Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

[email protected]*^%#* Hi Vis Vests

Old 12th Dec 2011, 16:25
  #101 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 67
Posts: 884
Rambo.......or Darwin candidate..

Party-goer killed in hit-and-run as driver 'failed to to see him in Rambo camouflage outfit' | Mail Online
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2011, 15:34
  #102 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 74
Posts: 1,859
How many hi-viz jackets can you spot?

BBC News - Tram test trials get on track

(hard hats, too . . . )
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2011, 19:11
  #103 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 133
The Prudhoe Bay oil fields are dominated by the big company safety mentality, to the point that it overflows onto all the sub-contractors as well. The last time I was up there even the dish washer at the hotel was required to wear safety glasses.
Caboclo is offline  
Old 13th Dec 2011, 20:56
  #104 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: East of LGB
Age: 64
Posts: 620
How many hi-viz jackets can you spot?
10 jackets, 11 hard hats.

One of the Suits in the tram had a hard hat but the Engineer's hard hat looked like it was on the shelf behind him.

Hope it was secured.
11Fan is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 12:51
  #105 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: In the air
Posts: 235
Hi viz

It occurs to me that when everyone is wearing hi-viz no-one is wearing hi-viz. We may have passed that threshold.

Last edited by double_barrel; 14th Apr 2019 at 13:06.
double_barrel is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 14:03
  #106 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,398
Attending some demo in London. The tube train filled up with hi-ris vests.

Fascist thugs? Police on their way to confront fascist thugs?

Nope, these were schoolchildren. It seems that crocodiles of school children are made to wear hi-ris these days.

Oh, and I when I got to the rally, lots more hi-ris. Fascist thugs: No, Police? No. They were the rally's official marshals ... so in this case a sensible use of hi-ris, if only there weren't so many other people wearing it for so many other reasons. As per your post. So I agree with you.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 14:09
  #107 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 74
Posts: 1,859
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
They were the rally's official marshals ... so in this case a sensible use of hi-ris, if only there weren't so many other people wearing it for so many other reasons. As per your post. So I agree with you.
Ir is possible to have hi-viz in colours other than yellow - we have blue for our flood wardens.
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 14:27
  #108 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Angular - apparently!
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Ir is possible to have hi-viz in colours other than yellow - we have blue for our flood wardens.
I do stewarding work at various events in East Angular and I wear orange hi-viz.
barry lloyd is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 16:32
  #109 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford
Posts: 126
There is achap who visits to cut the lawn next door - I'm poor, I do my own - he arrives, opens the security gates - I'm poor i don't have those - enters and closes them, he then puts out various warning boards (man at work etc), turns on his gazillion decibel lawnmower and follows it around the 1/3 acre lawn bedecked in his hiz viz jacket in case someone (normally no-one in) doesn't realise he is there and what he is doing, with what and falls under his lawnmower !!!

WTF ?
Senior Paper Monitor is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 17:10
  #110 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 270
Originally Posted by Senior Paper Monitor View Post
There is achap who visits to cut the lawn next door - I'm poor, I do my own - he arrives, opens the security gates - I'm poor i don't have those - enters and closes them, he then puts out various warning boards (man at work etc), turns on his gazillion decibel lawnmower and follows it around the 1/3 acre lawn bedecked in his hiz viz jacket in case someone (normally no-one in) doesn't realise he is there and what he is doing, with what and falls under his lawnmower !!!

WTF ?
I wondered who that was peeking over my fence, now I know.
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 17:31
  #111 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,398
Originally Posted by Senior Paper Monitor View Post
WTF ?
WTF? Once Upon A Time on the other side of the world a visiting child, who had never visited before and whom the lawnmower man didn't even know existed, managed to sneak up behind a lawnmower, dart in front of it, and get themselves killed, so now this is what the insurance company insists on? And the lawnmower man thinks it's as daft as you do?

Mind you, my lad said he's going to start taking the rule about wearing eye protection seriously since he accidentally shot someone a couple of weeks ago. Someone who couldn't possibly have been there, just like no child could possibly have been on your neighbour's lawn.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 18:43
  #112 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 65
Posts: 211
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
WTF? Once Upon A Time on the other side of the world a visiting child, who had never visited before and whom the lawnmower man didn't even know existed, managed to sneak up behind a lawnmower, dart in front of it, and get themselves killed, so now this is what the insurance company insists on? And the lawnmower man thinks it's as daft as you do?

Mind you, my lad said he's going to start taking the rule about wearing eye protection seriously since he accidentally shot someone a couple of weeks ago. Someone who couldn't possibly have been there, just like no child could possibly have been on your neighbour's lawn.
And just how would a hi-viz vest have made any difference?
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 18:44
  #113 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oxford
Posts: 126
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
WTF? Once Upon A Time on the other side of the world a visiting child, who had never visited before and whom the lawnmower man didn't even know existed, managed to sneak up behind a lawnmower, dart in front of it, and get themselves killed, so now this is what the insurance company insists on? And the lawnmower man thinks it's as daft as you do?

Mind you, my lad said he's going to start taking the rule about wearing eye protection seriously since he accidentally shot someone a couple of weeks ago. Someone who couldn't possibly have been there, just like no child could possibly have been on your neighbour's lawn.
... and the high viz jacket would have stopped him how ?
Senior Paper Monitor is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 18:45
  #114 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 65
Posts: 211
Great minds and all that....
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 18:55
  #115 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Oxfordshire
Posts: 594
I think the school kids wear them so they are easy to spot if one wanders off.

Hi -vis does have value, in the right environment. Every trackworker on the UK railways weas them, and it certainly makes them easy to see at a distance.
Blues&twos is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:38
  #116 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,398
Originally Posted by Senior Paper Monitor View Post
... and the high viz jacket would have stopped him how ?
It wouldn't. But don't tell me, tell the insurance company.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:48
  #117 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,515
But if I wear a hi vis jacket I will be easy to see so I will be much safer walking my black dog in a dark road on a hidden bend.

Also, when exiting my aircraft in my cam gear, as soon as I don my hi viz jacket I can walk across the manoeuvring area in perfect safety.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:51
  #118 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: At work (Often)
Posts: 9
I only wear high vis to blend in.
Falcon Al is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 19:54
  #119 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 659
we don't need hi viz jackets, we need hi viz propellors, hi viz turbine nozzles, hi viz tail rotors, hi viz lawn mower decks etc.

Rans6.....................
rans6andrew is offline  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 20:02
  #120 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: One Three Seven, Disco Heaven.
Age: 60
Posts: 1,253
Can't stand that fluro yellow/green colour. It gets dirty to easily and just blends in. I much prefer the orange, as there's no way you can miss that. I've noticed that the orange colour seems to be the preferred choice of "management", and get the impression it is to distinguish management from the workforce.
Dan Gerous is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.