Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

US Politics Hamsterwheel v2.0

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

US Politics Hamsterwheel v2.0

Old 26th Nov 2019, 23:22
  #19821 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 717
Does stating an opinion under oath turn it into a Fact in your mind?
Now, that's a conundrum. If you give an opinion, whether or not under oath, it remains an opinion. And an opinion only becomes a fact if someone was to say "He/she gave that opinion".
Regardless, who exactly do you have in mind there?
KelvinD is offline  
Old 26th Nov 2019, 23:38
  #19822 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 594
who exactly do you have in mind there?
We saw last week a steady parade of "witnesses" who, when pressed, admitted that most of their testimony was their own opinion and conclusion. However, to read the press, these were all "bombshell" "explosive" and therefore facts clearly indicating that impeachment is just around the corner.

However, the interest in pursuing appears to be waning.
obgraham is online now  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 00:44
  #19823 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,502
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
We saw last week a steady parade of "witnesses" who, when pressed, admitted that most of their testimony was their own opinion and conclusion. However, to read the press, these were all "bombshell" "explosive" and therefore facts clearly indicating that impeachment is just around the corner.

However, the interest in pursuing appears to be waning.
Kinda like the 2016 elections. MSM had Hillary’s coronation set to go. If one studied the metrics however, reality was lurking like the 7/8th of the iceberg no one sees. If one was content to buy the MSM’s narrative however, Hillary would win in a landslide.

Witness at the circus offers hearsay, CNN sells it as gospel.
West Coast is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 05:21
  #19824 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Korea
Age: 58
Posts: 117
pattern_is_full,
Im sure many people read your factual post to the end and could understand it.
Cool Guys is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 06:08
  #19825 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 594
Cool Guys:

This is ENTIRELY the point! Pattern files several long posts (a la Chuks, sadly missing here now!), and defines them as FACTS because in his mind they are. However, reality rears its ugly head -- these are just his opinions. Never for a moment have I denied his right to those opinions, but that does not make them facts.

Unfortunately, some folks looking in from outside will see that, and think "OK now I understand". Everything we post here (me too) is opinion. 99% of what we see in the media is now opinion.

And Mr Trump is still President, with no sign that his term will be ending until January 20, 2025.
obgraham is online now  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 15:17
  #19826 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle America
Age: 79
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Cool Guys:

This is ENTIRELY the point! Pattern files several long posts (a la Chuks, sadly missing here now!), and defines them as FACTS because in his mind they are. However, reality rears its ugly head -- these are just his opinions. Never for a moment have I denied his right to those opinions, but that does not make them facts.

Unfortunately, some folks looking in from outside will see that, and think "OK now I understand". Everything we post here (me too) is opinion. 99% of what we see in the media is now opinion.

And Mr Trump is still President, with no sign that his term will be ending until January 20, 2025.
obgraham, Not everything posted is opinion:
Fact:
US Constitution, Article I, Section 9, Clause 8. No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
Fact:
When Trump became president, he swore that he would “faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.”
Fact:
For the first time since the Constitution was ratified, both federal courts agreed with the plaintiffs that “emoluments” means “any profit, gain, or advantage” and rejected the president’s more narrow definition of “emoluments” to mean only a payment made as compensation for official services.

But I do think all can agree your last sentence is truly a 100% personal opinion...
Turbine D is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 19:59
  #19827 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,502
Originally Posted by Two's in View Post
Some inspirational leadership at the Department of Defense today, Richard Spencer, the Navy Secretary, has been fired by Mark Esper, the SecDef. It's all about the handling of the convicted SEAL case, and the input from the Commander in Chief of course. In his resignation letter, SECNAV states that the rule of law “...sets us apart from our adversaries” and that “good order and discipline is what has enabled our victory against foreign tyranny time and again”. You can see how these are unfamiliar concepts at the top of the current administration.

TI,

You seem to be on your moral high horse about the Gallagher case. Perhaps you can spare some of your scorn for the government’s careless prosecution of the case. The Navy is deserving of the black eye it received, imagine you’ll see it otherwise.

https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/20...oAHxg.facebook
West Coast is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 20:18
  #19828 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yakima
Posts: 53
Ha Ha Ha. Our 'President' posted this on Twitter......... What can one say except how .... Presidential. He's certainly grown into the job.


Winemaker is offline  
Old 27th Nov 2019, 21:10
  #19829 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 594
I think it is brilliant!

Liberal heads are exploding so loudly I can hear them in my bathroom!
obgraham is online now  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 05:51
  #19830 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 27
That’s wasn’t liberal heads you heard. It was the world falling down in laughter! Promise
Dea Certe is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 13:43
  #19831 (permalink)  
Below the Glidepath - not correcting
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,630
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
TI,

You seem to be on your moral high horse about the Gallagher case. Perhaps you can spare some of your scorn for the government’s careless prosecution of the case. The Navy is deserving of the black eye it received, imagine you’ll see it otherwise.

https://www.navytimes.com/opinion/20...oAHxg.facebook
Not at all. Anyone who has spent any time in the military knows that the military justice system at an operational level is fundamentally flawed. The military police are either ill-equipped or insufficiently trained to conduct objective investigations, the military prosecutorial system is effectively geared to the assumption of guilt, and Courts Martials are the ultimate in Brass ass-covering exercises. This is a well-known and accepted fact. If you get charged with anything in the military, investing in a trained lawyer with a pulse gives you more than a reasonable chance of getting off.

Putting aside our polar opposite political views, it was always going to be a massive cluster-fark to inject executive level input in to what was already a stinking festering case. It was a brilliant strategy by the defense team to get the C-In-C stating their clients innocence on Fox news, and so it has transpired. But that changes nothing - Gallagher's conduct was judged by the rest of his team when the charges were laid and nothing the executive branch says will change any of that. He may be grateful for not being on a murder charge, but the conduct, professionalism and integrity of military operations has a very dark stain on it now, all because it was vote winning exercise for this administration.
Two's in is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 13:54
  #19832 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 31
Read the transcript!

Like reconstructed and edited transcripts, pictures never lie! And the liberal, treasonous mainstream media has been reporting that the man is clinically obese!
Crabman is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 14:48
  #19833 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 368
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Like reconstructed and edited transcripts, pictures never lie! And the liberal, treasonous mainstream media has been reporting that the man is clinically obese!
Bang on! I’m looking at the picture and he clearly isn’t obese. That man’s got the body of Vladimir Putin on him.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 28th Nov 2019, 16:41
  #19834 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,502
Originally Posted by Two's in View Post
Not at all. Anyone who has spent any time in the military knows that the military justice system at an operational level is fundamentally flawed. The military police are either ill-equipped or insufficiently trained to conduct objective investigations, the military prosecutorial system is effectively geared to the assumption of guilt, and Courts Martials are the ultimate in Brass ass-covering exercises. This is a well-known and accepted fact. If you get charged with anything in the military, investing in a trained lawyer with a pulse gives you more than a reasonable chance of getting off.

Putting aside our polar opposite political views, it was always going to be a massive cluster-fark to inject executive level input in to what was already a stinking festering case. It was a brilliant strategy by the defense team to get the C-In-C stating their clients innocence on Fox news, and so it has transpired. But that changes nothing - Gallagher's conduct was judged by the rest of his team when the charges were laid and nothing the executive branch says will change any of that. He may be grateful for not being on a murder charge, but the conduct, professionalism and integrity of military operations has a very dark stain on it now, all because it was vote winning exercise for this administration.
And the medical system...

I’m not asking about your beliefs about the legal system rather questioning your silence about the injustice to Chief Gallagher.
West Coast is offline  
Old 29th Nov 2019, 22:44
  #19835 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 27
Do you know Chief Gallergher? Why would his squad lie about him? To my knowledge the teams are quite loyal to each other, lots of professional respect and bonding among themselves.
Dea Certe is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 02:45
  #19836 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,502
Originally Posted by Dea Certe View Post
Do you know Chief Gallergher? Why would his squad lie about him? To my knowledge the teams are quite loyal to each other, lots of professional respect and bonding among themselves.
You seem to have some greater knowledge of the SEALs, why would they?
West Coast is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 07:33
  #19837 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA
Posts: 27
My father was career Navy. My husband was a Navy pilot. We have friends and family still active duty. My late FIL was an Admiral. We were in North Island back when. So, I know a little about the Life.
Dea Certe is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 09:42
  #19838 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reading
Age: 36
Posts: 100
Originally Posted by Dea Certe View Post
My father was career Navy. My husband was a Navy pilot. We have friends and family still active duty. My late FIL was an Admiral. We were in North Island back when. So, I know a little about the Life.
No doubt what you've said is true. You'll probably just be smeared by people who claim to be patriots while defending a president who is clearly advancing the interests of foreign powers against America. Imagine having so much hate you would rather see a foreign power, Russia no less, take over your politics, than do something about it. Because it makes a few democrats upset. It also makes real republicans, who actually give a damn about America, upset.

,
neila83 is offline  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 10:05
  #19839 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 930
If it's any consolation, your much revered, albeit by himself, Commander in Chief will be away from your shores for a few days next week, ostensibly something to do with N.A.T.O but also to check on the progress of the latest U.S Protectorate ( the UK's not yet quite qualified for State status )......unfortunately, he's also coming back to you later in the week.......sorry about the unhappy ending.

Sadly, unlike his two previous visits, I won't be joining the happy throng to give him a rapturous welcome to our shores......
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 30th Nov 2019, 12:53
  #19840 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle America
Age: 79
Posts: 1,147
Originally Posted by West Coast View Post
You seem to have some greater knowledge of the SEALs, why would they?
You seem to have greater knowledge than anyone else, why wouldn't they?
Turbine D is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.