reporting.
.Scott is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2018, 12:44
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 151
The weekly report is out - three days late.
It shows the search in sites 1 and 2 complete (nothing found).
It shows the search in site 3 has started (as of April 15).
And a surprise: they have extended the planned search zone North East along the "8th arc" to a new "site 4".
.Scott is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2018, 17:46
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 450
I believe Site 4 includes the track that would have been followed if the autopilot had been set to fly to the South Pole after entering the Indian Ocean. So it's good that they're planning to search there, as it's been a strong candidate in some quarters for years.

If I remember correctly, that location is also consistent with the bang heard by listening devices in the ocean, though the times don't match. Unless that was something imploding on the seabed after the crash.

Either way, if this search doesn't find the wreckage, we're probably not going to find it until we can flood the ocean with UAVs sometime in the future.
MG23 is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2018, 10:15
  #6 (permalink)  
Man Bilong Balus long PNG
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Now officially on Life's scrap heap, now being an Age Pensioner and not liking it one little bit! I'd rather be flying but in the meantime still continuing the never ending search for a bad bottle of Red!
Age: 66
Posts: 2,619
I am still firmly of the opinion that it will never be found, simply because there are certain 'authorities' who do not want it found!
Pinky the pilot is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2018, 13:17
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 50
Posts: 832
I am still firmly of the opinion that it will never be found, simply because there are certain 'authorities' who do not want it found!
Who exactly? I'm not disputing your theory, as I am not sure what its is

My thoughts are that it was a bit unfair to say that it was a deliberate act by the Captain, as has been implied, as no suggestive evidence has been found, and even if there had, it is nowhere near conclusive in any shape or form.
flash8 is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2018, 16:10
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 123
Originally Posted by Pinky the pilot View Post
I am still firmly of the opinion that it will never be found, simply because there are certain 'authorities' who do not want it found!
I agree with your sentiment. I believe that 'someone' knows, but is unwilling to give away the fact that they have the capability to do it for fear of letting others know. Just my HO.
The Nip is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 00:31
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Canberra
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Pinky the pilot View Post
I am still firmly of the opinion that it will never be found, simply because there are certain 'authorities' who do not want it found!
I suspect you are right.

Once Angus Houston was put in charge of the S&R operation, suddenly everything became "top secret" and no information at all was released to the public.

I've always wondered about the pings the Chinese vessel Haixun 01 heard, which all of a sudden couldn't be detected any more as well.
Dee Vee is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2018, 05:35
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Europe
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by flash8 View Post
Who exactly? I'm not disputing your theory, as I am not sure what its is

My thoughts are that it was a bit unfair to say that it was a deliberate act by the Captain, as has been implied, as no suggestive evidence has been found, and even if there had, it is nowhere near conclusive in any shape or form.
Few days after the crash when everybody was giving theories I realized that every theory had a weak point. When one destroys a plane for his reason, there are some reasons behind which do appear sooner or later. Here the captain was checked and cleared. The only reference I have heard to support this theory is that his calendar was empty after March 8 2014 but that was on not a very reliable site.
Rwy in Sight is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 12:57
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lower Silesia
Age: 74
Posts: 28
There never was any mystery about what happened. It was ever a 2+2=4 exercise. ( tinyurl.com/or9bzf2 )
WeeWinkyWilly is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 13:15
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 356
As always there are too many crackpot theories.
​​​
My favourite is that the crew were disabled by a leak from the Chemtrail tanks. The crash site was found in the jungle but covered up to conceal the evidence.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 15:18
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on a blue balloon
Posts: 366
It's well known (true) that Boeing patented a system to control a flight from the ground.
I don't know on which flights (if any) they tested it.
it's possible that MH370 headed in part towards the airport codes of PEK, PEN, PEW & PER.
If correct, to chance on this 'PE' code alphabetical order is more than amazing.
I'm just repeating what others have observed before me. Nothing new.
If I were a detective, that would interest me.

Last edited by oldchina; 29th Apr 2018 at 15:39.
oldchina is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 16:34
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 55
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by WeeWinkyWilly View Post
There never was any mystery about what happened.
Really? One wonders why so much time and money has been expended on the investigation when all that was needed was to add 2 and 2 together.......

Seriously. It was and remains a mystery. And unless they can find the wreckage and retrieve the flight recorders it will remain so. In the meantime, all we can do is speculate.
Andy_S is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 19:19
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 450
Originally Posted by Rwy in Sight View Post
The only reference I have heard to support this theory is that his calendar was empty after March 8 2014 but that was on not a very reliable site.
That and his PC reportedly having flight simulator logs showing him flying off into the wilds of the Indian Ocean. Not that it's more than circumstantial evidence either, because I'm sure I have plenty of flights on mine when I started off flying somewhere and quit in the middle of the ocean.

But, as you say, every single theory so far has holes. That's why we want to find the wreckage and hopefully find out what really happened.
MG23 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 00:49
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 65
Posts: 2,996
Personally, I have little doubt it was an intentional act - but not necessarily by the captain. My theory is it was a hijack/hostage taking that went badly wrong (e.g. someone depressurized the cabin to prevent interference but inadvertently killed everyone) - then rather than face the music they pointed the aircraft to the middle of nowhere to hide the evidence.
tdracer is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:32
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lower Silesia
Age: 74
Posts: 28
andy S said:
Originally Posted by WeeWinkyWilly
There never was any mystery about what happened.
Really? One wonders why so much time and money has been expended on the investigation when all that was needed was to add 2 and 2 together.......Seriously. It was and remains a mystery. And unless they can find the wreckage and retrieve the flight recorders it will remain so. In the meantime, all we can do is speculate.
If you'd bothered reading what was there at the site at tinyurl.com/or9bzf2 (and its links), you'd have noted that all aspects of the MH370 mystery were addressed and explained quite lucidly - without any outlandish nonsense. But of course, that would take too much of your valuable time. It is actually the party line that will be followed by Nolan Law of Chicago and the British Lawyers Stewarts Law LLP (although the latter firm is still being quite coy about it). A few others (BradlyBaylys for instance, and Shine) will be getting onboard with the larger firms.

Last edited by WeeWinkyWilly; 30th Apr 2018 at 10:38. Reason: bad keyboard
WeeWinkyWilly is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 11:30
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 55
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by WeeWinkyWilly View Post

If you'd bothered reading what was there at the site at tinyurl.com/or9bzf2 (and its links), you'd have noted that all aspects of the MH370 mystery were addressed and explained quite lucidly - without any outlandish nonsense.


I did. It reached a conclusion which absolutely cannot be proven. And that was my point Ė you speak about the disappearance of MH370 as if the cause was self-evident. It most certainly isnít.
Andy_S is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 13:01
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brum
Posts: 731
Originally Posted by WeeWinkyWilly View Post
There never was any mystery about what happened. It was ever a 2+2=4 exercise. ( tinyurl.com/or9bzf2 )
Well that has to be one of the most user-un-friendly websites I've ever had the misfortune to visit.
Talk about making a scenario fit...
Nige321 is online now  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 20:33
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hotel Sheets, Downtown Plunketville
Age: 73
Posts: 0
That the search continues is not a subject that invites a great deal more discussion on this topic. That which I would suggest might, is what has been done to ensure that when another goes missing, it is found, pronto. I am told all these super duper mobile phones, pads and things are totally unnickable as they can be traced instantly. Mine is non- stroke- press- button type, often lost. All I do is call my number, turn the volume up on my hearing aid and l there it is in my coat pocket.
Chronus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.