Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Formula 1

Old 13th Jul 2021, 07:21
  #9601 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,021
Really? He drove his McLaren and wore a £40K watch to a football match in Wembley? Lucky he didn’t get his car scratched up as well…

https://www.theguardian.com/football...uro-2020-final


F1 driver Lando Norris ‘shaken’ after being mugged at Euro 2020 final

British Formula One driver Lando Norris was mugged after attending the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy at Wembley on Sunday, his McLaren team said.

The team added in a statement the 21-year-old had his watch stolen. “Thankfully, Lando was unharmed but he is understandably shaken,” the team added.

“The team is supporting Lando and we are sure that racing fans will join us in wishing him all the best for the British Grand Prix this weekend. As this is now a police matter we cannot comment further,” it added.

Media reported the watch was worth £40,000 and was taken as he approached his McLaren sports car near the stadium.….

ORAC is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 07:29
  #9602 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,021
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-f1-motorsport

Hamilton Commission report aims to improve diversity in motorsport

Lewis Hamilton has announced the findings of the commission he created to investigate how to improve diversity in motorsport, citing “far-reaching” problems that need to be addressed.

The world champion has made a strong personal commitment to countering racial inequality and wanted to find ways to improve the racial mix across racing, which is still a predominantly white, male sport.

He established the Hamilton Commission last year in partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering to research why so few BAME people were entering motorsport and having identified the barriers, draw up plans for what could be done to ensure the sport has a more diverse make up.

The report, which will be published on Tuesday, is titled: “Accelerating change: improving representation of black people in UK motorsport”. It identifies several key areas to be addressed with the ambition of making a long-term change.

These include calling for F1 teams to adopt a diversity and inclusion charter; for teams and motor racing businesses to expand apprenticeships and the establishment of scholarship programmes to help black students progress into motorsport.

The report also emphasises addressing a wider perspective beyond racing, including a fund to address the factors that contribute to a high proportion of black students being excluded from school; new approaches to increase the number of black teachers in STEM subjects and the creation of supplementary schooling led by black community groups to promote STEM activity….

Hamilton will be attempting to carry out the recommendations through his own endeavour, including making a financial commitment, as well as working with his Mercedes team, F1, the motorsport industry, charities and other organisations.….



ORAC is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 10:51
  #9603 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,197
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Really? He drove his McLaren and wore a £40K watch to a football match in Wembley? Lucky he didn’t get his car scratched up as well…

https://www.theguardian.com/football...uro-2020-final


F1 driver Lando Norris ‘shaken’ after being mugged at Euro 2020 final

British Formula One driver Lando Norris was mugged after attending the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy at Wembley on Sunday, his McLaren team said.

The team added in a statement the 21-year-old had his watch stolen. “Thankfully, Lando was unharmed but he is understandably shaken,” the team added.

“The team is supporting Lando and we are sure that racing fans will join us in wishing him all the best for the British Grand Prix this weekend. As this is now a police matter we cannot comment further,” it added.

Media reported the watch was worth £40,000 and was taken as he approached his McLaren sports car near the stadium.….
Perhaps if the numbers of police hadn't been cut by thousands he could expect a safer experience.
TURIN is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 10:59
  #9604 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-f1-motorsport

Hamilton Commission report aims to improve diversity in motorsport

Lewis Hamilton has announced the findings of the commission he created to investigate how to improve diversity in motorsport, citing “far-reaching” problems that need to be addressed.

The world champion has made a strong personal commitment to countering racial inequality and wanted to find ways to improve the racial mix across racing, which is still a predominantly white, male sport.

He established the Hamilton Commission last year in partnership with the Royal Academy of Engineering to research why so few BAME people were entering motorsport and having identified the barriers, draw up plans for what could be done to ensure the sport has a more diverse make up.

The report, which will be published on Tuesday, is titled: “Accelerating change: improving representation of black people in UK motorsport”. It identifies several key areas to be addressed with the ambition of making a long-term change.

These include calling for F1 teams to adopt a diversity and inclusion charter; for teams and motor racing businesses to expand apprenticeships and the establishment of scholarship programmes to help black students progress into motorsport.

The report also emphasises addressing a wider perspective beyond racing, including a fund to address the factors that contribute to a high proportion of black students being excluded from school; new approaches to increase the number of black teachers in STEM subjects and the creation of supplementary schooling led by black community groups to promote STEM activity….

Hamilton will be attempting to carry out the recommendations through his own endeavour, including making a financial commitment, as well as working with his Mercedes team, F1, the motorsport industry, charities and other organisations.….
Orac
Having spent quite a bit of time in the NW of the UK recently I would say there are many in the Bame community who like motorsport just not the legal type.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 11:08
  #9605 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 435
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Really? He drove his McLaren and wore a £40K watch to a football match in Wembley? Lucky he didn’t get his car scratched up as well…

https://www.theguardian.com/football...uro-2020-final


F1 driver Lando Norris ‘shaken’ after being mugged at Euro 2020 final

British Formula One driver Lando Norris was mugged after attending the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy at Wembley on Sunday, his McLaren team said.

The team added in a statement the 21-year-old had his watch stolen. “Thankfully, Lando was unharmed but he is understandably shaken,” the team added.

“The team is supporting Lando and we are sure that racing fans will join us in wishing him all the best for the British Grand Prix this weekend. As this is now a police matter we cannot comment further,” it added.

Media reported the watch was worth £40,000 and was taken as he approached his McLaren sports car near the stadium.….
I’m surprised a mouthpiece of the so called “Law and Order” party would highlight this incident, let alone appear to imply that said incident is only to be expected….
Avionker is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 11:39
  #9606 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
Really? He drove his McLaren and wore a £40K watch to a football match in Wembley? Lucky he didn’t get his car scratched up as well…

https://www.theguardian.com/football...uro-2020-final


F1 driver Lando Norris ‘shaken’ after being mugged at Euro 2020 final

British Formula One driver Lando Norris was mugged after attending the Euro 2020 final between England and Italy at Wembley on Sunday, his McLaren team said.

The team added in a statement the 21-year-old had his watch stolen. “Thankfully, Lando was unharmed but he is understandably shaken,” the team added.

“The team is supporting Lando and we are sure that racing fans will join us in wishing him all the best for the British Grand Prix this weekend. As this is now a police matter we cannot comment further,” it added.

Media reported the watch was worth £40,000 and was taken as he approached his McLaren sports car near the stadium.….
Why shouldn't he wear his watch & drive his car? Blaming the victim rather than condemning the criminals...
alfaman is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 12:34
  #9607 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 890
I would have thought he had a secure parking area at Wembley along with other high profile guests. I do not think he would be parking just of the North Circular, do you. If so I am quite surprised that a mugger got into the car park but maybe they broke in with all those other Inguland fans.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 14:42
  #9608 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 185
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
I would have thought he had a secure parking area at Wembley along with other high profile guests. I do not think he would be parking just of the North Circular, do you. If so I am quite surprised that a mugger got into the car park but maybe they broke in with all those other Inguland fans.

Cheers
Mr Mac
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57818938 - the BBC say he used an official Wembley car park.
alfaman is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2021, 15:00
  #9609 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 20,457
Probably no great loss, his McLaren team watch probably runs slower than the Red Bull and Mercedes versions.

Last edited by NutLoose; 14th Jul 2021 at 09:07.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 03:15
  #9610 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
Probably no great loss, his McLaren team watch probably runs slower that the Red Bull and Mercedes versions.

Well that’s what happens when you abide by the FIA rules and don’t cheat.
Jonno_aus is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 06:29
  #9611 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 848
6:00 pm Friday start for qualifying is 2:00 am summertime here, and 3:00 am the rest of the year, so that's me out.

Reading the BBC article on this new-style weekend, they seem to be suggesting that the Saturday afternoon so-called 'sprint' race will quite likely be a series of DRS chains, i.e. a mini version, of Sunday's race.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57839254

What do the PPrundits say?
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 12:31
  #9612 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,293
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
6:00 pm Friday start for qualifying is 2:00 am summertime here, and 3:00 am the rest of the year, so that's me out.

Reading the BBC article on this new-style weekend, they seem to be suggesting that the Saturday afternoon so-called 'sprint' race will quite likely be a series of DRS chains, i.e. a mini version, of Sunday's race.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57839254

What do the PPrundits say?
There might be a few shuffles from the qualifying results where people get an unusually good (or bad) release from the grid, but once they are past turn 1 I can't see any justification for expecting a lot of changes to the race order. If I was Renault or Alpha Tauri I might have a strong temptation to send Ocon/Tsunoda on a banzai run to take out the leaders at Turn 1 so that Alonso/Gasly might get a front grid slot. Also you may well find the poorer teams telling their drivers to hold back rather than risk a few hundred grand's worth of damage and a major overnight repair/rebuild (with only the reconnaissance laps for installation test and trim adjustments) before the race the next day.

My personal view is that it's a silly idea which will probably last as long as the sudden-death quali idea.

PDR
PDR1 is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 13:51
  #9613 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
A silly idea indeed. What they should’ve done is had some championship points available for the top 3. You’d see some action then.
Jonno_aus is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 13:55
  #9614 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
6:00 pm Friday start for qualifying is 2:00 am summertime here, and 3:00 am the rest of the year, so that's me out.

Reading the BBC article on this new-style weekend, they seem to be suggesting that the Saturday afternoon so-called 'sprint' race will quite likely be a series of DRS chains, i.e. a mini version, of Sunday's race.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57839254

What do the PPrundits say?
PPRuNe won't let me quote two posts at once, but I'm with PDR1. While the temptation for a "banzai charge" may be there, I suspect we'll get the DRS train and maybe an overtake or two, perhaps some squabbling at the back of the pack. I don't see anyone risking serious damage before the actual race on Sunday.

My prediction: when it's all sorted out, Sunday's grid won't look that much different than the traditional format.
Tango and Cash is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 14:21
  #9615 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 40
Next years car just launched . It looks a lot smaller, a lot rounder, smaller rear wing, larger side pods, less fiddly bits. Be interesting to see what the teams version of it will be.

The drivers don't seem overly impressed.
Except George Russell, who probably can't wait to get in it.
Bee Rexit is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 16:26
  #9616 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 132
I think it looks pretty good, particularly the front wing, the new style endplates remind me of an aircraft winglet, and hopefully should be a bit stronger than the current set up. Is every car going to be aerodynamically identical or is there any wriggle room in the regs for the aero guys to exploit?
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 23:17
  #9617 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 848
Quick 2021~2022 car comparison link to make things easier to visualize: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...EQ3P4RsK9.html
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 16th Jul 2021, 09:19
  #9618 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,021
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...ealed/6631062/

Mercedes' F1 upgrade revealed ahead of British GP
ORAC is online now  
Old 16th Jul 2021, 09:23
  #9619 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 848
F1 looking at hydrogen? Ross Brawn.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/57842205
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 16th Jul 2021, 19:29
  #9620 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,293
We'll that was one of the more exciting quali sessions we've had for a while. Obvs well done to SLH, but mega respect to George - that lap was about a second faster than the car was capable of. Total precision, absolute concentration. And the crowd loved him for it.

PDR
PDR1 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.