Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Formula 1

Old 28th May 2018, 07:52
  #6581 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 393
Yes LlamaFarmer has stated it well. We who have watched a lot of races can still be impressed by a driver who can cope with a major car problem to the extent that he didn't just keep going where many would have retired, but was able to win despite the problem (or "issue" in effonespeak). A real racer.
I approve of Monaco as it has almost everything that's missing from the Tilkedromes. Therefore it has simple racing without the artificiality of penalties for crossing some white line or other.
Allan Lupton is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 09:07
  #6582 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
Danny did good, but let's not get carried away here, chaps. Danny successfully managed a problem in a broken car and kept the car running to the end of the race - that was good, but other drivers have done it too. A few weeks ago Alonso gained places in a Mclaren whose floor had been stripped of almost all the features to make its diffuser work. Go back over the years and you'll find similar examples from Vettel, Hamilton, Button etc. Danny was left in a car that could run, but was resticted to a pace which was 5-10secs off the expected race-pace, which would normally see the car move to the back of the field over a dozen laps and then be retired because there was no point in putting the hours on the engine.

But in this instance it happened to the car that was leading at Monaco, and in Monaco track position is everything - power means very little. He was in a nimble car which featured in the slow-speed corners and which could be kind to its tyres in the process, so as long as he could accelerate out of the corners it really didn't matter that he was ~20mph down on peak speed on the straights because the straights aren't long enough to allow a following car to benefit from a speed difference enough to offset the earlier drive out of the corners which are the Red Bulls USP.

The other drivers all said they were circulating at a cruising speed - they couldn't go any faster because they couldn't overtake. You can clearly see this from the way that almost all the cars stayed out on knackered tyres even though on paper the ~20secs of a pit stop could have been recovered in 3 laps on a fresh set because in reality unless EVERYONE changed tyres they'd just end up stuck behind cars 20secs down the field even though they were in a much faster car. This is what happened to Bottas, and it's what happened to Hamilton in 2015, so there was all the data they needed. So Danny won because the milk float he was driving was blocking the single-track road and preventing all the fast cars from getting past. That's all. Kudos to him for managing the problems, but let's not over-egg this. Everyone knows that the faster cars (like the Ferrari and the Merc) are designed for the faster circuits rather than the restricted track at Monaco - it's probably the only place where the nimbleness of the RB can shine. This isn't a retrospective excuse; the teams have been saying it for weeks. Mercedes clearly said that their sole objective here was damage limitation because their car would be slaughtered on this track. For them getting 3rd and 5th was actually a major success. Vettel barely doing any better was the cherry on the cake. If you want to see something impressive - well Hamilton managing to get that car into 3rd on the grid at Monaco was pretty spectacular IMHO...

Monaco is like the F1 annual dinner-dance with a bit of a car show laid on to entertain the guests. It is now and always has been a social event, not a race.

Ä0.0004 supplied,

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 09:43
  #6583 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,812
It does beg the question "Why have a DRS Zone at Monaco?", if a car that's down some 160bhp can't even be overtaken.
spekesoftly is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 10:23
  #6584 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 699
Yup, there's many a true word spoken on this site. Perhaps each team should buy, tune and field a replica or two from the Golden Years, more like Glorious Goodwood.
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 10:37
  #6585 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
They have a DRS zone because it would be controversial to not have one. Last year when asked about the placement of the monaco DRS zone Hamilton joked that they may as well put it in the pit lane...

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 10:39
  #6586 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that there IS a race at Monaco, but it's on the saturday rather than the sunday.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 11:04
  #6587 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: europe
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by PDR1 View Post
The other drivers all said they were circulating at a cruising speed - they couldn't go any faster because they couldn't overtake.
Nobody told Verstappen about that rule .
arketip is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 11:18
  #6588 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by arketip View Post
Nobody told Verstappen about that rule .
Actually they did. Aside from the start there is one overtaking spot, and that's only available against the less experienced drivers who lack the presence of mind to defend it.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 28th May 2018, 23:27
  #6589 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 64
Posts: 2,768
Monaco demonstrates the stupidity of the current aero rules - if I driver gets within a second or so the aero washes out so much that they can't get out of the corner well enough to make a pass on a competitive car - even if as demonstrated the lead car is wounded and 20kph slower down the straight. Yes, a longer straight helps, but the fundamental problem is they can't follow closely without killing their tires.
That Mad Max - who was quick enough he would have started on the front row - stalled out as soon as he got into the top ten says it all.
Get rid of the most of the wings and perhaps Monaco could work again.
Have to say though, the in car video at Monaco is mesmerizing ...
tdracer is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 03:55
  #6590 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Search me - I only just got out of bed ....
Age: 75
Posts: 471
I've always watched the Monaco event for as long as I can recall in recent times - up until this year. Monaco always managed to bring back fading memories when the event first came to Australia (in Adelaide) in a way that somehow no other venue could. The sound from Monaco relived the incredible cacophony which was a good part of the overall experience when they raced in streets which I normally drive. I also walked much of the Monaco circuit when I was a tourist there about five years ago; this served only to further stimulate the awe of the event and the extraordinary talents of the drivers who navigated the circuit at seemingly impossible speeds with such courage and skill.

Alas, this year it wasn't possible. The live TV coverage was restricted to those having pay TV. There was apparently a partial replay of the event by a free to air channel at some ridiculous hour of the morning, but I'm no longer that keen. There is nothing else in a pay TV subscription that I would be even faintly interested in, so I had to be happy with the newspaper reports and the brief snippets on the evening news (and of course the JB reports).
FullOppositeRudder is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 04:08
  #6591 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 699
FOR, that is how I have been for the last few years, outraged, miffed and absolutely refusing to pay to watch F1, along with millions of erstwhile fans lost by Ecclestone and co.
This April I finally bit the bullet and signed up to a fairly cheap deal that gives me excellent coverage, in Japanese. Banzai!
jolihokistix is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 10:34
  #6592 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 169
Here we are full race:-


.
Nervous SLF is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 10:49
  #6593 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by FullOppositeRudder View Post
Alas, this year it wasn't possible. The live TV coverage was restricted to those having pay TV.
Huh? It was screened live on channel 4 wasn't it?

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 14:56
  #6594 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 1,812
Yes it was, but probably not available in Australia!
spekesoftly is offline  
Old 29th May 2018, 15:21
  #6595 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: last time I looked I was still here.
Posts: 4,509
Monaco is to FI racing what the Oscars are to film making. It's a big G&T event. If no drivers lived there would it even happen? It's a party not a race. Gain pole, nothing goes wrong, and win the race. For the data hounds: what % of winners have been the pole sitter? IMHO F1 is not designed for street circuits. They has only been a money printing & pocket lining exercise for the mandarins of the sport in years gone by. For the race fans Monaco, especially, is a non-event.

What wold have been interesting is to see highlights of max's charge from last to 9th. I did see some of his overtakes and they were courageous and skilful.
RAT 5 is offline  
Old 30th May 2018, 08:01
  #6596 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Search me - I only just got out of bed ....
Age: 75
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by Nervous SLF View Post
Here we are full race:-

.
Well thank you, most sincerely. I searched on the night without success, and now here it is, and I'm not disappointed. I'm still astonished just how quickly a lap is completed, and marvel at them flashing down the short straight past the pizza restaurant we went to one evening.

Thank you again Sir, PPRuNe and the generosity of its contributors to the rescue once again
FullOppositeRudder is offline  
Old 31st May 2018, 05:58
  #6597 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: 500 miles from Chaikhosi, Yogistan
Posts: 3,661
No races are free to air in oz any more. They are on pay tv only, and presumably because of that desk we canít get the streaming service from F1 which Iíd pay for.

However, one could use a VPN and watch channel 4ís UK coverage online perfectly well.
compressor stall is online now  
Old 31st May 2018, 08:31
  #6598 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Middlesbrough U.K.
Age: 82
Posts: 357
Originally Posted by compressor stall View Post

However, one could use a VPN and watch channel 4’s UK coverage online perfectly well.
Only certain races are screened live on U.K Channel 4, not all of them. I'm sure that since the Yanks took over they have lost several million viewers worldwide because of "pay as you view". Ones who also suffer are sponsors who put thier adverts on the cars as not so many people see them now. The excitment has also gone out of the racing.
Lancelot37 is online now  
Old 31st May 2018, 09:20
  #6599 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 37
The excitment has also gone out of the racing.
I disagree somewhat with that. Most of last season was good and the first four races this year were good, Just Barcelona and the god awful Monaco have been a let down. Hopefully a fun filled Canada next.
Bee Rexit is offline  
Old 31st May 2018, 09:42
  #6600 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,259
Originally Posted by Lancelot37 View Post
I'm sure that since the Yanks took over they have lost several million viewers worldwide because of "pay as you view".
LibertyMedia took over last year - live F1 coverage has mostly been on pay-channels for much longer than that. Even in the UK (where F1 is allegedly has the biggest following) the free-to-air live coverage of all races stopped from 2012 because the BBC couldn't justify the cost. The BBC had taken it back after ITV failed to make it work (as a viable business proposition) even with advert breaks during the races. BBC negotiated a deal with Sky which allowed a number of races (half?) to be screened live, always including the first & last races of the season and the British GP, with the remiander covered in highlight form later in the day. BBC handed this deal to Channel 4 in 2015 (again due to public jeering at the expenditure) who now do free-to-air highlights of all races and live coverage of the 10.

I have the sky coverage because it came bundled with my package (if you'll pardon the expression), and I have to say that it's very well done. Their commentary team (Brundle and Croft) are knowledgable and interesting, they have pundit support from Damon Hill, Anthony Davidson, Jonny Herbert, Paul Diresta and Nico Rosberg, plus "magazine" and roving pit-lane/paddock coverage from the wonderful Ted Kravitz & Natalie Pinkham with support from Craig Slater, Marc Priestley and Rachael Brookes. Their mid-weed "F1 Show" analysis programmes are often interesting as well. Overall they seem to have put thought and effort into making a serious go of providing value, information and entertainment where the BBC often just covered the races up to the finish. Whilst I'm no great exponent of pay-TV I think I would probably be prepared to pay for this channel if I didn't already get it in my bundle. YMMV.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.