Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Sergei Skripal

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Sergei Skripal

Old 1st Jul 2019, 15:42
  #3141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Complex is a bit of an understatement. He's a convicted drug dealer and thief, and a known heroin addict, amongst other things. I doubt that he's very reliable, TBH.
Thank you VP959, youíve listed exactly what my Salisbury connections who have had direct dealings with him have also said.
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:29
  #3142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 412
Just seen this on the local news here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-48843589

For those that aren't aware, one of the major cuts in Salisbury a few years ago was to close the police station and move all the local police officers into the Wiltshire Council building, sharing open plan offices with the council. One consequence of this has been that the police also use the council's network connectivity, so this cyber attack may well have been aimed at penetrating the police operations in Salisbury, rather than those of the council.

A side effect of the closure and sale for redevelopment of Salisbury Police Station has been that there are fewer arrests in Salisbury now, as if an officer makes an arrest that means that two officers have to travel, with the arrested person, to Devizes (about 40 minutes away) in order to process them etc. In effect any arrest takes two officers away from Salisbury for most of a shift (this was relayed to me by a neighbour, who is a police officer based in Salisbury).
VP959 is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 12:53
  #3143 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 77
Posts: 1,866
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
For those that aren't aware, one of the major cuts in Salisbury a few years ago was to close the police station and move all the local police officers into the Wiltshire Council building, sharing open plan offices with the council.

A side effect of the closure and sale for redevelopment of Salisbury Police Station has been that there are fewer arrests in Salisbury now, as if an officer makes an arrest that means that two officers have to travel, with the arrested person, to Devizes (about 40 minutes away) in order to process them etc. In effect any arrest takes two officers away from Salisbury for most of a shift.
This has happened in our area.
We used to have a police station, two police houses, a sergeant and three police officers - non of which remain.
For a while we were served from a nearby town, which has also lost its police station.
Now we fall under the regional police station (which only operates 9 to 5).

We rarely see police unless they are passing through in a vehicle.
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 13:31
  #3144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 56
Posts: 906
Going a bit OT here, but how much money did Wilts Police throw down the pan investigating historical allegations against a long dead former Prime Minister?
Andy_S is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2019, 16:19
  #3145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 13,263
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
This has happened in our area.
We used to have a police station, two police houses, a sergeant and three police officers - non of which remain.
For a while we were served from a nearby town, which has also lost its police station.
Now we fall under the regional police station (which only operates 9 to 5).

We rarely see police unless they are passing through in a vehicle.
Ah, but just think how much cheaper your council tax is.
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 06:56
  #3146 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,163
https://www.politico.eu/article/trum...l-weapons-use/

Trump to sanction Russia over chemical weapons use

U.S. President Donald Trump has signed an executive order imposing sanctions on Russia for its use of chemical weapons in the 2018 attack on the Russian double agent Sergei Skripal and his daughter, according to two U.S. officials.

The Trump administration imposed a round of sanctions last year, as required by a 1991 law. The same law requires the president to impose a second round of sanctions if he cannot determine that the state in question has stopped using chemical weapons ó and U.S. intelligence agencies were unable to make that determination with regard to Russia, which continues to deny responsibility for the attack on the Skripals.

But the president, who has been loath to antagonize Russian President Vladimir Putin, dragged his feet on imposing the second round of sanctions........

Trump was moved to impose the fresh round of sanctions by a bipartisan letter sent to the White House earlier this week from the leaders of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, Representatives Eliot Engel (Democrat-New York) and Michael McCaul (Republican-Texas). The Chemical and Biological Weapons and Warfare Elimination Act, they wrote, "mandated the second round of sanctions to be imposed within three months, yet well over a year has passed since the attack. Therefore, we urge you to take immediate action to hold Russia fully accountable for its blatant use of a chemical weapon in Europe.Ē

The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The State Department and the Treasury Department had the sanctions package ready in late March, Reuters reported, but they have been waiting since then for the presidentís sign-off.......





ORAC is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 09:36
  #3147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 1,771
And the madness continues...
I thought we had pretty much a consensus about this not being a sanctioned hit. As for the agent itself it was traced to a 30 years old batch produced in Uzbekistan (then USSR of course) with pretty much no traceability since.
There is obviously a neocon agenda pushing for confrontation with Russia, no matter what.
atakacs is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 10:31
  #3148 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,163
No doubts about Russian culpability - and cover-up of the perpetrators. Also no neocon agenda, the pressure being bipartisan and from the appropriate Congressional committee and government departments.

Doesnt take long for the trolls to start their disinformation campaign though, does it?
ORAC is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 11:54
  #3149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 56
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Doesnt take long for the trolls to start their disinformation campaign though, does it?
Well, since one of their number is currently unavailable, someone has to step up to the plate......
Andy_S is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 12:04
  #3150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
No doubts about Russian culpability - and cover-up of the perpetrators. Also no neocon agenda, the pressure being bipartisan and from the appropriate Congressional committee and government departments.

Doesnt take long for the trolls to start their disinformation campaign though, does it?
Thanks for making my point!

Last edited by atakacs; 2nd Aug 2019 at 18:19.
atakacs is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 13:34
  #3151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by atakacs View Post

Thank for making my point!
I sympathise with you. After all you are only doing your job.

Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 13:53
  #3152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: europe
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
I sympathise with you. After all you are only doing your job.
Just like you, I guess
arketip is offline  
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 18:20
  #3153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 1,771
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
I sympathise with you. After all you are only doing your job.
Could you kindly forward me the GRU contacts where I apply for my cheque ?
atakacs is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 16:21
  #3154 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: yes
Posts: 175
It's always interesting to check into this thread to see if I can spot the Russian trolls and their apologist fellow travellers. The sort of people who are prepared to defend Putin's fascist regime. Witness today's break up of a peaceful protest in Moscow.
Still plenty around I see. I hope you are getting paid because your attitudes are unconscionable and deeply cynical.
Steepclimb is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 19:58
  #3155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 74
Posts: 820
Steepclimb: Yet another hysterical post! Who exactly are these Russian trolls? Name and shame them. Are you perhaps the ghost of Joe McCarthy, risen from the grave? Your post certainly read like something one would have expected from him. Reds under the bed, what?
I know you will certainly overlook this, so I shall repeat: I am not a pro-Russian sympathiser, apologist etc. However, I do believe in fair play and the principle of 'Innocent until proven guilty'. And in this case we have had volumes from your fellow travellers, telling us how the Russian government were 100% for certain behind this and other 'plots'. Yet, until now, not a scintilla of evidence has been produced. If Mrs May was so absolutely certain, why has she not produced the evidence? I realise she could not have gone to Peckham Police Station in the hope of getting a charge and a conviction. She could have gone via the U.N. though. Surely, all she would need do would be to lay all the "evidence" she has before the Security Council and have them take it up with the Russian government. Until the UK government do this, we must assume there is no concrete evidence and therefore the Russians are not guilty thus far. I say "thus far" as I have no idea whether or not the government can find the appropriate hat and pull a rabbit from it. If our government could do this, I would support them.
Meanwhile, calling anyone who questions the government should not be called 'Russian Trolls'.
So, a peaceful protest was broken up in Moscow. Has that never happened here? We are only 2 weeks away from the 200th anniversary of Peterloo. And a mere 35 years on from the barbarity displayed during the miners strike.
Perhaps it wold be a good idea to refrain from calling posters by any names while wait for the clear, overwhelming evidence that anyone is guilty of anything. Shouting "Troll" at anybody who dares disagree with your opinion hardly does credit either to this forum or yourself.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 20:32
  #3156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 412
KelvinD You're right to highlight the nature and extent of the evidence in this case. This is what we know, beyond any reasonable doubt, and what we have in the form of circumstantial evidence:

1. The attack used a chemical agent, A234, that was from a specific batch, manufactured in the former Soviet Union as a part of their Foliant programme, most probably at Shikhany, some time in the late 1970s. The identification of the agent used has been confirmed by four independent OPCW labs.

2. At the time of the attack on the Skripals, two men, who have been positively identified as members of the Russian security service, were seen in several locations in Salisbury, including one close to the Skripal's home, as well as in a London hotel, where traces of the same chemical agent were found.

3. The two members of the Russian Security Service appeared on Russian TV and explained that their visit to Salisbury, on the day after the "Beast from the East" snow storm, was only sight seeing. They were there to look at the famous Salisbury cathedral spire, which, as they stated, when interviewed on TV, is 123 metres high.

4. A bottle, labelled as being perfume, but containing the same A-234 as used in the Skripal attack, was discovered not far from a place in Salisbury where the two Russians were known to have been, by a drug addict. He gave it to his girlfriend, who apparently sprayed some on her wrist, collapsed, and died.

Do we have incontrovertible proof that these two Russian security service personnel were the perpetrators of this attack? No, all we have is proof they were here at that time, that they handled the same chemical agent (traces found in their London hotel) and that the chemical agent was manufactured in Russia (albeit during the Soviet era). Not a smoking gun, for sure, but sometimes a mass of circumstantial evidence can be sufficient to gain a conviction (not that there's any chance of that, as these two individuals are effectively untouchable).
VP959 is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 21:41
  #3157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Age: 56
Posts: 1,771
VP959 Thanks for your good summary. There are certainly some holes in the storyline but let's keep them aside for the time being.
Can we from that narrative infer that it was a sanctioned hit? And if so what was the purpose of it? For some posters here Putin seems Satan reincarned. Even if I have little sympathy for him I certainly see an intelligent and capable operator. Why would have he sent those bozos to perform such a weird hit at such an inconvenient time?
atakacs is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 21:49
  #3158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: yes
Posts: 175
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Steepclimb: Yet another hysterical post! Who exactly are these Russian trolls? Name and shame them. Are you perhaps the ghost of Joe McCarthy, risen from the grave? Your post certainly read like something one would have expected from him. Reds under the bed, what?
I know you will certainly overlook this, so I shall repeat: I am not a pro-Russian sympathiser, apologist etc. However, I do believe in fair play and the principle of 'Innocent until proven guilty'. And in this case we have had volumes from your fellow travellers, telling us how the Russian government were 100% for certain behind this and other 'plots'. Yet, until now, not a scintilla of evidence has been produced. If Mrs May was so absolutely certain, why has she not produced the evidence? I realise she could not have gone to Peckham Police Station in the hope of getting a charge and a conviction. She could have gone via the U.N. though. Surely, all she would need do would be to lay all the "evidence" she has before the Security Council and have them take it up with the Russian government. Until the UK government do this, we must assume there is no concrete evidence and therefore the Russians are not guilty thus far. I say "thus far" as I have no idea whether or not the government can find the appropriate hat and pull a rabbit from it. If our government could do this, I would support them.
Meanwhile, calling anyone who questions the government should not be called 'Russian Trolls'.
So, a peaceful protest was broken up in Moscow. Has that never happened here? We are only 2 weeks away from the 200th anniversary of Peterloo. And a mere 35 years on from the barbarity displayed during the miners strike.
Perhaps it wold be a good idea to refrain from calling posters by any names while wait for the clear, overwhelming evidence that anyone is guilty of anything. Shouting "Troll" at anybody who dares disagree with your opinion hardly does credit either to this forum or yourself.
Hysterical!? I actually find it very hard to post this from laughing. Yes I am now hysterical, Joe McCarthy, Jesus Christ that's priceless.
Fair Play? you have got to be kidding. You're a funny man.

Then you bring up Peterloo. 200 hundred years ago. Stop please, I can hardly see because of the tears from laughing so much.

Pity the Russian opposition of today though. Nothing funny about that, living in an oppressive fascist state.

Seriously mate you are a parody of yourself. Almost hysterical if I may say.

Look forward to your next missive. I love political comedy.

I hope you're being paid, you deserve it. It's comedy gold.
​​​​​​
Steepclimb is offline  
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 21:55
  #3159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: yes
Posts: 175
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
KelvinD You're right to highlight the nature and extent of the evidence in this case. This is what we know, beyond any reasonable doubt, and what we have in the form of circumstantial evidence:

1. The attack used a chemical agent, A234, that was from a specific batch, manufactured in the former Soviet Union as a part of their Foliant programme, most probably at Shikhany, some time in the late 1970s. The identification of the agent used has been confirmed by four independent OPCW labs.

2. At the time of the attack on the Skripals, two men, who have been positively identified as members of the Russian security service, were seen in several locations in Salisbury, including one close to the Skripal's home, as well as in a London hotel, where traces of the same chemical agent were found.

3. The two members of the Russian Security Service appeared on Russian TV and explained that their visit to Salisbury, on the day after the "Beast from the East" snow storm, was only sight seeing. They were there to look at the famous Salisbury cathedral spire, which, as they stated, when interviewed on TV, is 123 metres high.

4. A bottle, labelled as being perfume, but containing the same A-234 as used in the Skripal attack, was discovered not far from a place in Salisbury where the two Russians were known to have been, by a drug addict. He gave it to his girlfriend, who apparently sprayed some on her wrist, collapsed, and died.

Do we have incontrovertible proof that these two Russian security service personnel were the perpetrators of this attack? No, all we have is proof they were here at that time, that they handled the same chemical agent (traces found in their London hotel) and that the chemical agent was manufactured in Russia (albeit during the Soviet era). Not a smoking gun, for sure, but sometimes a mass of circumstantial evidence can be sufficient to gain a conviction (not that there's any chance of that, as these two individuals are effectively untouchable).
You summarised it neatly but as you say the agents are untouchable, Putin is untouchable and as always defended by his friends.
Realpolitik, I'm afraid. But I do like baiting the trolls, paid or misled.
Steepclimb is offline  
Old 4th Aug 2019, 06:46
  #3160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,295
Originally Posted by Steepclimb View Post
But I do like baiting the trolls, paid or misled.
I don't think anyone would disagree that you are indeed a complete master-baiter.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.